“The finest hotdogs in the south”
Review of Skins Incorporated

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Skins Incorporated
Ranked #502 of 940 Restaurants in Greenville
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Know what you are coming here for. The locals do.

Long before I became a vegetarian, I grew up in Anderson, SC -- the home of Skin's.

I remember fondly trips down hwy 29 to get a brown paper bag of hot dogs with coke in bottles. Huddled around the counter were people from varied ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds -- lawyers in suits were enjoying hotdogs next to the folks from the neighborhood.

So when Skins came to Greenville, I was excited, even though they didn't have coke in the bottle any more.

It was a convenient 12 minute drive from my workplace, my meal took 5 minutes, and I'd get back having only taken a short lunch.

Other reviewers have focused on lack of variety, expensive drinks, the simplicity of the hot dog offering.

You should expect this: Skins serves hotdogs. The hotdogs "all the way" have chili on them. Plain means no chili. I guess you can order cheese, but I don't understand why. It probably is served in a little cup for you to put on top. Condiments like mustard, hot sauce, and catsup are at the table.

This is a no tipping zone. It means if you come regularly, they know your order and have it ready by the time you sit down. They put it in front of you, and your responsibilities include: eating it, paying the bill at the register. Thankfully, they take credit card now.

The reason why I was addicted to it was this:
the simplicity of their offering.

They make the finest hotdogs in the south. People come there just to buy a bags of 10+ hotdogs for them, their family, or their friends. They are the Krispy Kreme of hotdogs. You don't go to Krispy Kreme to get cheesecake, a steak dinner, and oh- by the way- some donuts. Krispy Kreme is donuts.

Skins is hotdogs. When you place your order, blam! there they are in the kitchen assembling it. You can watch them. The hot dog buns are out of this world good -- steamed, and they have a corner on the market of a particular kind of chili which, granted, is not for everyone, but which I love. The hot dogs themselves are great.

I don't like $1.25 soft drinks to go with my hot dogs, so I used to get tap water and no chips -- again, I didn't care what else Skins served -- that was incidental.

I'd get two all the way with a cup of tap water and douse them both in hot sauce. If I was feeling like celebrating, I'd get a cup of slaw to go with it.

So: know what you're going for -- hotdogs and just hotdogs, way better and quicker than you can make at home.

For example: the best birthday party I can imagine had Skins hotdogs catered -- a fridge full of them. Cold? Heck yes. Do you know how long it would have taken the birthday host to make all of those hotdogs? But Skins has focus, drive, and passion and knows their subject matter.

Delicious with beer [not served at the restaurant or catered]. Just sayin'.

If you like hot dogs and you're not looking for any frills, just the best hot dogs, go to Skins.

Excellent atmosphere because I love simple, to the point, direct service where I know my meal costs are not going to buy fancy lamps and tables.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

If you are too lazy to buy the cheapest hot dogs and buns at the grocery store you can always go pay $1.79 for each hotdog these guys serve. And that's ALL that's on the menu besides chips and overpriced drinks. $1.25 for a can soda to go with my meal? They even act like they're waiting on your table by coming out and taking your order. They ought to just ask how many and what drink. I was thoroughly bemused by this establishment and even disgusted that they were showing 3 signs that said they were voted best in the Upstate by some magazine. Come on. Please. Really, please. That's ok, though. I'll never make the mistake of paying $15 for five hotdogs, 2 small chips bags and 2 canned sodas EVER again. I'd rather eat at a McDonald's and get treated like crap. At least I can get full for 15 bucks there.

1  Thank Glowmaster
Reviewed 27 July 2012

If ALL you are going to serve is hot dogs, I would expet them to be outstanding hotdogs. These were less than mediocre. I asked for cheese, onions and ketup. When it came out, it had chilli... umm, I did not ASK for chilli. I did ask for cheese but had to remind him to bring cheese. And I got a canned pepsi for 1.25- 1 little can of soda for 1.25??? When I was paying the cashier asked me how it was and I said UGH. She didn't say anything else- my guess is because after being around subpar hot dogs all day, that's probably the only answer she gets from most people. The bun was soggy thanks to the watered-down chilli. Will NEVER go back! Total was 15 bucks for really lousy hot dogs and 2 canned sodas. What a rip-off!

3  Thank CISSUMV
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 12 June 2008

Best hotdogs on the planet.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Not my personal favorite place for hot dogs. Then again, I'm not a fan of boiled franks and steamed buns.

1  Thank TashaG2