“Not Great”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not Great”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The pictures online look great,however the hotel itself is not so great in person. The lobby area is very nice but the rooms themselves are a bit worn and not very clean at all. The a/c units are extremely loud and will keep you up if you aren't used to substantial noise. Also, who does not offer free wifi in 2014! I've stayed in cheap motels that offer free wifi. Would not recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rita M
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Regency Greenville recently. I appreciate your honest feedback, as we take all comments - good and bad - to learn from and better our accommodations. I would like to apologize for the issue you encountered with the air conditioning unit and I will address these issues with our Engineering staff. Thank you again for taking the time to share your observations and we do hope to welcoming you back soon.

Hyatt Regency Greenville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed over the 4th of July weekend and ejoyed it all! From the check in to check out, all was perfect! Had a suite overlooking the beautiful lobby (recently renovated) and could not have been more comfortable. The housekeeping team was superb - they actually new my name and were proactive to my needs (late clean up times, ect.) and kept the room impecable.
Had dinner in Roost (hotel's specialty restaurant) and the food & service were awesome. Spent time in downtown and watched the firework show from the patio area - could not have been better. (excellent Ice Cream shop just accross patio - AWESOME treats!)
In total - a great property with clean, comfortable rooms with excellent service.
Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking lobby - great views!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Larry B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you very much for sharing your very kind comments about your experience during your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. We were delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your kind compliments about our Housekeepers and our Roost Restaurant. We will share your thoughtful and kind words with our team members to thank them for what they do for our guests daily. Thank you again, please return soon.

Tennessee
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Greenville, SC - is a Gem among southern cities --- and the Hyatt Regency is right in the middle of this wonderful stretch of main street that comprises one of the most beautiful and vibrant downtowns in America. The Hyatt Regency Greenville, SC is a first class hotel - with stunning multi-terraced interior landscaping and waterfalls in an open air lobby with palm trees enclosed in a glass atrium all around. The eight story glass wall brings the tree lined streets and beauty of this center city setting from outdoors to indoors. The hotel sits right on NOMA square --- where on Wednesdays to Fridays there is musical entertainment from local artists -- and an outside bar and cafe, Part of Roost, a lovely venue to cocktails, coffee and sitting outside to enjoy the setting.

Greenville, SC has also become a bit of a foodie town -- and a walk up and down tree lined Main Street takes you past every possible food and beverage locale - retails shops, antiques and other fanciful stops - including one of the South's great retail establishments, Mast General Store - don't miss this one. The hotel caters to business and tourist guests -- as the location is perfect for families taking in a lovely southern city, visiting Furman University, or many other excisions on the edge of the mountains with views making it a great all round location. Breakfast buffet was extraordinary -- the extent of which you rarely find in most upscale hotels. Very High Tech -- the hotel offers excellent internet and all other business services on site. They run shuttles to the airport and offer a fifteen mile radius service as well. The hotel is pet friendly -- as is the entire downtown of Greenville, with pet stations, watering stations and abundance of well managed furry friends.

This is a wonderful hotel to be sure -- and a fine Hyatt Regency at its best. The service from staff at every interaction was courteous and most helpful -- southern charm from hosts who take having guests as a privilege. Would recommend to any and all -- the fact it is so perfectly situated in one of the most charming sections of lovely city -- is all the better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Larry B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your outstanding review of our hotel. Your description of our hotel and our city captured both exactly as they are intended to be.

Please return to Greenville soon; we are definitely worth a second weekend trip!

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed one night and found the proximity to restaurants and shops very convenient. The hotel is very modern with a nice public space for reading, exchanging conversation, watching television, or having a drink at the bar. The open atrium makes it feel very open and airy, almost as if you're outside. The rooms were nicely arranged, with the bed strategically arranged to block light coming from underneath the door.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Larry B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your posting your review of your visit on this website. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and would like you to return again soon!

Winnetka, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt for a conference approximately one month ago. When I booked, I requested an accessible room for my husband who has some disabilities. The room we were given does not conform to the ADA code. There was a weird sink (high) in the bathroom with no place to put your toiletries. Beside having the most depressing view of a parking garage roof, the bed was in a tiny room. Tightly fitted up against both sides of the bed were sharp cornered granite tables jutting out 30" from the wall. Even a person without disabilities could not get in and out of bed without injuring themselves. The staff was very nice and we do not complain without good reason, however they just did not understand. They moved us into another room that was still sub-par, worn and dirty, but we had no options.

We also ate at the Roost a couple of times due to our schedule. Do not waste your money The positives are the terrific location, with surrounding shops and restaurants. They do need some older and more experienced employees working the front desk, though, who could provide answers to basic questions. Too bad...this could be a premier property if updated aesthically, functionally and with more experienced personnel.

1 Thank luxchicago2016
Thank you for posting your review on this website. We apologize for your very disappointing experience. If you will reach out to me directly, I will make every effort to assist you and make it right for you.

Mint Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2014

So disappointed in this hotel. Here is the bad:

1) My sister has terminal cancer and myself and both of my sisters were meeting there to help her enjoy her last months. We specifically told them beforehand (and when we checked in) that she required a walker - what did they do? They booked us in a hotel room on the 6th floor and the room was literally the LAST room on the floor and furthest away from the elevator 2) They refused to let us unload our luggage at the front and self park our car. They said we could only do that if we had valet - yet all evening we saw car after car doing this. We had to pull our luggage in addition to my sisters through the parking deck and up a hill to get it inside. AND, we had to pay $6 to park. However, the parking charge was not a huge deal and I'm used to that with Hyatt caliber hotels. 3) I needed to use my computer for 30 minutes once I arrived - only to see that it cost $9.95 per day for Wi-Fi (this is beyond ridiculous). Even the cheapest hotels in a beach town give you free internet! 4) Probably the most unfriendly and least helpful person I've encountered at a hotel checked us in. She sounded lazy, didn't respond to our concerns about the room and was utterly useless. 5) Sub-par room that was not cleaned well; ie: dust on the window sills, dust gathered under the bed and against walls, dirty shower curtain, etc. There were many more issues, but these are the top 5

So, here is the good: 1) The location was perfection - close to restaurants, bars, trolley stops 2) The bartender downstairs was great - friendly and helpful. 3) The property is very pretty and well groomed 4) There isn't one

I VERY rarely complain because I've been in the customer service business and understand the demands of consumers. But, this was ridiculous for a hotel that charges $229/night for a single room. Perhaps they should spend more time teaching their hotel staff about customer service instead of grooming the property - because there wasn't any. Unfortunately, location isn't everything and I will never stay there again. In fact, I may not stay at a Hyatt again after this experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kim H
Larry B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for writing your comments and posting your review on this website. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and for your disappointing experience. I would like for you to reach out to me so that I can discuss your experience and make amends.

Detroit, MI
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt for a business conference. Overall, the hotel was just ok. The positives were the staff were all very friendly, the lobby is beautiful, the hotel is located right in the downtown area, and parking was only $6 per day. However, there were some problems. First there was no in room safe, which meant that we had to lug a backpack with all of our valuables everywhere we went. Second, the rooms were dark and looked dated. Our room overlooked the lobby, which I totally hated. Because of this we kept the curtain shut the entire time as I did not want my colleagues were also there for the conference looking into my room. To be fair, I looked on the website and I think you have an option to book a different type of room that does not overlook the lobby. The room was also not very clean and there were long black hairs all over the floor and shower curtain. On our last morning, we never received our 5 am wake up call. Luckily I had set a back up alarm. Finally, we had to check out at 5:45 am and there was not a person in sight at the check in / out counter. I had to hunt down an employee to find someone to help us check out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Please accept our apology for the problems you have reported in your review. I would certainly like an opportunity to discuss them with you and make it right. If you will reach out to me, I will be happy to respond.