“Good service, horrible food”
Review of The Handlebar - CLOSED

The Handlebar
Cuisines: American
Pickens, South Carolina
“Good service, horrible food”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

It's been years since I've been to The Handlebar with my days at college, often I'd meet my mother and eat there for lunch, the quality has significantly gone down apparently. My wife, mother, and I all ate at The Handlebar for lunch. The server was excellent and took very good care of us but the food wasn't even fit for my dogs. I ordered a meatball sub but wished instead I'd ordered a chicken finger plate (hard to screw that up). Instead of a sub roll type bread, it was more of a french style bread. It was over cooked and generally difficult to eat and the fries were lukewarm, but very tasty (saving grace for them).

My wife ordered a nacho supreme plate, which I'd think is hard to screw up. WRONG! It was sweet tasting and obviously the chilli powder was overly used. The jalapeno peppers did give it the hot sting, but that was it. My wife didn't even finish it and resorted to just munching on my fries. My mother was the only one pleased with her meal. She ordered a chicken wrap. I cannot vouch for the taste but my mother is quite finicky about her food as well. If she enjoyed it then I'm sure it was something my wife and I should have ordered instead of wasting our money and time with our foods.

Overall I've always enjoyed the decorations on the inside and have yet to go to a concert. IF I ever do come back I'll just order a drink and pass on the foods. I'm extremely disappointed. Years ago I could order anything on the menu and be pleased with the food quality. At nearly $7 per plate and a drink, I'm afraid to even waste my appetite and money there again. The server though and I wished I remembered his name was EXCELLENT and I didn't once go thirsty (I drink very fast).

• Visited September 2012

Greenville, South Carolina
“Great wait staff”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

With all the great shows they have at the Handlebar, it's a bonus that they have good food - above your average bar food - and the wait staff has low turnover, and always helpful and friendly. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2012
Greenville, South Carolina
“Go here often to catch a show”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Nice small venue w/good food and good drink selection. The sound is always awesome and they always have a good selection of shows to choose from. If you're in the area and there's a show happening, check it out.

Visited October 2011
Florence, South Carolina
“Mac Arnold Show the greatest!”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Was at the Handlebar for the Mac Arnold New Year's Eve Show. We came to the Handlebar as fans of Mac Arnold, and his show was great as always! The Handlebar had a good set up but some staffing issues. Very hard to get served, and website food menu, and restaurant menu did not match. I plan to revisit the Handlebar for a show, but will have my dinner and drinks before I arrive.

• Visited December 2011