“Not quite as good as the original”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 948 Restaurants in Greenville
Price range: US$20 - US$100
Cuisines: Armenian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Halls Chophouse is a family steakhouse restaurant originated in the Upper King District of Charleston, South Carolina. We value hospitality, superior American cuisine and a dining experience that guests revere. Special Features: Gluten-Free Friendly, Vegan and Vegetarian Friendly, Happy Hour, Kid Friendly, Romantic, Late Night, Live Music. Bar opens at 4:00pm, Dinner Service at 5:00pm. Dinner is served until 11:00 pm during the week, 12:00am on Friday and Saturday. Our menu features She Crab Soup, Oysters on the Half Shell, and Fried Calamari just to name a few dishes. Our extensive wine menu features over 100 of the most exclusive wines one may find.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I've dined at High Cotton in Charleston and it was fabulous - like a photocopy of an original, the Greenville version didn't quite live up to the original. My son and I went for seafood, but the limited selection didn't appeal to either of us - so we had steaks instead.

We started with the fried green tomatoes which were OK, but not great. My filet was cooked perfectly and the blue cheese gratin added a terrific flavor. I was very happy with my selection of the filet over perfectly cooked asparagus. My son had the New York Strip and his steak wasn't quite as good. He said it had great flavor, but had too much gristle.

The service was very good, with a slight miss when I had to remind my waitress to bring the glass of wine that I had asked be brought out with my dinner.

1  Thank Bajaboater

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Loved the food and atmosphere. Had the Shrimp & Grits which was delicious. Had just enough spice to give it a bit of a kick without going for your water glass. My husband had the hamburger and said it tasted like ground steak. His fries were crunchy too for being hand cut. The cornbread just melted in your mouth! Outstanding meal. Wanted to try the desserts, but had no room.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was a nice little bistro type atmosphere with good and service. We sat at the bar and easily engaged with the other guests that were all locals.

Will definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I were in Greenville last weekend for a niece's wedding, and during the reception we met one of the other wedding guests who lived in Greenville. When we asked him if he would recommend any place where we might enjoy a "fine dining" experience for dinner, he immediately told us that we should try High Cotton. Good recommendation! Downtown Greenville is gorgeous, and so is this super classy restaurant located smack in its heart. Glass walls from floor to ceiling look out onto a gorgeous park-like river-walk, and I have to agree with another reviewer who stated that there isn't a bad seat in this restaurant. In addition to the beautiful setting, both the food and service were wonderful. My wife had their Carolina Mountain Trout, which she loved, and I had the Venison Strip Sirloin after the server recommended it and described it as tender, juicy, and delicious. That's not the venison I knew from past experience, but boy was I glad I took his advice. This was a gourmet meal! The blended flavors of the super-tender strips of perfectly prepared meat, served with sweet potato puree and blackberry Madeira jus! What a superb dish, truly one of my all-time favorites. If ever back again in Greenville, I'm pretty sure another dinner at High Cotton will be high on our list. Loved it!

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We've been to High Cotton many times over the years. Always great food and a great atmosphere. Apart from one not so great experience a few years back when we waited for almost an hour for our reserved table (but High Cotton sent us a letter of apology and a $50 gift certificate......kudos) we've had great service. Pity they stopped their lunch service especially on Saturdays. Best place to eat downtown!!

Been to Halls Chophouse? Share your experiences!