“Excellent food, poor service it was one step up from fast food”

Sweet Basil Thai Cuisine
Ranked #53 of 983 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2017

My wife and I were looking forward to eating at Sweet Basil since we had heard so my good things about it, but wow were we disappointed. Let me explain, the food was excellent and we were enjoying ourselves after ordering drinks and appertizers. Before the appertizers came our server asked us if we were ready to order our mains, so we did. In most good restaurants the servers will tell the kitchen when people have finished their appetizers and then the mains are prepared or if you let them know you're in no hurry which was also our case. we enjoy taking our time enjoying good food. well, the appetizers came, we had ordered the Spring Rolls and Stay Chicken, both very good and wonderful sauces came with them. We may have been halfway through them when our main dishes were brought to the table. Now we had little room to put anything and way too much food in front of us. The young man who brought them to the table said: " If you want me to take them back we can keep them warm for you". Keep them warm and let them dry out is also what he meant. Well, we started to eat faster and enjoyed nothing. He did bring more bean sprouts to the table and we said we didn't order them but took them. A few minutes passed, he came back and said oh they are for another table and took them from us to them. I hope they didn't care we had a few. I know good employees are alway hard to come by, but there is no substitute for training on how to serve so people can have a great dining experience. Good food alone does not make for a great restaurant. Our mains were the Soft Shell Crab in Green Cury and the Pad Thai with Chicken, Pork, and Beef, both very good. They do have a nice happy hour for drinks up until 7:30 PM which is also very nice. We may try the restaurant again because the food was good, but I can assure you we will order things one at a time so we can enjoy our meals.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

In search of a location for the eclipse watch and concluded Sweet Basil Thai Cuisine would be the better option. The shrimp & avocado dish is a very good choice. The staff are friendly. The restaurant closed at 1:30 to watch the eclipse and the staff proceeded to carry a mass of chairs outdoors. A good visit indeed.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Very extensive menu, and although we've been here several times, we seem to opt for their curry dishes most of the time. The soft shell crab green curry is one of our favorites, but it's hard to choose. The soups and appetizers that are at the top of our list are tom yum gai, spring rolls, satay chicken, and fried calamari. The wait staff is knowledgeable about the menu items and will help a Thai novice make good choices. Beware, dishes prepared "Thai hot" will swiftly transport you to Bangkok

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed a delicious lunch at this restaurant. The spring roll was delicious and portions were very generous. A great option!

Reviewed 4 July 2017

Excellent Thai in an unexpected shopping center location. My favorite is the Pad See-U. I have tried several other dishes, all are good. I usually go at lunch, and can be very busy.