“Would not recommend.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bakers Arms

Bakers Arms
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Would not recommend.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

The food was very poor quality. I ordered the fish which was pre frozen. The worst meal that I have been served ever.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank starbaby01
James E, Owner at Bakers Arms, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your fish and chips. Please stop by to teach us your method of flouring, battering and deep frying frozen fish, I would be fascinated to learn as we do not use frozen battered fish, preferring to do this process on the premises with our own homemade beer batter. Considering this is the worst meal you have ever been served I would hate to see a one star review from you. Perhaps if you didn't keep your reviews private we could see this. Fish and chips is one of our more popular dishes, and we don't normally have any complaints, perhaps it would be more constructive to say something at the time when asked rather than hiding behind a keyboard when you get home. Another tripadvisor keyboard warrior.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Average Stuff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went into this village pub after a long walk and we were welcomed by two friendly and helpful members of staff, ordered our drinks and then the food which arrived after a reasonable wait, the starters first then the mains. Starters were excellent (Whitebait), but both main courses were disappointing which seemed extremely tasteless. Good atmosphere and friendly staff food let it down.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We booked a table for 22 at The Bakers Arms for a famiy gathering recently. Staff were helpful on booking and when making follow up calls regarding food choices etc.
I then read the reviews and wondered if I had done the right thing booking with them. We went anyway as the menu was tempting and the pictures of the restaurant looked lovely.
We were met with a warm greeting and a side room had been made up where we could eat away from the rest of the pub.
The two girls who worked there that night, were tireless in making people feel comfortable. I couldnt pre order three of the meals as the meal was a surprise, the staff were very personable and knew who to approach to ask for the new orders. We were loud and lively and had two little boys with us who loved running around and this wasnt a problem.
The food was delicious and came quickly. Two of our party returned the next day for lunch as they had thoroughly enjoyed their meal that night.
The pub is warm and cosy and inviting and great for large parties. We were staying at the Lower Mill Estate also, and I would recommend for anyone staying there to visit The Bakers Arms.
I cannot understand some of these reviews, I can only imagine that some people's expectations are unrealistic. The only slight negative is that the drinks can be pricey, however, we knew the prices before going in and so we cannot complain re this.
Thank you for making my parents 40th Anniversary a lovely event. I would def return to this pub, in the summer I imagine it would be even better.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James E, Manager at Bakers Arms, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review, it was a pleasure to cater for your party and I’m glad the night lived up to your expectations. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
London, United Kingdom
“Unhelpful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

When, in person, we asked if we could book a table for dinner the Saturday evening of bank holiday weekend for 8 people, we were sighed at and told no. We decided to go for drink in the evening in any case and were able to sit at a table for 8 people that was not reserved. Maybe they had another booking for later so we made no fuss and ordered drinks. One of our party is in a wheelchair so we are limited to where we can sit. We were soon to told to move, very rudely, as they could not access other tables - my question would be why put a table there if it blocks access to other tables? We were then moved to another table - for about 10 people, odd that this was free too. I am sure the food is very good, I can not comment on that, but the service and rudeness of the staff was unfortunate.

2 Thank harrington255
James E, Manager at Bakers Arms, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
I really think that it’s a shame you’ve felt the need to leave this review as it is both inaccurate and unreasonable. Let’s take this point for point so I may explain:

‘we asked if we could book a table for dinner the Saturday evening of bank holiday for 8 people, we were sighed at and told no’…...................................................................................................... I very much doubt any member of staff would have responded with that attitude, we are a business after all and if possible would serve an indefinite number of customers- unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you want to look at it) we’d been fully booked for at least a couple of weeks. Full for us includes an allocated area for drinkers.

‘we decided to go for a drink in the evening in any case’…........................................................ Yes, and when you arrived we were full. Your party of 8 sat in the middle of the bar area on a table set for 4.I had to ask you to let me pass so that I could take a table their dinner, at which point one of your party suggested I moved another table out of your way. This table were half way through their supper. I hope you can see with reflection how difficult you made this situation for me, my waitresses and my other customers.

‘we were told to move, rather rudely, as they could not access other tables’ …......................… You had blocked off all access to the rest of the pub, not to mention blocking in 3 other groups of people. Also you were not 'told' to move, but I offered you an alternative table. This table had literally just left and I rushed to make an area ready for you in the hope you might feel more comfortable, with more space.

‘…why put a table there if it blocks access?’................................................................................. to repeat myself, it is a table for 4, you squeezed 8 people around it, taking chairs from other reserved tables.

‘one of our party is in a wheelchair so we are limited to where we can sit’ …............................ you know that isn’t true because you’ve been here several times before and have sat in our beer gardens, our bar and our restaurant: all of which are wheelchair accessible.

I will not apologise for being fully booked over a bank holiday weekend, as locals I might have hoped for your support. I hope at least I've made myself clear on this incident.

Tina
Bar Manager
“ Food very average for the price ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Very pleasant pub. Staff friendly and helpful. Food was unfortunately very average for the price. Was on holiday at Cotswalds Water Park so will try again just in case it was a one off.