“Mostly sunny with a few scattered clouds”

The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Mostly sunny with a few scattered clouds”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife and I booked the Westin the first weekend in May between Spring Break and School Graduations to avoid the summer crowds. It appeared that many of the guests were there for weddings and business meetings. The hotel appears to excel catering to both areas as well as vacation guests. It was obvious that the building and landscaping underwent considerable renovations and was first class in most every detail.
Valet parking is available as well as self-parking located in front and under the building. We had requested a Premium Ocean Front on the fifth floor in a quiet area and assigned the same. The check-in line was a little slow, although I would contribute it to the guest lingering more than to the hotel staff. Once at the counter, my check-in time was rather quick and pleasant.
Our room was very modern, well-appointed, very clean and had a great view. Closet space was more than adequate. The balcony had two chairs and table made of a black woven vinyl that was comfortable and nice looking. The king bed and mattress were great and had multiple lighting options. The bathroom had dual sinks and the shower / tub had dual shower heads. One concern I had was that the bathtub floor was slippery and even with a safety bar on the wall you needed to be careful not to slip. The TV had a nice size flat panel with an “analog” signal. With most people use to HDTV that is not a great combination but it was watchable for the Kentucky Derby. Also, there is “techno” clock radio (iHome) that accommodates Bluetooth, USB and docking but I could never figure it out and did not ask.
The in-room furniture included a refrigerator that kept the temperature consistent and cold but no microwave in the room to warm up coffee. (A small coffee maker is provided in the room). The Wi-Fi in the room was adequate for both of our iPhones. I really liked the room floor on the entrance area and bathroom. It was a faux wood that cleans well and nice to walk on. However, I was disappointed in the HVAC noise. The fan motor made an annoying rattle, especially on cooling. Since the weather was unseasonably cool, and we are light sleepers, we ended up leaving the AC on off the entire time and opening the patio door for sleeping. To be fair, I did not call the desk for maintenance based on past experience of either multiple interruptions or changing rooms (neither of which we wanted). My suggestion would be to turn on the HVAC when arriving (before unpacking to evaluate the noise). Most likely your room will be fine or some people won’t care and can sleep through it. Overall the room was great and clean. The housekeeping service was terrific.
The outdoor pool area was magnificent with Trex like decking and cool looking and comfortable lounge furniture. The food and drink service staff was efficient but not overbearing for a relaxed atmosphere. The landscaping was lush and evidence why multiple wedding were booked at the Westin.
In summary, this is a great place and the staff could not have been more accommodating. I would recommend this Westin and plan to return.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking to the main elevators (long hallway), get a quiet room near the ocean...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David B
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin. We were delighted to read your comments that our recently upgraded resort is first-class and that you enjoyed the enhancements and amenities. We appreciate your noting that our staff was efficient and accommodating and that they provided a relaxed atmosphere. We are very sorry the HVAC unit was loud in your guest room, and we would have responded immediately to rectify it had we known of the issue as it is always our goal for our guests to be comfortable and well cared for. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing escape.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We visited this Westin to attend a wedding. The setting couldn't have been more perfect. It was a great place for a destination event. We gathered at the pool, enjoyed great meals at the pool bar, and had a nice brunch there too. The beach is lovely. The staff is friendly and very accommodating, especially helpful modifying meals a bit. (Think lean cuisine). Room size was generous and had wonderful amenities. Clean. Housekeeping was excellent and attentive. Only thing they need are more elevators!

Room Tip: Get a low floor so you can avoid the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sandy7117
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on your stay at The Westin to attend a destination wedding. Delighted to know that you enjoyed the pool area, beach, and well equipped guest room, as well as your dining experiences that we were able to personalize for you. We appreciate yiour comments that the staff is friendly and very accommodating as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
Campton Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Westin Hilton Head was a dream come true. My husband and I, spur of the moment, decided on Hilton Head and what a fantastic choice. The staff, room, pool, cabana, beach and spa were way beyond my expectations. It was so relaxing and every staff member (Olivia, Jeff, Jamel, Chris, Joslynn, Gabriel) treated us as if we were the only ones there. I read other feedback to get a sense of what we were in for and the Westin delivered and then some. No doubt we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean view.....ours was just steps from the pool, cababa and beach. AMAZING!!
Green Features: Really neat idea and I think most resorts are doing this.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paula P
Thank you for choosing The Westin as your fantastic vacation destination. Delighted to know our team assisted in making your dreams come true for a renewing and rejuvenating stay. We appreciate your noting so many of our staff who provided personal and instinctive service to ensure you were well cared for. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable stay.
Ruston, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I recently stayed here for a meeting. It is a nice place, unfortunately, I wasn't there that long and the weather didn't cooperate well enough for me to ever touch the sand. The room was nice, but it was a long way to the elevator, if you are on the north side of the property. Loved the outside dining!

Room Tip: It is a long way to the elevators on the north side of the property.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your perspective on your recent stay at The Westin to attend a meeting. We appreciate your noting the resort and guest room were very nice. We are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy outside dining, despite any inclement weather that prevented you from accessing our beautiful beach. We hope that you will return in the future to fully experience all our resort amenities so you may completely renew and rejuvenate.
Chicago
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked a last minute overnight stay here on our way to down to Florida. My first impressions were jaw dropping as how gorgeous the property is.. Check in was a breeze and though we had a basic room, the room and bathroom were just heavenly. Staff was extremely friendly, and food was delicious though it was expensive. The pools and beach were also very nice. My only complaint was our cellular service (AT&T) would not work in the room though I was able to receive Verizon service on my company's device. My wife and I would definitely come back here again for a weekend get away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your feeback that The Westin is a great all around resort, and that your first impression of our gorgeous property was so positive. Delighted to know that you enjoyed friendly service, delicious food, and our beautiful pool and beach areas. Some cellular phone providers, such as AT&T, are well aware of the issues they have with service on Hilton Head Island. Our local Chamber of Commerce has been working with them and, hopefully, a resolution will occur in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing weekend getaway.
Peachtree City, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Got in to westin and the room that we paid for , which is premium ocean view, was a view of trees. So after we changed the rooms and settled the bathroom was very dirty, the toilet had yellow stains and the shower curtain had blood not to mention the tub was retaining water. I believe for the amount of money you spend the least you expect is a clean room to settle in. Very disappointed and would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Nour R
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at The Westin. Delighted to know you received great customer service during your stay, but I was extremely disappointed to learn of the cleanliness issue you mentioned in the bathroom. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconveniences you experienced which are certainly not indicative of the high quality standards we adhere to for cleanliness. In checking, our Director of Housekeeping advises we have had no guest complaints of this nature, and we are sorry that we did not have the opportunity to immediately rectify the situation and ensure your comfort. It is always our intent for our guests to feel renewed and refreshed, and I hope that you will reconsider a future visit as I know we could meet and exceed your expectations at that time.
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I recently stayed here for a conference. The views are great as are the rooms. The pool was top notch, although they advertised pool side beverage service I never saw anyone serving drinks. There appeared to be a large water playground for children but having no children with us, I didn't visit it. We ate at two different outdoor restaurants and found the food and service to be good. We had she crab soup for lunch two days in a row, it was so good. We also enjoyed nightcaps in Carolina's with a large group and the drinks were strong and bartender very personable. My favorite spot was sitting outdoor at the firepit and going into Carolina's for our drinks. The only complaint, and reason for the 4 stars is the distance one has to walk to the restrooms. The restrooms are located just off the main entrance and there are 3-4 stalls. These restrooms support the main lobby, shops, pools, all bars and restaurants, conference rooms and are quite a distance away from all of these facilities. Having recently had surgery this was quite inconvenient and many in our group were complaining of this. Once you finally reach the restroom you were required to wait in line for availability. Our room was near the beach and thankfully there was a back elevator to support getting to the beach, pool and restaurants. The next closest elevator is approximately 5 corridors away. Housekeeping services were wonderful, as were guest services when we requested down free bedding due to allergies. Valet and baggage services were efficient and friendly, with no wait even though the resort was booked to capacity. Live music pool-side on Friday and Saturday was great. I missed the music on Sunday. That would have been a nice addition to my pool day. Overall, nice place, and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: I believe most all rooms are ocean view, but I would request to be sure. Also 5th floor is top floo...
Green Features: In room recycling was very nice. The majority of my trash was recycled.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin to attend a conference. I was glad to know you were able to enjoy many of our amenities and restaurants/bars. We appreciate your comments that housekeeping services were wonderful and that you had friendly and efficient service from our staff. It was also nice to know that you enjoyed the live music in our courtyard which enhances our resort environment. I am sorry you were not aware of all the restroom locations in the resort as we do have restrooms located near the Splash poolside bar, in Oceans Restaurant, and also near the grand ballroom/meeting rooms which are in addition to the main lobby restrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a renewing and relaxing stay.