“Thanksgiving Week” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Charleston, SC
“Thanksgiving Week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2009

Check-in smooth. We looked a bit lost and they quickly offered help. Friendly staff. Renovated older hotel with comfortable rooms. No pool and advertises internet access for a fee. The free downtown wireless internet access point is located on top of the office building next door so we had an excellent wireless connection on the 9th floor. Parking garage is next to the hotel with access from the hotel lower lobby. 6.00/day (city rate) 15.00 /day valet. Valet staff quick and helpful. Ordered evening room service on 4 occasions. 15 - 20 minutes from call to the door. Hotel is reminiscent of the elegant hotels of the past and traditional but not too stuffy. Many restaurants and small shops within walking distance. Seems to be more of a business(non-family) travel type destination but during our stay (Nov. 24 - 28) it was quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Various
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

Have not even left the hotel yet and had to review it for potential customers. I have stayed in some of the nicest hotels across the country and was very excited by my Westin visit with my Starwood Preferred Guest status. The first problem was encountered the first day when i was told by a staff member there was no swimming pool. I booked a room here partially because on the SPG website to advertise the hotel there was a gorgeous picture of a pool in the backyard of this Westin nestled into a forest looking environment. Not even close! Secondly the service, both concierge and room service were the pits. It was as if every one of the staff went on holiday and left two people to run the hotel!! I had to wait to get the concierge, had to ring down two or three times before someone picked up. The same with room service! No one was pickiing up the phone at 10:30 at night! It rang at least a dozen times before I got an answer. Then had the website for the internet hook up tell me that the coupon the hotel gave me had run out of established uses. So I called to the concierge who gave me the number of ATT wireless!! She actually wanted me to fix the problem on my own time!! That same night I went to order a movie and was prompted on the screen that I had to "call down to the front desk" to place the order, which I did, and then was told by the front desk, "I should wait and try to reorder the movie again in another ten minutes via the tv", which I did and then the tv had problems with the picture!! The room service took way too long and when it arrived, after I was thanked for waiting I was told that, "they like to to bunch a few orders together so they go out at the same time", as if I needed a reason why my food didn't get to me in a timely manner..Also, the window in the room is situated across from an office building, so everytime I went to use the head, I could be seen by all the office workers unless I drew the curtains in the middle of the day or tried to close the door to the bathroom with me on the the toilet, which was an impossibility given the size of the bathroom! All in all a thoroughly frustrating, unpleasant , unhospitable visit. Will not stay at another Westin Hotel again. Thanks Starwood!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter R
Edgewood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Hotel was clean and everyone was very pleasant. Hotel was located right downtown near everythng.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

Extremely comfortable hotel. Staff is courteous, helpful, takes care of whatever is needed, from a simple request for extra coffee in our room to literally chopping the nuts on my oatmeal in the morning (which I didn't ask for; my server just did because the pieces were "much too large")! The Fitness Center was excellent... everything I needed for a great workout. Our request for late checkout was granted cheerfully. Wish we could have stayed longer, wish we had more business in Greenville just to stay at the Westin!

Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

The reservation was in my friend's name and she forgot to advise the hotel that I would arrive first. She was on the road and not answering her cell phone so I was a traveler without a room. The desk staffers were very sympathetic as I made myself to home in one of the very comfortable sitting areas in the spacious lobby. They checked on me to see if I was comfortable and needed anything. After an hour or so, they suggested I leave my luggage with them so I could walk the town and stretch my legs. I thought this a good idea as I was getting hungry, so I set out in search of a sandwich. In addition to a sandwich, I found it a very pedestrian- and pet-friendly place. The stroll was wonderful and as I returned to 'my' sitting area to eat my sandwich, the staffers were very kind in offering me water or soda to go with it. The call finally came from my friend and I was shown to our room. Thanks to the helpful, friendly staff downstairs, my three plus hour ordeal was not an ordeal at all.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
Allendale, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

I have spent over 100 nights on the road this year and this is one of better places I have stayed. It’s in the perfect location and the accommodations were perfect. Kudos to Maria at the front desk.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Maryville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

This hotel was typical Westin, which is to say, quiet, business traveler friendly, great location, and comfortable. The staff was very helpful: directed me to a music festival that was going on down the street and to a great bar/restaurant. The room, as with any historic hotel, was on the smaller side. The valet was a gentleman, and we know how I berate the general lack of service given by them.

I only stayed for a night, but I imagine it would be equally good if there for a weekend too.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business