“Stop and visit, but skip the campground”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hamer
South of the Border
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamer
Panama City Beach, Florida
“Stop and visit, but skip the campground”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

After long day of driving I-95, we kept seeing signs for South of the Border. By the time we got there we were so tired of the highway that we decided to try out their campground - Camp Pedro. We managed to get the last pull-thru site and even though it wasn't really a site (it was the end of the road with hookups) we had no problems pulling into it. There is no Cable TV, but they do get a few digital channels. Surprisingly, the WiFi was good. The buildings are really old, but clean. You need a gate key to get into the park, so you don't have to worry about people driving around after hours. We managed to walk the "town" from the campground. There is a lot of highway noise and plenty of trains to keep you awake too! Our only major problem was departing. There was no way we could drive out of our site because of the turn at the end. It was not for big rig fifth-wheels (which have a different turn ratio than motorhomes) and we had to back out of our site and actually into another site (thankfully it was empty) to make the turn to get out. It made our departure a little stressful - Esp. when a pickup truck came behind us while we were trying to back-up and he kept creeping along behind. I told him he could cut across an empty site to get around us because we were having trouble getting our big rig out. He then told me that he was the manager and padded his name tag. I not really sure what that meant, because he offered no assistance! He just kept following us and getting in our way. We wouldn't stay there again because it really isn't for big rig fifth-wheels.

Room Tip: If you have a big rig fifth-wheel or are a big rig with a cargo trailer/tow, you may want to skip th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank HS C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Kitchy- yes. Small - yes. Old - yes. Dont expect the Hilton. Stay here if it's raining and on your way. Every room has covered parking. Its clean and comfortable. Just don't expect modern or fancy. There is free WiFi but not enough plugs for the family gizmos.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank readaholic23
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We always stop here...we did not stay over cause we came in too early...but we love to just stop and shop. Get there early everything in winter closes by 9pm...lots of stuff to see and do even when it's cold...staff is very friendly! Gotta love this place..the billboards are hysterical

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Kate20145
Mount Airy, Maryland
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I believe that even the towels are the same ones we used as my visit in the 70's with my parents.
the room was very clean the staff polite. Just stopped in to catch some sleep on our way down I95.
My daughter pulled all the sheets out when getting into bed and when I tell you it was a very, very stained mattress with no mattress pad. We slept on to of a blanket we had brought with us...

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Magpie608
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 January 2014

well stopped here for no other reason just say we were there . but one time too many room small and mean small dark like a cave and it smelled bad . kids had fun but its just a overpriced park thats been around too long wont be going ther in this lifetime again

Room Tip: there really arent any GOOD rooms just rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank grasonmark

Travellers are raving about these Hamer hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My family and I stopped here for the night. We were driving from Pittsburgh to myrtle. Never again will we set foot into this place. We were taking a walk around the hotel about 15 mins later we came back to where we were staying and two guys were breaking into our vehicles!!! The two guys got scared we called security took 30 mins for the local police to come investigate. Decided we had enough and left. We were there for not even 4 hours demanded to have our money back. No one wants to stay at a place they don't feel safe. The lady at the front said management won't be in tomorrow. Next day after arguing with the management on the phone we finally got our money back. DONT waste your time and money staying here. It's run down, the rooms are nasty and unclean. Clearly townies target this area to break in to cars because off the lack software security. Security people are dressed aren't trained professionals and just have the outfit on to be intimidating. We will never ever stop or stay here again when we to to myrtle!! Will drive the extra 20 mins to stay at the holiday inn express.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time or money! Your car will get broken into, the rooms are disgusting and the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Travelburggirl
Buffalo
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I always wanted to stop here and finally did on my way back to buffalo from Florida. They put me in a room that probably had a different zip code from the main office. It was dark & dirty & smelled so bad! I did not feel safe here. I checked for bed bugs and was surprised that the sheets were so worn they were almost transparent! For the first time in my life, I went back to the office & unregistered. There was no way in Heck I was sleeping in that dive! I drove about an hour further and found something much more suitable and for less money.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Teresa1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamer
Red Roof Inn - Dillon
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#6 of 23 in Lumberton
SpringHill Suites Lumberton

Been to South of the Border? Share your experiences!