“Small but fun...staff seems arrogant”
Review of Greenville Zoo

Greenville Zoo
Ranked #9 of 99 things to do in Greenville
Type: Other
Reviewed 15 November 2013

For its size and location, the Greenville Zoo offers a fair variety of animals. Of course, due to space limitations, the number of animals is sparse. There is one elephant, three giraffes (Kiko, now a year old, is scheduled to leave in the future), a lion, etc. Not a bad place for younger children who might be overwhelmed and grow tired at a larger zoo.

The staff, from the ticket takers to the zookeepers, have always come across a bit arrogant and condescending. Hadn't been in a while, visited over this summer, and found not much had changed.

A pleasant enough way to spend a morning or an afternoon. temper your expectations, and the Greenville Zoo can be a quality outing.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

You'll find all the most interesting animals at the Greenville zoo. It's very do-able, even for young kids. Not too big that you get lost, but big enough to feel like you got your money's worth out of the tickets. Nice landscaping, clean animal areas, interesting and educational exhibits.

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

This zoo is small but we enjoyed walking around on a beautiful day. We were disappointed that most of the animals kept their backs to us. We love photography so we didn't get any good pictures. The price was affordable $8.00 for admission.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We attended "Boo in the Zoo" this year for the first time. What a great experience! It was like a normal walkthrough of the zoo.... but with neat additions. There were probably 20-25 stations handing out not only candy, but NEAT toys. My children walked away with not only a sizable amount of candy... but animal masks, flashlights, kaleidoscopes, ink stamps, whistles, plastic snakes, etc. It was a STEAL in my opinion regarding the prices for the event. I learned that it is a MUCH shorter line if you prepay for tickets. We waited in line for 45 minutes.... but it was a great experience. The line was moving swiftly the entire time and my normally fussy and impatient 3 and 7 year old were never bored because the line was winding in a way to enjoy hundreds of costumes worn by other trick or treaters. It was moving so nicely, we even had gaps in the line when we paused to adjust a costume, etc. We did Carowinds(during the day- not the scary nighttime event), a pumpkin festival in Grover, NC, a church carnival, etc. This was by far our most enjoyable Halloween event. We also used the bus transportation from County Square and loved the fact that we didn't have to battle traffic or have to walk a long way to our car. I HIGHLY recommend this event to ANYONE with smaller children.

1  Thank StacyZuber
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Zoo admission isn't too high but don't expect a Riverbanks experience either. The zoo is rather small actually, you can walk it well within an hour at a toddler's pace. The paths wind in a such a way to circle and double around to get the most from the acreage. The indoor lion den viewing area was super crowded, as was one of the primate exhibits. If your kids want to get a peek be prepared to wait a good while for your turn. I always feel kind of bad for the animals at zoos because of their confinement in such small spaces and this one was no different, especially the giraffes. Perhaps they have more room to roam when they aren't on exhibit, I don't know. The farm animals at the end were a very good example of this feeling. The play area for small children was a fantastic surprise! My daughter is an only child and doesn't go to daycare so anytime she can interact with other kids is a great bonus for us. Plus there was plenty of seating for parents to take a breather and watch the kiddos play. Zoo is stroller friendly and we pushed ours the whole way through. Bathrooms are located conveniently in the zoo and were maintained better than I expected. The parking lot is right beside a nice little park where you can have a picnic or let your kids play after your zoo visit. We bought animal food but it was wasted. It seemed more animals than not you couldn't feed so the ones you could feed were already quite full! To me it's a been there, done that place but I wouldn't hesitate to return if my daughter wants to, and I'm sure she will when she's older. I would just plan something else on the itinerary for Greenville in addition.