“AMAZING FOOD!!”

Rick Erwins Westend Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Rick Erwins Westend Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 905 Restaurants in Greenville
Price range: US$18 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Augusta
Greenville, SC
“AMAZING FOOD!!”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We visited Rick Erwin's West End Grille for the first time a few days ago. It's the kind of food that will ruin you on the bland frozen food of franchises.

While I wouldn't call this a casual dress restaurant, there doesn't seem to be a specific dress code. I wore a dress and my husband wore a polo shirt and khakis, but we saw men in there in jeans and t-shirt/khaki shorts.

Valet parking is available although downtown Greenville has plenty of parking garages available -- two on River Street not far from the restaurant.

Our waiter, Ty, was very helpful in directing us to specialties on the menu and educating us on the various cuts of meat that were available. Entrees are served a la carte, so side dishes are ordered separately. They are served family style and easily serve 2-3 people depending on whether, like me, you've already stuffed yourself on the incredibly fresh and fabulous calamari and a salad.

The wine list is quite expansive, ranging anywhere from $28 to well over $200 a bottle. Some wines are served by the glass or half-bottle. We ordered a $28 bottle of Malbec that tasted superb.

Dessert didn't disappoint either. The vanilla bean creme brulee was my husband's favorite, and the white chocolate-infused bread pudding was my to-die-for choice.

This restaurant is known as a steakhouse but they have plenty of other choices to choose from. Our waiter informed us that none of the food is frozen either before or after it arrives at the restaurant. It is received fresh and prepared fresh -- and you can really taste the difference.

You can ceratinly eat relatively inexpensively here with two theater tasting menus to choose from -- three-course menus of smaller portions. Also, some entrees come in a 4 oz or 8 oz portion, allowing you to spend less for the same great food. I thought most everything was very fairly priced, but if you do the works like we did -- appetizer, salad, entree, 2 sides, wine, and dessert -- you can expect to spend $80 or more per person. We didn't regret a single penny!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank randmel

Calgary, Canada
“Great spot for a nice meal”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Very nice spot in Greenville...excellent filet and sides were definitely for sharing. Service was excellent...highly recommended.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We planned to eat the Chilean Sea Bass. Unfortunately they were out. We ordered some Salmon and Grouper. I requested a baked potato--they serve many types of potatoes but they will not serve you a baked potato. If I am going to spend a $100+ for dinner and I want a baked potato they should be able to accommodate a simple request. The Salmon/Grouper was good--not great. We would have just left but we had a gift certificate to use at the restaurant. We will not be returning and would not recommend this restaurant. There are many other excellent options in downtown Greenville (Soby's, High Cotton, etc).

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Elijay2
Fort Myers, Florida
“Great food service a little off”
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We dined there on A Friday night at 7:30. We called because we were running a little late and they accommodated us with no problem and sat us immediately. We were greeted very promptly ordered water and had a nice bottle of wine. The waiter was nice but not overly helpful. We ordered apps, soup, and salad and utilized the theatre menu that was a great value. All the food was excellent but the service was slow and not very engaging with us. The timing was off on the experience as well. We were in no hurry but it was almost 30 min from when we ordered the app until its arrival. We will go back next time in Greenville but we will make sure to have a different waiter.

• Visited May 2011
Columbia, South Carolina
“NOT even in my top 25 dining experiences.”
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We went to Rick Erwins this weekend on a Saturday night. We had a reservation and were seated right away. Ordered the Seafood Bisque which was really good, although I suspect the seafood in it was frozen and not fresh.

Next, I had the filet with mashed potatoes. I ordered my steak medium, and it came out rare. I had to send my steak back and even the waitress said, "We need to cook that a little more, don't we?" When it came back, It was cooked much better, but everything was WAY too salty. The cut of meat was very good, but the seasoning/cooking of the steak ruined it. The potatoes were also way too salty. I really should have sent everything back and had them start over. My husband's steak was also much too salty. I like to actually be able to taste the meat!

On to dessert...the waitress recommended a strawberry mouse topped with fudge that they had as a special that night. After my first bite, I knew exactly what it was - cool whip mixed with strawberry pie filling covered with some tasteless chocolate shell. I have made the strawberry "mouse" part of this before for my kids, so I was shocked that this was what they served. I have never left a dessert on the table until at this restaurant. Husband got the creme brulee which was pretty good, but served cold.

I was very disappointed that we spent this much money on such a mediocre meal. If people think this is fine dining, they have never been to a truly wonderful restaurant!

• Visited February 2011