“First time here”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ocala, Florida
“First time here”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Nice location and close to my appointments. Upon checking in I was told that the elevator was to the right. She forgot to mention that the elevator was down for maintenance and I would have to take the stairs (three bags)...what a way to start.

Room was OK, clean and spacious.

Went down for dinner in the open area which was really nice. Ordered a glass of wine and dinner.
Took a while to get the dinner and there were only four of us in the area. Good soup but as I looked over my piece of cheese bread, there it was MOLD on the back side. Yuck. Called the young man over and he said he would check the bread out in the kitchen. LAST I SAW OF HIM.

Gave up and went to my room...stay again for the room and location...yes. Food?...No way.

Room Tip: Stay away from the food...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
RICSH, General Manager at Courtyard Greenville Haywood Mall, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are currently undergoing a elevator modernization, improving efficiency and safety of the elevator banks. I am very sorry for the disappointing Bistro Experience you've encountered. I would like to speak with you in regards to this matter. Please contact me at 864-234-0300 at your earliest convenience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I honestly have mixed reviews of this hotel. My Marriott experiences have usually been strong, but this one was not. Here are the positives and negatives.

Positives: Good location to I-365 and easy access to get to the city or airport. Plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. The rooms were solid with no complaints (typical Courtyard Marriott expectations). They do offer a free WiFi in rooms that is moderate speed or you can pay for faster speed. The free speed was fine for everything I needed. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Negatives: The hotel entrances were not easy to find and the hotel sits off the main road and it sort of tucked away. The elevator was out of order on one whole side of the hotel so I had to use the stairs to the 3rd floor each time. I got an email from the hotel the day of arrival explaining this repair was happening. They did offer me free breakfast for the week and a bottle of water for the inconvenience (the staff helped to save this experience). The grounds were nice, but the indoor hot tub was drained of water and not working the whole week. Not sure what was wrong as there were no signs explaining. The fitness center had several decent cardio machines, but only a set of dumbbells for working out (no machines). The water dispenser was out of water and they only had a couple of towels available and this was first thing in the morning. The food was VERY disappointing. They called it a hot breakfast, but the bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich I got seemed to be pre-made and I think they just stuck it in a microwave. I honestly would have preferred a "continental breakfast" with bagels and cream cheese to this. [So the free breakfast wasn't a big incentive and I never went back for it after the first day.] They did serve Starbucks coffee which saved breakfast. The first day I arrived they had all kinds of storage boxes and carpet dryers left out in the hallway for most of the day with no one using it. Not sure what was up with that.

Overall, I had some real disappointments, but the room being solid and the good staff saved the experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
RICSH, General Manager at Courtyard Greenville Haywood Mall, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I am very sorry for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Our elevators are currently undergoing a modernization, making them more efficient and ensure for a smooth transportation. If you would like to speak to me directly please contact the hotel.
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Stayed at this property in late May for a quick business trip. It was a bit further from downtown Greenville than I would have liked, but the room was very clean and new and the bed was comfortable. The front desk staff was very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful in selecting a place to go for dinner. (Their suggestion was fantastic, Soby's)

Not a bad place to stay but if you're looking to be closer to downtown, you may want to look at the other Courtyard location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance to you. We are looking to house you during any future travel accommodation needs outside of the downtown area.
Grand Forks
Reviewed 15 May 2013

First, this is my second stay at a Courtyard (on opposite ends of the country), and both were laid out very nicely with super comfy, sharp rooms. This would be enough to attract me here. But, the real clincher is the GREAT staff...

On Sunday, my wife was celebrating a birthday, so I called ahead and asked if they could help me out with a surprise: I had a jar of rose petals I wanted them to spread on the bed for her. The man I spoke with was VERY quick to assure me this wouldn't be a problem. When I stopped by the hotel later to check in (while my wife was in the car), the two ladies at the front desk immediately jumped when I gave my name. They both were clearly anticipating me, and they assured me this would be taken care of. They took my rose petals, box of chocolates and card, and they quickly removed them to another room just in case my wife showed up. In addition, they called someone else over to give instructions to, because I was being checked into a room that wasn't cleaned yet (I assured them I wouldn't be back for a few hours) and there wasn't a guarantee my room would be cleaned before they left. I felt very confident I was in good hands.

Later, when my wife and I were going up to our room for the first time, we passed through the lobby, and I was stopped by the same ladies at the front desk. They had had an issue with the room I was previously assigned, so they switched me to a different room--a suite!

When we arrived in the room, there was a BEAUTIFUL heart on the bed formed out of rose petals, and in the middle of the heart was the box of chocolates and the card tilted on it with a couple of petals on it as well. I was blown away--and so was my wife!

It's one thing for a hotel staff to be accommodating, but they clearly went above and beyond. The fact that my request was clearly passed on to multiple people to ensure it wasn't missed was really impressive to me, and I felt like we were treated like VIP customers.

If I am back in Greenville, THIS is my hotel for sure. Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping make my wife's birthday so special!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan N
RICSH, General Manager at Courtyard Greenville Haywood Mall, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback on your stay. We are glad to have helped you make your wife's birthday special and are looking forward to accomodating you during your future travels to the area.
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights while in town for work. I originally planned to say at another hotel until they increased their rates by over $20 a night in a week. I thought the hotel was easy to find, it is off a main road and sits off the side road. I like that because it was quiet. It is convenient to many areas and food and shopping are minutes away. My room was quiet and clean. You can tell it is an old property that has been renovated.

I checked in and was placed in a room on the first floor (which has balcony) as a single traveler that week-I asked to be moved and was moved to the 3rd floor, which I felt was safer. The outlet under the desk did not work so the microwave and lamp did not work-which I didn't realize until the next day when my computer wasn't charged because it was plugged into the outlet. I called the front desk, told them what the issue was-and it was fixed by the time I came back that afternoon.

I found the staff to be pleasant and responded to my needs well. I did not eat any meals there or visit the gym.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
RICSH, General Manager at Courtyard Greenville Haywood Mall, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback and your recent stay with us. I apologize for the non-working outlet and any inconvenience this might have caused. We hope to accomodate you during your future travels to the area.
NY
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed here in early May with friends of mine in two separate rooms. This is one of those renovated Courtyards, and everything is in top shape. Good location near the Mall, free internet stations, complimentary newspapers, and food available in the Bistro. No complaints at all about the property. There was a slight billing issue, and the General Manager quickly resolved the matter in a professional manner. I would gladly stay here again the next time I am in Greenville.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
RICSH, General Manager at Courtyard Greenville Haywood Mall, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay. We are looking forward to accomodate you during your future travels to the area.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Have stayed at a lot of Courtyard hotels as a Marriott Rewards member. Price is ok for the area, but guest rooms, front desk staff and overall vibe here is just not what I expect. Hotel was overbooked and did not get the room type I had reserved, yet there was no effort to make up for the inconvenience. Better options in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
RICSH, General Manager at Courtyard Greenville Haywood Mall, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for your review and your feedback. I am very sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced during your recent stay. I would like to discuss your recent experience with you further. If you are interested, please contact me at 864-234-0300.