“Continuing good standard.”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I am a regular at The Bakers, and wish to say that Darren A's report is not accurate.The sign over the bar, and in the restaurant state-please order food and drink at the bar. The steak night choice is always a rump/gammon/or rib eye steak. Sometimes venison or pork. I always find that the chef cooks my rare steak exactly as I want it. If it's not right send it back! We think steak night is a good deal, or we wouldn't be in most Tuesdays!

1  Thank Paul W

Reviewed 28 June 2013

eat here whilst hoildaying in the cotswolds we had googled local pubs close to where we were staying and found this one and noticed on their website that they had a steak night on a tuesday.We arrived about 8pm and asked the 2 girls behind the bar for a table and were told to sit anywhere,it is a small pub with about 7 tables so we sat and waited no menus were brought to us so i went to the bar and asked for some it was an ok menu but nothing on it about steak night so again went and asked and was directed to a small chalk board.It had a choice of 3 steaks a 6oz rump a gammon steak or a 8oz rump not what id call steak night!also thought the prices were expensive but it did include a glass of wine.Our food arrived in about ten minutes i asked for some horseradish sauce but was told they didnt have any my steak was ok but my mother said hers were overdone neither of the girls came to ask if our food was ok in fact they seemed more interested in flirting with 3 young guys at the bar who i guess were locals.It did come across as a locals only pub so wont be going there again indeed if want a decent steak night see my review of the old boathouse which is nearby

2  Thank Darren A
Reviewed 19 June 2013

A friend and I arrived at this charming village pub in great need of refreshment after cycling 40 miles from Bristol - the first leg of a 170 mile ride across the country!

We were delighted to find this friendly village local where we were afforded a warm and welcoming reception.

We settled down to rest our weary legs at a table near the bar that was busy with jovial locals enjoying the comfortable and cosy surroundings.

As I sat basking in the inviting glow of the Bakers Arms, enjoying a crisp refreshing pint (and later a perfectly chilled glass of white wine) I couldn't help but notice the mouth watering food on offer on the specials board.

The barmaid was kind enough to make a delightfully tasting and beautifully presented lemon and chocolate dessert, despite it being 10pm, well past food ordering time.

If this delicious dessert is anything to go by then the rest of the menu is a must try. Should I find myself in the area again I'll certainly be heading in for a full three courses!

We stayed a while drinking, chatting and recharging our batteries before being helped on our way by the genuinely friendly landlord and partner who couldn't do enough to help us.

I cannot recommend the Bakers Arms enough, be it for a drink and a chat or for dinner, this is an outstanding traditional village pub full of warmth and friendliness. A real gem.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

We were vacationing in nearby Lower Mill Estate and picked this pub because we had just arrived after a long flight from the US and we wanted to stay close to home. I had arranged for reservations through emails a few days before our trip and the email responses were prompt. It was our first day in England and first introduction to pubs, and we were not disappointed. The food was very good and the pace was just right. We felt relaxed and had a very good time with the wait staff. We had several starters- soup, olives, yummy garlic baguette and cheeses. Our mains included sausages, burgers, and pork. Our waitress was helpful in writing out directions to buy groceries in Cirencester, and all the staff was extremely cheerful and helpful. It was obvious that we were tourists but no one treated us like we did not belong. We had such a pleasant experience, we returned a few nights later for another meal.

1  Thank Shelly1710
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We're been going to The Bakers Arms for over three years, as a result I feel I can comment on it. Over the years it has been on the decline, I think it changed hands (?), but we still go about ten times a year when we visit the area and mostly enjoy our visits. We take friends and family and they mostly have a great time.

Things we like are:-

the bar/serving staff are on the whole great - the old crew used to recognise us and remember our drinks order but times change.

It's very convenient for us by bike, foot or car.

A roaring fire in the Bakers on a winter evening is hard to beat.

They are always very patient and full of smiles for our little girl which is a great way to start. When we used to bring her as a tiny baby the changing facilities in the ladies were very useful.

Personally I like it that the blokes have to go out the front door to get to the loo, but apparently on a rainy day it's not such fun.

Surprisingly few pubs in the area have a kids play area - this one is basic but our daughter loves it. She is safe from the road as well because of a gate. There is a second gated area too so grown ups can get away from the kids if they want to.

Things that we're not liking as much:-

The menu used to include a selection of specials sourced from local farmers. It broke the monotony of what is otherwise a fairly routine pub menu. F&C nights are worth it (but bear in mind big orders can take a while, I guess they don't have an industrial fryer back there, but why would they?).

There are some curious closing times like Sunday evenings which is just when we want to go. We often see customers leaving before they sit down because they can't get any food or even a quick drink on Sundays which seems like a real shame. As a result we call ahead - too many times have we turned up with friends or family in tow to find it closed or closing.

James E, Owner at Bakers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

On behalf of everyone at the Bakers I would like to say that we are disappointed you feel the place is ‘on the decline’. I am confused as to why you feel this way; as the title of your review, and as your opening statement it is clear you feel strongly about this and yet you have then neglected to provide any reason as to why you should feel this way. We receive all feedback as constructive, so thank you for your review. Please allow me to address a few points on the above.

'the old crew used to recognise… remember our drinks order'
With all respect, we stock a varied and changing selection of good local ales, as such even our locals who visit several nights a week are prone to change their drinks order.

'The menu used to include… specials sourced from local farmers'
We run a specials board 4-5 nights every week. Our meat is sourced from ‘Watermoor Meats’ the commercial branch of Jessie Smith’s butchers, based in Cirencester (4.5 miles). Our fish is sourced from ‘New Wave’, also based in Cirencester.

'bear in mind big orders can take a while'
Our food is cooked to order and if we expect a wait longer than half an hour we make sure to tell the customer this at the time of ordering.

'curious closing times like Sunday evenings'
We open for a Sunday evening service throughout the summer holidays and on every bank holiday weekend, unfortunately like many pubs in our area we find that during the winter months we simply don’t have the trade. We are however one of the only pubs in the area to stay open and serve food all day 6 days a week.