“Nice meal”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: -
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

My son took my grand daughter and I here and it was quite nice and the food was excellent. She is not normally a fish eater but she cleaned her plate and even had dessert, when she does that you know you've hit a home run! I just wish it wasn't so pricey!

1  Thank 11conn

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Husband & I chose to support hometown restaurant for a quick Friday night dinner. No one was at door to greet & seat. Waited approx. 5 min. for the owner to finally appear, quickly show us to a table, slap down some food soiled menus, & hurry away. After approx. 10 more min. of being totally ignored, we left. 2 waitresses & the owner passed our table at least 10 times & never even looked our way, greeted us in any way, or offered us so much as a glass of water. We left & went to Greenville where we received prompt attention & excellent service. If the service at Great Bay continues to be non-existant as it was for us last night, the restaurant can't possibly last too much longer. What a shame!!

4  Thank blender2013
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My date & I was seated, we placed our order & did not see the waitress again until we received the bill. Each time we needed a refill on our teas either myself or my date had to take the glass to the bar. This was our first time at this restuarant & our last. The waitress apologized for not getting to us. If she had not been visiting/hanging out with her friends she would have had time for us. I posted a response to the service there on their web site but it has been removed.

5  Thank Netster
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I have to say the sushi they make is some of the best in the area. It is fresh, well made and delicious. The problem, however, is their service and policies surrounding their "half price" rolls on Tuesdays. It's not really half price if you get a carry out order and then they add a mandatory 18% gratuity to the bill. I can understand it for dine-in patrons but for carry out it really amounts to a bait and switch. Not good business on the restaurant's part at all. It really amounts to 32% off sushi when you carry out. If you truly want half price sushi, dine in or carry out, you should go to Red Bowl in either Greenville or Spartanburg. They have it half price without the mandatory gratuity during happy hour all week in Greenville and all day Sunday through Wednesday in Spartanburg. The sushi at Red Bowl is just as fresh and delicious with better service and no forced gratuity. Hopefully the owners of Great Bay will get a clue that they should advertise it as 30% off sushi and then everyone wins.

3  Thank Hscalum
Reviewed 16 February 2013

What else can I say, I love this place. I've been their once a month last three months, and many times before that, and I totally gorge myself on oysters. Steamed, Raw, Rockefeller. Then I also do the Sushi. And always with family so it becomes a nice long event, popping and slurping oysters, eating sushi, and drinking beer.

Now you may think, is this guy crazy? Oysters in Greer, South Carolina? I know you Oyster Gourmand's think of good oysters from the more northern states like Chesapeake Bay, etc. where I cut my pallet on for many years in the town of Annapolis Md. Even the smaller steamers from Murrell's Inlet are prized fare in the winter months. But, Greer? Not even close to the ocean.

I discovered this place by accident and found out that they get their oyster primarily from the Florida on weekly basis. They are fresh and salty. Also they usually offer other varieties from northern venues, but this year, the Florida variety are especially large, juicy, and salty.

If you want something else, they have a full sushi menu, and dining menu. We've had their "Tuna Tower" which is something very unique in the sushi category. A tower of seasoned rice, filled in the center with fine grade tuna. It should win a culinary award in my opinion.

I like the atmosphere of the place also. I kind of reminds me of a "fish house" type place that you find so often along the coast. Relaxed, "anything goes" type place with a wide variety of food, people, drink, and comradeship .

I will always be back.

2  Thank nonnino

Been to Great Bay Oyster House? Share your experiences!