“Very Disappointed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Brown Street
Description: 21 east opened in June 2012 with the goal of being Greenville’s favorite new venue to drink, eat, and play. We strive to create unique and exciting drinks and dishes, in an atmosphere that keeps people coming back for more. Our chef, John Acker, is constantly working to ensure that our menu stays fresh and interesting. A primary initiative here at 21 east is also to promote “local” to the best of our abilities. This can be seen in the form of artists who perform here, all the way to the ingredients in our dishes. If you have not made it in to see what we are all about, you are without a doubt, missing out. So, come in and let our amazing staff take care of you. We look forward to meeting you! Cheers! Food. Spirits. Music.
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I made reservations here for New Years Eve. We called and said we were going to be a few minutes late because the hotel forgot to call us a cab and they told my husband that they were pretty full and they would see what they could do for us. We get there around 540, about 10 minutes after our reservation, to an almost empty house. There was one table downstairs. I had a feeling we should have just went somewhere else at that point. Our server was Melissa, and she was nice and friendly. She brought us our drinks shortly after we arrived. My husband ordered a beer, and I got a Long Island Iced Tea. My drink was absolutely the most poorly made drink I have ever had. There was so much pepsi in it that it was brown and carbonated. In case the bartender didn't know, it is a splash of pepsi, not half the glass. It was awful. I wasted $10 on it and didn't even drink it. The only part of my service that I was disappointed in was the fact that no one asked me if I liked the drink. Part of the art of waiting tables is being able to tell when your guests are unhappy with something and doing your best to remedy the situation. She did not do that. We ordered the calamari appetizer, that is described as flash-fried. It was burned and rubbery. I know we are inland, but if Olive Garden can get calamari right anytime, then it can't be that hard. She brought us another order that was slightly less burned, and being the nice person that I am, I didn't complain about that, too. Still, another waste of money. For our main course we ordered the ribeye, served with mashed potatoes and seared vegetables, and a burger. The ribeye was $25 and was a very small cut for the price. The mashed potatoes were excellent, as were the veggies, but the price? C'mon. Either you are going to serve bar food or casual dining cuisine. You can't serve bar food for these prices. My burger was $14, and while it was good a perfect medium, I was otherwise un-impressed. My burger was served with parmesan-truffled french fries. In other words, it means that they sprinkled a bit of cheap parmesan cheese on top of the fries, which were burned as well(but not even hot) and charge you $2 extra. Seasoned folks would call that highway robbery! Our bill came to $71. I have NO problem paying for food. Food can be magical. But this was far from it. This place is pretending to be something they are not. I wanted to try something new. This was the first real night out that my husband and I have had in 7 years with no children, and I was highly disappointed. I know one less place I will be visiting when I am back in Greenville. One more thing....we happened to see either the manager or the owner while we were there. Part of building business, as I know because I work in the service industry and have for a long time, is talking to your guests, and making sure that their experience is phenomenal. People are more likely to come back when they feel welcome. The manager/owner hid behind the bar almost the entire time we were there. I saw him seat one table, but other than that he spoke to no one except the employees. Way to build business.

1  Thank Nickki R

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Lilly Ng and her staff made it so easy to plan for my son's rehersal dinner from 500 miles away. The food was delicious, the staff friendly, and room size was perfect for a group of 50. Everyone loved the food. The chicken tenders and fries melted in your mouth; the marinated flank steak and Boursin whipped potatoes were outstanding. Can't say enough about the wait staff. Overall an excellent experience. Would definately recommend for any casual, private pary.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We've been to 21 East several times for the late night party scene and it's decent. Twice now though, we have been for dinner and I have been beyond impressed. The chicken and waffles are well put together with sweet potato waffles and a homemade hot sauce. The chicken is tender and crispy on the outside. Shrimp and fried grits as an appetizer is a must. I'm a northerner. I hate grits. These were like nothing I've ever tasted and the sauce on top was delectable. We also had lobster mac & cheese. Need I say more. Greenville has such a great food scene and with Tupelo Honey here now, I find it difficult to want to go anywhere else. I am so glad that we remember 21 East and I highly recommend them for a quality dinner in Greenville. A definite contender in the food scene here.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I can't say enough about 21 East! My fiance' took me here for and early dinner on a Saturday night. We weren't expecting much, just because we assumed it was a bar with okay food. We were SO WRONG! The menu sounded amazing! I selected buttermilk fried chicken, and my fiance' had the chicken and waffles. While the dishes sound simple, they were complex and absolutely delicious! It was some of the best friend chicken we've ever had. The chicken and waffles was amazing and a lot better than Gladys's Chicken and Waffles. I love the special hot sauce, butter, and syrup. I am definitely getting that on the next trip! The food was so good that we plan to go back and try almost everything on the menu. I can't wait!! Definitely try 21 East! You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

The only thing keeping me from giving 21 East 5 stars was the slow service. We had reservations at 630. There were a few people in the restaurant then. By 650, the restaurant was packed. There were people who actually walked in and left when they saw the restaurant was packed. Come to find out, Monday is $5 burger night. All burgers are only $5. They don't come with fries but you can add them for $2. We did not eat burgers but they looked really, really good. They're served on a pretzel bun which is always a good thing. For whatever reason, 21 East only had one waitress for the entire restaurant. Thus, the slow service.......but, the food was worth the wait.

I had the whole flounder and my wife had the scallops. There aren't a ton of great seafood dishes in Greenville. The whole flounder was a find that I plan to have again soon. It's not for everyone because its served on the bone, but if you work around the tiny pin bones, go for it. It's served with braised collards and rice. I'd substitute the rice for grits. The fish is also served with some sort of glaze on the fish that just sets it off. My wife's seared scallops were outstanding as well. Served with some sort of roasted tomato/cilantro oil. All of this was very reasonably priced. Again, I will be back. This should be a go to spot when you are downtown.