“Good Food, Good Wine” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sassafras Southern Bistro

Sassafras Southern Bistro
Ranked #38 of 900 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Durham, North Carolina
“Good Food, Good Wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

The fish special of the day was sanpper over a bed of spinach and grits. It was prepared very nicely with a carmelized crust but was fork tender. I needed to cut one piece to make it edible. The wine tasted good and bottles are half-price on Wednesdays.

Visited July 2014

Clendenin, West Virginia
“Great for couples”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

The food was excellent, the service was impeccable. Atmosphere was very good, and the building is very historically preserved: it was a tobacco warehouse before downtown declined. Went for our anniversary, and would love to go back.

• Visited August 2013
Ohio
“Outstanding Low Country Cuisine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We arrived early for our reservation on an evening to celebrate a birthday. There was no problem in seating us early and we were shown to a very cozy table in the room farthest from the bar and entrance. The interior of the restaurant is warm and fun with walls of nicely exposed brick and archways and other industrial design elements from years past. We loved the ambiance.

The menu was excellent! I started off with one of my favorites - she crab soup. It was very well done, one of the best I've had. The consistency was properly creamy and lumpy with bits of crab. There was some "kick" from the spicing but not too much so. I had the "cup" which turned out to actually be a bowl. The bowl must be a gallon! Thankfully our server steered us the right way on sizing.

We shared an appetizer of hot and spicy pork tenderloin. Again, the portion was huge and plenty for the two of us. In fact - a cup of soup and this appetizer would have made an adequate meal! Ohh, and the tenderloin was also delicious.

For my entree I went old-school low-country and had a plate of fried chicken livers served with mashed potatoes and collard greens. Again, our server advised us that portions are gigantic and she was right! My chicken livers were piled high and everything was very, very good. I could only eat half and my wife was the same with her wasabi crusted tuna. We took the left-overs home and had the same meal the next night. I was delicious all over again!

The restaurant did something I really like! It was my birthday and they offered a wonderful complementary dessert in celebration. It's an inexpensive but very much appreciated touch for a restaurant to do this.

Our service was very good, the food was excellent, the atmosphere cozy and warm, and the wine menu was at least adequate for our needs. In all - a very good experience and we'll put Sassafras on the top of our Greenville favorite restaurants list!

1 Thank Karl F
Greenville, South Carolina
“In the top”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

One of, if not the best places in downtown Greenville. The large private room is perfect for large parties. Easy parking in garage and short walking distance smack in the center of Greenville.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Loud and dark”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Had dinner here last wed. With 6 friends. Could only talk to one person at a time on either side because it was sooo loud. I like ambience, but we had to use our phones to see the menu it was so dark. Got blue crab and Monterrey jack nachos and fried green tomatoes. They were both delicious. Had pecan crusted trout. Friends had scallops and tuna. My entree was fair. They were pleased with theirs. If you want a quiet dinner I suggest u eat outside. Much more pleasant and u can enjoy your evening. The amount of noise just ruined the evening

• 3 of 5 bubbles