“Food just ok but very pricy” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food just ok but very pricy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

$17 for 8 fried shrimp and 2 small sides. Crab bites were good, again pricy. Shrimp po-boy had the fried shrimp with the tails left on. Won't be back until they get their act together. Were out of ribs, steaks and hush puppies the night we were there.

• Visited July 2013

Punta Gorda,FL
“Apparently Things Have Changed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Ate here or attempted to eat here this evening. My brother and his wife have eaten here in the past and were raving about the place. We were seated promptly and waited on right away. The waitress was somewhat knowledgeable about items on the menu. Being staunch New Englanders, we asked about the Clam Chowder and were told it had no tomatoes in it. My brother and I ordered a cup of clam chowder each. When it arrived it looked like a cup of potato salad. It was basically solid. we laughed and went on to taste it. OMG it was "poisoned" with salt! And left an acrid fishy taste. We looked at each other and immediately pushed it away. Gave it to he waitress and she took it off the bill. The others ordered their entrees and they were as follows: an oyster po'boy, a Southern wedge salad, and a Cheeseburger. I ordered 2 sides, Collard greens Butter beans. The Po'boy cost $12.99 and had 3 oysters in it! The Southern wedge salad had a huge piece of iceberg drizzled with barbeque sauce with a tablespoon of pulled pork, some hard boiled egg and a up of ranch dressing, $9.99. The cheeseburger was "OK", $9.00. My greens and beans were also extremely salty rendering them barely edible $2.50 each. We are travelling1700 miles ad this was our first night. I sure hope the rest are better. Oh I almost forgot, when the bill arrived, the chowders were removed but the bill totaled $61.90, before tax! I added it up and gave it back to the waitress who was truly embarrassed, it was less than $40.00.We pad and left and as I left I mentioned the salt issue to the hostess. She politely thanked me for the suggestion, but I am sure she had something to say in her head or under her breath. Apparently the place has changed hands many times. They need to change something again!!

• Visited July 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“Limited choices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

The menu is limited to begin with, but they were out of ribs- their main meat! Granted we were there at 8:30 and they close at 9, but hard to believe they ran out! Mac and cheese was dry and chicken breast was very small but tasty.

Visited June 2013
Beaufort, South Carolina
“New ownership has given new life to this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

There will be some here who will disagree with this assessment and that is fine. Some people in this community are upset that the previous offerings and decor of this restaurant have changed. IMHO, the old restaurant was average at best on a good day and typically below par on most. The reason why prices were cheap is because the ingredients were cheap!

The new ownership have given the restaurant a fresh appearance inside and a better menu with better ingredients on the inside. While early reports of the food had been negative (portions too small, prices too high), I went there yesterday and had a very good burger, fries, and slaw for $9. Colleagues of mine had the fried flounder sandwich which they both enjoyed and had good portions.

My point is that sometimes it takes restaurants a few weeks to hit their stride. While the old iteration may have been a local favorite, I predict that locals will drift back here and that the restaurant will stand to get more out-of-town traffic from the inns and motels in Hardeeville.

• Visited May 2013
Barboursville, Virginia
“Used to love this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stop here every time we head to FL. I always looked forward to the yummy, crab cakes. They were different from the usual, flat like a pancake and wonderful flavor. This time when we stopped we were informed that they had a new owner. The place looked really nice inside. But I guess the new owner changed everything including the recipes. I had the crab cakes, very disappointing, just plain mostly filler crab cakes that you can get most anywhere. The cold slaw was tasteless. The stuffed flounder was good but only 3 tiny rolled pieces for $17.
We won't be going back, it had a good run but things change.

• Visited April 2013