“For chain BBQ, it's about the best you'll find”
Review of Voodoo BBQ - CLOSED

Voodoo BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Fairfax, VA
“For chain BBQ, it's about the best you'll find”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

BBQ purists will scoff at the concept of quality smoked meat coming from a chain restaurant -- especially one based in Louisiana. But VooDoo in Greenville has an awful lot of potential and in some places it already soars.

I was skeptical at first, but since I frequently get to SC, but don't frequently get to LA, I wanted to give this outpost a try. I'm very glad I did. Took my two sons for a Friday lunch last week and it knocked my socks off. I chose brisket and sausage (two easy items to do really badly) and my boys had pulled pork (more forgiving). All of it was dee-lish. The pork was smoky and moist and definitely compares favorably to other local BBQ joints in the area. Brisket was tasty with really nice smoke, but was a tad overdone (shouldn't be this way at lunchtime unless it was recycled form the day before), so that knocked off a star. Sausage was a pleasant pork/beef mix, nicely spiced without being overly hot, and a nice bite to the casing. All were served without sauce (a very good sign) though a couple of good sauces were available at each table.

For sides, my boys had a mac-and-cheese which one liked, but the other thought was bland, and they had a corn cake which needed just a bit more sugar. I had the Gator Beans (baked beans with some kind of meat which I'm guessing, given the lack of alligators in Upstate SC was probably pork) and greens which had a nice kick.

Though VooDoo is a chain, and looks the part, they're serving up some of the best bbq I've eaten in a chain restaurant in a long time. Once you get past the overall cleanliness (they get an A from the health department -- a less-than-positive sign for a Q joint, but nice for those who choose to avoid trichinosis, salmonella, Yersinia enterocolitica, Enterococcus, Staphylococcus aureus, and listeria), and the gas-fired smokers which remove some of the authenticity, you'll find some pretty dang good Q.

• Visited March 2014

Piedmont, South Carolina
“Eh...”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

It'll do in a pinch. We had the Smoky bacon bbq chicken sandwich, rattlesnake beans, jerk chicken sandwich on a hoagie roll, & mac n' cheese. We had good service but I have to give the food a not-so-great rating. It tasted boxed and my chicken was dry. My bf thought it was ok (He's not so picky).

Greenville, South Carolina
“Been here three times”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I wish I could give this place more stars. The atmosphere and staff are great...the sides are pretty good, but the downfall is this...their barbecue is WAY and I mean WAAAAYYYY too salty. Since this is a barbecue joint and that is supposed to be their showcase item, I have to say, it's only average. There are many better places to get barbecue in Greenville (Tom's Barbecue is the best).

Visited October 2013
Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Great 2 for 1 meal”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Got a entertainment book from my son's school that had buy 1 menu item get one so I decided to give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. I had the combo plate with brisket and puled pork. Great meal and the sauces are very tasty as well. Will go back even without the buy BOGO offer

Greenville, South Carolina
“BBQ with a cajun twist”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Our first time visit last night definitely won't be our last time there. We loved it! We'd heard their advertising on the radio many times and finally decided to go. We didn't know what to expect as Greenville has many BBQ restaurants, and we wondered if or how this place would be any different. But it is. The meat is prepared with dry rubs and didn't seem as greasy as a lot of other Q. Loved the sauce, esp. the cane vinegar, which to me seemed to get tangier every time I added it. Definitely has a kick. For those who like hot sauce there is a mango hot sauce which I didn't try. Maybe next time. Be sure to try the corn pudding, one of the signature sides. Yum! The sweet potato souffle tastes different than any I've ever had. I think it has honey in it or at least tastes like it does. Very good. My husband had the ribs and said they were excellent and different than any he has ever had. Can't wait to return to try other offerings. We were told that this is the only Voodoo BBQ in SC although the franchise is planning to add other areas. We vote for the Taylors/Greer area. At any rate, this restaurant gets our enthusiastic endorsement.