“Had to do it once for my kids”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hamer
South of the Border
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamer
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stopped with my family on the way to Disney World as I did in 1978 as a child. Nothing has changed, not even the sheets. I had a double deluxe room which is two rooms with the connecting door open. The room had a refrigerator and a microwave. Everything was in working order. Everything was a little dirty for my taste and the food at the Sombrero was awful.
All of the attractions are run down and it seems that since the founder passed his heirs are letting it crumble into the ground.
I wouldn't discourage anyone stopping for sentimental reasons but if you have never been there I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Mark M

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Over priced, but friendly staff. Labor Day week end, but no problem getting a room, as soon as we walked in the room I knew why! The room "looked outdated and nasty" The first thing I did was check the seams of the mattress to see if I saw any dead bugs under the bottom sheet.Don't even think of walking on the floor without shoes. I also left the bathroom light on to hopefully keep the bugs away. Didn't get much sleep, even though I turned down both blankets, I just couldn't sleep. We checked in @ 11:30pm and checked out @ 6:00 am

Room Tip: Don't stop here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Paula D
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Don't get scared about the title. We arrived late in the day so I was tired. You pulled right up to your room. We unloaded the truck and took in what we would need for one night. After we settled in bed there was a knock at the door. I answered and a security man was standing away from the door and asked if I wanted my truck door open. Of course, I didn't know what he was talking about but as I went over to the driver's side, the back door was wide open. I guess I was so tired and took the suitcase out but for whatever reason didn't shut the door. Thank goodness nothing had been taken because it must have been open for over an hour. I thanked him and was extremely embarrassed. I felt a lot safer knowing that security drives the area and makes sure everything is secure. Room was great. Diner was closed and it was over Memorial Day weekend which didn't make sense.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deborah K
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have driven from Mass to Florida probably close to a dozen times in my life and have always wanted to stay at South of the Border. I got my wish fulfilled this past August and I wish we had just kept on driving.

When we pulled into the motel the hotel staff were super friendly and checked us in quickly and at a pretty affordable price hence the two stars (granted, it was more expensive than the highrise 4 star hotel I recently stayed at in Atlantic City). When we drove from the main office to our room, however, our experience started to change. We took an extra service road to what must be an unused part of the motel system because it was like driving onto the scene of a dystopian horror movie. We quickly found our way out of this section of the park and pulled up to our room.

The sleeping quarters were disgusting, at least mine were. As soon as my wife and I entered the room we roach checked the entire room. The carpets were sticky, the tile was sticky and I can only imagine what kind of nasty was in the bed. We slept with the lights on to keep to keep potential roaches away but I still woke up with bed bug bites on my head and arms. When we woke up we took our shower with sandals on and ran away from the motel as fast as possible and continued on our journey.

South of the Border does have a cool nostalgic feel and might be worth checking out just for the tourist trap that it is. But dont sleep here. There are better options close by for the same price or cheaper.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nick S
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I remember driving down to Miami Beach as a kid and visiting this place along the way when I was a kid in the 80s. Aside from new stuff they've added, it's a great flashback to when I was as kid, making sure my daughter knew that her Mom had taken a picture under the same Pedro statue when I was her age. Everything is clean and well maintained, nothing looking old or dirty, just old fashioned (and funny at that!). Stayed one night on way down to Myrtle Beach in their standard room. 1970's wood paneling on walls, drive up covered car port right in front of your room door. mini fridge with flat screen tv and cable channels. Overall perfect for a one night stay. One negative are the uncomfortable beds. Super lumpy, though clean. But if it's only one night, the $59 are well worth it! The overall place is hilarious. Shops are FILLED with touristy stuff, and the food was great. Nothing is expensive or priced over the top. Gas, pharmacy, food mart, all in SOB area, very convenient for road trips. Didn't use the pools, but they looked clean and well maintained. Great place to take fun pictures. KIDS WILL LOVE THIS PLACE. Will definitely stop here again if only for the hilarity and fun of it all.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are only $59 a night! Great for a one-night stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank icrodriguez
Reviewed 8 August 2013

this hotel is older circa 70's wood paneling. it was very clean pools were nice, staff very friendly. It was priced very reasonable. Plenty of rooms 2 pools restaurant next door. This is great for a stop over or mini getaway

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived last night late and were given 2 adjoining rooms. Smelled musty. looked like a room a hooker would rent. Blankets hard as rocks. Pillows stolen from an airplane. Bugs. Yes you heard me, BUGS in the bathroom. Slugs and some black millipede type things. Had a 3 year old to put to sleep so didn't call "consierge" (I'll get to that in a minute).... tried to sleep . We were dead tired from all the driving but the air conditioning was super SUPER loud and kept going on and off. Went to check it out and the whole panel fell off.

Ok."consierge". During checkout we told them all of the above. The manager, a young girl named Harley, was VERY rude. All she would say was "if that was the case yall shoulda cawled ain we woulda moved yall".....She said it like 6 times which is why I am able to quote her so well.

To be honest we wanted a discount because we didn't shower due to the fact that we are anti co-insect showering. No dice. The guy behind us said he went through 3 rooms before finding a clean one. With a 3 year old that's really not easy to do, (especially since we arrived at 11pm) as most parents out there will understand... plus, even without kids, if I'm paying for a place to stay, and is not a campsite, it should be insect free. I didn't even mention the mosquitos.

• Stayed: August 2013
8  Thank jedimomtrick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamer
Quality Inn Dillon
#3 of 7 in Dillon
Heart of Dillon Motel
Heart of Dillon Motel
#2 of 7 in Dillon

Been to South of the Border? Share your experiences!