“Westin is amazing, night pool security takes it a little far.”

The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I have been going to HHI for 15 years! We originally stayed at the Westin, but over the years started to stay at the Omni, formerly Hilton. So we wanted to really compare the two. I stayed at the Omni a few weeks later on a girls trip. In my opinion two best resorts. The Westin is nicer on the inside, grand lobby, indoor hallways, amazing rooms, the heavenly bed is just that! I love the outdoor dark wood and the outdoor furniture is so comfortable! Great pool chairs!! The outdoor bar is really nice again lots of places to hang out and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. There is a small kids pool, really one main pool, but it is large and never seemed overcrowded. The food by the pool was good, the chicken wrap, with apples and nuts was great! We have a tradition which is after dinner walk on the beach, the stars are amazing! Then we hit the pool and hot tub. I love night swimming. This was an issue, we were not making any noise, at all, but the night security acted like we were criminals!! No joke, I saw him do it twice, he was aggressive and literally kicked us out!! . Actually aggressive is putting it mildly. So on our last night, we were the only ones swimming about 10pm, not making a sound and he came over and starting yelling at us. I did tell him it was ridiculous as people were all around the fire pits and pool area drinking and having a great time. We were floating around a huge pool, there were no complaints I assure you, and there was no reason to make it a federal case. Was I at the Westin or a Motel 6?? First time that has ever happened. When I was at the Omni on a girls trip we swam every night with instance.

Room Tip: This is tricky, they really need to cut down some trees. Very few rooms actually have an ocean view...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stephanie C
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for sharing that The Westin is amazing. We appreciate your comments on our great indoor and outdoor environment and that you enjoyed amazing guest rooms as well as our signature Heavenly Bed. We were also glad to know you enjoyed dining poolside. Please accept our sincere apology for the experience you had with our security officer regarding night swimming. I am sorry for any misunderstanding and that he did not provide a proper explanation regarding pool usage after dark. We follow state laws related to lighting in the pool area in the evening and pool usage, and guest safety is always our main concern. The comfort of all guests in the evening hours is extremely important to us. We also follow local ordinances related to reduced and special lighting in the evening due to the endangered loggerhead turtles which nest on our beachfront. We hope that you will return in the future so that we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,678)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We are traveling to Hilton Head for the 1st time in August. I have no doubt that the Westin is a BEAUTIFUL property and we truly wanted to stay here based on the excellent reviews (and I am very impressed by the fact that the hotel acknowledges each review). However, I was shocked to learn that fresh off their 30 million dollar renovation, room size adjustments did not come into play - although I can't imagine that is an easy fix. We have three daughters and we have never encountered a situation where a room with 2 queen beds could not also accommodate a roll away bed or have a single pull out couch. I was therefore very surprised to learn from the reservation specialist said that there are no rooms at the hotel that can accommodate 5 people. Most every room appears to have 320 square feet. It is not economically reasonable to have to get a second room just to accommodate 1 person. We will therefore have to book our stay at the Omni where a standard room is 530 square feet and they can accommodate a rollaway bed. It is in the same price category as The Westin so I am sure the Omni will meet our expectations however, I am just surprised that the Westin limits your ability to stay there because of their room size.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank 1Mom2Three
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for sharing feedback on your upcoming trip to Hilton Head Island. You are correct that The Westin did recently renovate and significantly upgrade the entire resort. We are very grateful for all the positive reviews we regulary receive on our outstanding facility and exemplary service. We also upgraded each guest room from the previous two double size beds to two queen size beds, in addition to having guest rooms with king size beds. Due to local fire codes, we are not permitted to add an additional rollaway bed in the guest rooms with 2 queen size beds for the safety and security of all guests. We do have other options available for families that include 2 connecting guest rooms so all family members are comfortable, or we have a more spacious suite option with connecting room. It is always our intent for our guests to have a top notch and renewing experience. We hope you will choose The Westin on a future visit to Hilton Head Island so you can fully experience luxury and wellness in travel.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I took our 1 year son to Hilton Head for the weekend and we had a blast. The hotel did not hesitate at all to guarantee a crib in our room prior to arrival when other hotels often treat it as a non-guarantee request. We were driving down from Atlanta Friday after work got a late start. The hotel noticed we were past the ETA I had given them and the front desk actually called to check on us. They went ahead and confirmed the crib was in the room and even made sure the AC's were on and the room was cool. When we showed up they had everything ready for us and check in was a breeze. During the entire weekend we were greeted with nothing but smiles and great attitudes. We had such a great time we have already booked another long weekend in July.

2  Thank Alan P

Thank you for sharing that you had a great family weekend at The Westin. Delighted to know that our staff ensured you were well cared for upon arrival and that you experienced personal and instinctive service throughout your stay. We look forward to your return visit in the near future so we may ensure another memorable and renewing stay.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had an outstanding stay at this resort.. Everything was perfect! You feel like you are staying in some far- away tropical island. There are so many beautiful flowers and plants to enjoy during your stay here. The decor is so soothing. The placed is so well maintained. I could go on and on. Will go back for another visit!!!!

Room Tip: Our room view was the Koi pond and we loved it. We had an accessible room and it fit our needs perfe...
1  Thank kirkman50

Thank you for sharing that you love The Westin and that you had an outstanding stay that was absolutely perfect. We are glad to know you enjoyed our beautiful foilage throughout the resort grounds and our recently renovated "coastal chic" decor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our second stay at the Westin HHI. Our first visit was two years ago for our babymoon. For this trip, we had our 21 month old with us and it was also our 15th anniversary (Hilton Head being where we spent our honeymoon, though not at the Westin on that visit in 1999). When we called to make the reservation, we happened to mention those facts, but it was still a lovely surprise to be upgraded to an amazing suite (The Heron Suite) and to be welcomed with a bottle of champagne, anniversary gift, and a t-shirt for our son. It is service details like this that make properties stand out to us, and will make us highly likely to return when we come back to the island for our next major milestone.

Outside of this, the property itself was lovely. I recall that when we were here two years ago, there were some renovations underway, and those have now been complete. The lobby and public areas have been beautifully updated, earning this property more of the Westin distinction that it had before. Each encounter with a hotel staff member was also very positive - from housekeeping to pool staff to spa staff.

The one "complaint" is that the front desk was unable to make any restaurant recommendations for us. Both times we asked, the concierge desk was already closed, and so I do understand that the front desk was a bit handicapped. However, when you ask about a great local place for pizza, you don't expect to be told to go to Pizza Hut.

Other than that, it was a tremendous visit, a nice celebration, and a great way for our son to see the ocean for the first time.

1  Thank Angela837

Thank you for sharing that you had a lovely return visit to The Westin with your family for your 15th wedding anniversary. I was glad to know that our staff ensured we recognized your special event with personal and instinctive service. We are glad that you enjoyed our recently renovated "coastal chic" decor. I am very sorry the concierge was not available to assist you after normal hours, however, our front desk staff should have been able to make the proper recommendations. We will review this further with our team to ensure we respond attentively to guest inquiries with the proper information. We look forward to welcoming your family back soon for another memorable stay.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I planned a weekend trip (2 night) and booked through Orbitz. We were celebrating my birthday, and our first trip as a couple away from our one year old. We had booked an oceanfront room and were looking forward to the hotel experience. Not sure where things went wrong, but on the way down, my wife called since we were going to be checking in late. The person who answered the phone was very rude, and said they had no reservation for us. My wife immediately called Orbitz who called the hotel and we were told by Orbitz that our reservation would be honored. Upon arrival, the hotel front desk staff informed us that our room had a mechanical issue and we were being upgraded to one of the villas just up the road. My wife and I accepted the "upgrade" since we had not other options. We quickly realized this wasn't an upgrade as the villa was last updated in the 80's. We immediately called the front desk and let them know that we were not satisfied and that we would like to check into the main hotel the next day. The villa decor was not only worn and awful, the bed was like a rock, and very dirty and run down. The next morning we went to the hotel property and enjoyed the pool until mid afternoon. We visited the front desk, and were greeted by friendly staff. We explained to her what had been happening and that we want to speak to a manager. We were greeted by Kristyn who was very sympathetic, and that is where things turned around. We told her that we did not believe their excuse and that we believe they double booked our room. Kristyn provided us with two free vouchers for breakfast the next morning, and when we returned to our room after dinner, a bottle of champagne and chocolates was in our room. The hotel property is great. The pool area is phenomenal, with multiple eating options for lunch. The beach is great, and the hotel has been completely remodeled. If not for the initial booking issues, I would recommend this hotel with no hesitancy.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the oceanfront rooms. Balcony / room view is great.
1  Thank TeamHibirk

Thank you for choosing The Westin for your romantic getaway. I was glad to know that you enjoyed our recently renovated resort as well as our pool environment and fantastic beach. We are sorry for any misunderstanding that occurred at check-in and the isolated issues you experienced with a villa upgrade. Please know that many guests really enjoy the convenience of a large and fully equipped villa, that is very highly rated by RCI, and is also easily accessible to all the resort amenities. I was glad that our staff ensured you were well cared for upon your return to the resort and that Kristyn provided personal and instinctive service. We hope you will return in the near future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Let me start out by saying that this is a beautiful property in a gorgeous area of Hilton Head Beach. That being said:

The check in was less than satisfactory.....room wasn't ready, when they text us to say it was we had to wait in line all over again. And for heavens sake folks at the front desk, you are the front line.......Try to smile for people that are paying $500 a night at your hotel.

We paid for a pool/ocean view....yeah, right. Make sure you don't end up in the northwest corner. It's more like a woodland view. We were in room 5050.....no way that room should be priced as a room with a view. All we could see were trees.

Food is pretty good. But my wife ordered a turkey / spicy avocado sandwich to take to the beach......when she got there, no avocado and no sauce, just turkey on toast. And once again, the guy taking her order couldn't have been less engaging. It was like we were bothering him or wasting his time.

Finally, after the first day my wife left the beach to go to our room....neither of our two door keys worked. She had to go searching for me to get in because she had no ID. How do both keys stop working after one day?

This is a beautiful hotel.....it just needs someone to run it a little better.

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Phylo82

Thank you for sharing your perspective on your stay at The Westin. We appreciate your noting the resort is beautiful in a gorgeous beachfront location. Our standard check-in time is at 4:00 p.m., although we do have many guests who arrive early to enjoy the resort, and we may not have availability to check guests in early. We do welcome these guests to renew and enjoy resort amenities until their room is available. Regarding the guest room being partially blocked by trees, please know that trees are a beautiful and valued part of our environment here on Hilton Head Island, and the Town of Hilton Head Island has extensive restrictions related to trimming or cutting the protected foliage which we must adhere to. Your comments will assist us in working with the Town to persuade them that we need to trim the trees while maintaining the spectacular views for our valued guests and a friendly eco-environment. We were glad to know the food was good, but are very sorry that an order was not placed properly, and that the service was not up to our usual high standards. We are also sorry for the inconvenience of keys deactivating, and for safety and security which I am sure you understand, we do require proper identification from guests needing another key. We hope that you will return in the future as I know we can meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.