“An off night?”

Rick Erwins Westend Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Rick Erwins Westend Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 949 Restaurants in Greenville
Price range: US$18 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Augusta
Reviewed 14 August 2014

As a new part-time resident, I read the local Top Ten reviews and saw Rick Erwin's was consistently in top half of the list. So took my wife for a birthday dinner on a Sat night. RE is an old style, clubby dark-décor steakhouse with a diverse menu. Maybe they try to do too much. The wife had shrimp appetizer for entrée (great roumelade) with a goat cheese salad. Both were very good. I had a chopped salad, supposedly a new menu item by request, that was OK, nothing special but entirely lacking a dressing. Had to ask for that. I also wanted something lighter so ordered the parmesan crusted grouper. I was upsold into the larger portion ("everyone that gets the smaller portion is disappointed") and was not expecting a deep fried, rock hard crusty fish stick. Really not tasty at all, so maybe I read the menu wrong? Was expecting a nice piece of fish with some parmesan on top. Mashed potatoes were OK, wilted spinach a waste of plate space. Side dish of asparagus for the wife ($12) was tasteless and stringy, should've returned these for something else. Waiter was decent but overly chatty and too opinionated, trying to steer us into higher priced steaks. Upon reflection, maybe that's what I should've ordered. Key lime pie (free) was great. Place was full, so Rick has a following. I do like that he introduces himself to all diners. Will likely try other spots in town before a return.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I ordered a dry aged Kansas City Strip Steak medium rare to go for a Wine Tasting. It was most delightful. The wait at the lovely bar was almost as good as the steak. Eat yours in house.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Another great meal at Rick Erwins. I had their crab cake, my wife had sea bass, son had lamb chop salad and daughter had a delmonico steak. Everything was delicious. Only negative was that when we arrived, the valet attend was coming out the front door and did not offer to hold it open for us - not a big deal, but.
Will definitely back for special occasions.

1  Thank MilesL44
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Several years ago I wrote a review on Ricks and gave it a 5 star, not this time. Let's do the negative part of this review first.
There were four of us, all having on black pants. White napkins on table. I had to ask for black napkins. I realize this may seem petty to some but for a high end restaurant it should be routine.
The menu has changed and prices increased. A 7 oz filet now is $42 and alacarte. You used to get at least a vegetable with your entree. The Caesar salad was average.
For a restaurant of this caliber I don't expect to see a hostess in short shorts. Very inappropriate
Positives. Made reservation on Open Table. We requested 6 PM with window seating. We were promptly seated at a window table. Server was attentive, not hovering although we did have to remind her of desserts. The side of mashed potatoes was good and large enough to share. The theater menu is varied, cost less, portions of course smaller, but includes salad or soup, entree, vegetable and dessert.

My spouse and I used to go to Rick Erwin's for special occasions, birthdays, Peace Center and anniversaries , and always felt like the night was special. Last night, not so much. There are MANY other nice restaurants in the Greenville area to experience now. For many years, Ricks was about it.

1  Thank Sandra S B
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The salad was very good. Had the surf and turf with crabcake. The steak was good but being from Maryland the crabcake was average. The chocolate torte desert was outstanding. The atmosphere was good and prices reasonable for a fine dining restaurant. Good for special occasions.