Port O'Call Shipyard Plantation
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Great 4.5/5
Marriott's Grande Ocean(Hilton Head)
  • Fitness centre
Good 3.5/5
Great 4.5/5
Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort(Hilton Head)
  • Pool
All reviewsport o calltennis courtshilton head islandscreened in porchthe cottagesbedroom unitheated poolcoral sandsshort walk to the beachvan der meer tennisnice unitactivity centercoligny plazagated communitymaster bathbike racksjazz corner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 September 2012

If ambiance is important to you, this is not the place for you. I timeshare exchanged to Port O' Call Resort in August. This was the first time in about 15 exchanges to different locations that I was disappointed with a "Gold Crown" resort. I stayed in Unit "19", a 3 bedroom 3 bath cottage, about 75 yards from the pool. The cottage has keypad access. I found the unit itself badly in need of an update. My husband called it "a dump". However, I wouldn't go that far. It almost felt as though they ran out of furnishings, as they are old,sparse or non-existent. The master bedroom contains a king size bed and a small dresser. There is a wall lamp on either side of the bed at about eye level with exposed wires going down the wall to the electrical outlets; no end tables. There are 3 bathrooms with counter tops so small that there is little room for toilet articles. Although there is storage in a small cabinet under the sink. There is a TV in each bedroom and 1 flat screen in the living room. The units, as well as the pool are wifi accessible. The unit has a screened porch. The rooms appear to have been arranged without much thought to design. I did appreciate the convenience of the full sized washer and dryer, as well as the dishwasher in the full sized kitchen.
We twice called the maintenance department for 2 non working items. They were prompt, professional and exceeded my expectations both times.

There is also private access to the beach road via a keypad access code.This was another bonus as the beach was a mere 5-10 minute walk via this route. Bicycle rental is available for a nominal fee. Although. there is no fitness center there is access to a center at one of their sister properties. There are also tennis courts on-site. The bicycle paths provide ample space for power walking.
Hilton Head Island is a lovely place and a great vacation spot. The activities are too numerous to mention. I do concede that I was probably in one of the older units. Therefore, my experience may not be the same as others. Nevertheless, although, I cannot recommend this property, I would not hesitate to return to the island in the future but, not to Port O' Call.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank debsgas
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The Port O' Call units are pretty nice inside. Nothing fancy, but comfortable and clean. However, depending on what unit you get, the outside area of the unit can be sparse or non-existent. We are currently staying in Unit 702. We were pretty disappointed upon arrival when we realized our balcony (if you can call it that) is right in front of the pool. One of the reasons we love Hilton Head is because of how peaceful and beautiful it is. The vibe you get sitting on your balcony, staring at the pool (and having people there stare at you) is anything but peaceful and beautiful. Some people might be excited by the prospect of being right by the pool, but not us. Also, our ‘balcony/deck’ was only big enough for one chair… not comfy at all. Unit 703 is identical, so it has the same deck problems. Those issues aside, the main problem is that the master bedroom window also faces the same view, which means if you want some sunlight and decide to open your curtains (there are no blinds) anybody sitting at the pool or walking by is staring right into your bedroom, and then straight on through into your master bathroom. Obviously you can just choose to keep your curtains closed, but again, I enjoy sunlight and cannot stand dark and dingy, so it was a major pain to always have to open/close the curtains. I usually find it rather annoying when I hear someone nit-picking at the tiniest things, but these inconveniences truly did interfere with my ability to relax and be comfortable while on my long anticipated visit to HHI. I just wanted to bring these issues up to anyone that will be staying in building 7 in the future. I cannot speak for the other buildings and I’m sure the units on the ends of this building are a lot more comfortable. They have big screened in porches and aren’t directly in eyesight of the pool loungers. I will add that the units above this unit and 703 on each floor, have no balconies whatsoever, except for the front hallway. I would guess that those units are 706, 707, 710, & 711, but I didn’t go upstairs to check. To wrap this up, I didn’t hate this place. I actually really liked it, until I was reminded of what was right outside of my door and windows.

Room Tip: Building 7 views the pool. Middle units on all three floors have no/inadequate decks.
7  Thank 620Hannah026
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My family and I love it here. We have stayed at both a cottage and a high rise over the past twenty years. Port O' Call has lovely pools, great beach access. Each unit has a useful kitchen, nice bathrooms, a washer/dryer and decent furniture. It's our home away from home for a week every year and we love it. I'll be coming back for years to come.

3  Thank aurora1999
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We've been hunting for that perfect "vacation destination" for some time now. The kids are old enough for us to travel and we found that this is a great location for families who want to get the most out of the Island without paying an arm and a leg. We were centrally located and could get to the beach fairly quickly. With young kids, we're looking for comfort more than glamour. Our villa was elegant, clean, and very kid friendly. Mom and dad slept in the bedroom and the kids slept on the fold-out couch. It was like he had our own suite.

1  Thank Schuyler P
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here while golfing in October. We had a 3 BR cottage and it was excellent with los of room. Port O"Call is central to most amenities on the island. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family