“Beautiful Property, but inexperienced staff and bad parking situation”

The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Pros: 1. It is a beautiful resort in a great location.
2. The pool area is very nice and there are plenty of comfortable chairs. There are also a few showers to wash your feet from the sand as you enter the pool area.
3. The rooms are updated and spacious. I had no complaints at all with the room, except the balcony looked out to pretty much nothing.
4. I was on the 1st floor (which I am normally not a fan of), but that is a good place to stay at this resort, as it provided very quick beach access and you didn't have to deal with the elevator.
5. You can rent an umbrella and chairs right in front of the resort, as well as many different things from the resort pool area.

Cons: 1. The staff is very friendly, but you can tell they are inexperienced. They do not seem to understand the rewards program (the late checkout benefit, the platinum gift, upgrades, etc.). You could go to 4-5 different people at the front desk and get 4-5 different answers for the same question. Also, I was a little disappointed to get a room with absolutely no view at all as I have been a platinum guest for the past 5 years.
2. Food was overpriced (as expected on the resort), and the service was slow. I waited 25 minutes for a waiter to even come to the table at Splash (and I had to let them know I haven't been served).
3. Parking was horrendous. They offer valet parking, which is 17 dollars a night to park in the same garage as the self parking (which is included in the amenity fee). Since they mark a number of spots as valet only (many that remain empty), they do not have enough spots for those who want to park their own cars. People are parked illegally all over the property. I think some people even start parking in valet only spots in hopes of not getting towed.

I would stay at this resort again, but I would hope they would improve on some of the things they listed above.

Room Tip: The first floor is good, because it provides quick beach access and you don't have to deal with...
1  Thank CLT_Travel-Girl4Lyfe
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for sharing, as one of our valued SPG Platinum guests, that The Westin is a beautiful property in a great location. We are delighted that you enjoyed the numerous amenities available and our spacious and udpated guest rooms. During the summer months, our resort is a very popular destination, and we cannot always provide complimentary upgraded accommodations or late-check out which are always based on availability as an SPG program benefit. I am sorry for any miscommunication that occurred which is being investigated further to ensure all our guests are well cared for. Parking is also at a premium due to our popularity, although our staff should always be able to assist upon request. We are very sorry there was a wait at Splash as we always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We do hope you will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This property is located in a beautiful setting plus is beach front! Plenty of children activities, 3 outdoor pools to choose from and a spa. The pools do not have life guards. The beach is steps away with beach patrols. There are outdoor showers to clean the sand off of your feet. There are plenty of chairs around the pools both in and out of the sun. Several things you can rent like beach chairs and umbrellas to water toys. The hotel staff is very friendly. Housekeeping services are wonderful. If you prefer to have your room serviced at a specific time, all you need to do is call them. All the food that is served here is very good and the desserts are delicious! Hallways are noisy - voices echo and the doors slam very hard, We had a spacious suite with 2 tv's, pull out sofa sleeper and 2 balconies. The bathroom is great with double sinks and an epic rain shower. Looking forward to going back next year!

3  Thank FrequentTraveler1225
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for sharing The Westin is in a beautiful beachfront setting that is almost paradise. We are glad to know you enjoyed the numerous amenities as well as the great food options. Delighted that you also enjoyed one of our spacious suites. We appreciate your noting that the staff is very friendly and housekeeping services were wonderful as our staff always strives to ensure our guests are well cared for. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back next year for another rejuvenating stay.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We just spent a week at the Westin. It is definitely a beautiful property and the cleaning staff kept it extremely clean. After reading all of the reviews and the upgrades granted for SPG Members, which I am; we decided to stay here. I emailed the property three times to request an upgrade to our room for being a Starwood premier member and it was our 25th wedding anniversary. Never received one response. Fortunately a local Starwood rep that I work with called and was able to at least get us an ocean view room, which was nice as you could see the pool area and beach. The room was spacious; the bathroom was exceptionally nice and big. Very small refrigerator. There are only two drawers, so take plenty of hangers. There is also a safe in the room which was very nice. Very limited TV channels. After reading all of the reviews about the elevator issues, I was like, really, how bad can that be...it was bad. After a thirty million dollar renovation, you would think they would have addressed the elevator issue. Most of the parking is in the underground garage, and there is a pool/beach access from there, so you could keep all of your beach stuff in your car. However, even though we were closest to the beach access elevator we had to walk about two city blocks to get to the garage elevator. Again, not a big deal when going to dinner, but when you are carrying a cooler and beach bag, etc it got to be a bit much. You are not allowed to use their luggage carts, you have to pay a doorman to do that for you. We just made several trips, I did not feel comfortable with having someone else unload all of the stuff we brought with us for our long stay. The restaurants are extremely expensive with very limited menu items (a lot of seafood). The breakfast Buffet was $22.00 and nothing to speak of. One night we had a sweet tooth and I went down to get three apple tarts with a scoop of ice cream....$35.00. This is resort living, which I understand. I just am offering all of this information out there, so people know what to expect. Pay attention to your bill when checking out. They charged me $17.00 for valet services, I do not need someone to park my car, so did not use their services. Also, if you go to the pool bar and order keep an eye on that, because my 15 year old son was able to go up and give a room number, no name, and order off the menu. I also, endulged in a few of their $10.00 drinks and was never asked my name just a room number. One last thing, unrelated to the resort and more so HIlton Head; If you are like us and had never been to the area - You only see the ocean from your room (if you have an ocean view); it is not like Florida where you can drive down the road and look at the ocean. It can not be seen from any of the roads. All you see is trees, it is more like a forest.

Room Tip: Ocean View is just as good as ocean front, as you can see the entire pool deck area which is very be...
1  Thank MOFamilyoffive

Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a nice resort where you chose to celebrate your 25th wedding anniversary. Congratulations on this special milestone. In the month of July, we have had many SPG Platinum, Gold, and Preferred guests, as well as Ambassador guests visiting, and due to many high occupancy days, we do not always had the opportunity to provide upgraded accommodations from the room type originally reserved for our valued guests. We do respond to guest e-mails, and I am sorry you did not receive a prompt response, but I was glad to know we were able to provide an ocean view room. Due to insurance requirements, guests are not permitted to use the luggage carts, but we do provide this service at no charge to our guests to assist with their luggage. Our food & beverage pricing is very competitive with other Hilton Head Island and east coast resorts, and we always strive to provide a high quality product. I do apologize for the isolated incident of an erroneous valet parking charge which we suspect was quickly removed. We appreciate your noting we have a beautiful property and look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a renewing and relaxing stay.
- Jeff Waddell, Diretor of Operations

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Not enough space to comment on all the things that went wrong. Original reservation was not fulfilled as room was inexplicably not available upon check-in. Then offered a different room size not to reservation request. Finally, received an ocean/poll view room with an excellent view of the ocean's restaurant exhaust vent with fumes wafting into the room. After the fourth try, we finally received the room and view we had booked initially.

Reservations could not link our extra day to our reservation so we were locked out of our room the last day of our stay even though we were assured on at least 5 occasions that the reservations were linked.

Only vacation that I ever wanted to end as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if room is actually an ocean/pool view with no structural obstacles in the way.
4  Thank OMJ59
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for sharing feedback on your stay at The Westin. It is always our intent to provide guests with a renewing and rejuvenating experience, and I was disappointed we did not meet all your expectations. We always try to ensure we fully honor all reserved room and view types. There are, however, times related to occupancy or unforeseen circumstances when a certain room and view type might be unavailable. We then attempt to put our guests into the next best available room when this occurs. The guest room size is basically the same for all rooms, with the exception of our suites which vary in square footage. We have many unique angles with our building architecture, and some roof lines overlook operational areas in our courtyard as part of a specific view. We also do our best to bridge separate reservations, but occasionally have technical issues which override a change, and I sincerely apologize the room key deactivated. We hope that you will return in the future as I know we can meet and exceed your expectations at that time for a rejuvenating stay.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My sons and I visited the Westin, and loved playing in the ocean, walking the beach, swimming in the covered (no sun) pool, relaxing in the dappled shade under trees on great chaise lounge chairs. It was a very idyllic setting, and I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: Choose beachfront, always!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing feedback on your family trip to The Westin. Delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic beachfront environment, walking on the beach, and enjoying our pool. We look forward to welcoming you and your sons back in the near future for another memorable family escape.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just returned from a really nice stay at the Westin HHI. Our family of four secured a wonderful oceanfront room for our beach vacation at the last minute when our other plans fell through.

The check in process was smooth and front desk staff very friendly and helpful when needed. Room itself was spacious and the recent updates were done tastefully and modern. Despite a ton of families with children of all ages, the room and really the whole resort was fairly quiet and peaceful.

The hotel grounds were clean, well kept and full of lush vegetation. Pools were beautiful but we did not spend much time there as we prefer the beach. The hotel has beach umbrellas and chairs that rent for $32 the first day and $20 on subsequent days. There are also paddle boards, boogie boards, bikes, etc that can be rented from a local company on the premises. The prices can be a bit steep but that is the way it is at a beach resort nowadays.

We didn't eat at the resort except for breakfast at the little coffee shop in the lobby. It was great for a muffin or croissant on the way to the beach and the staff was top notch.

I also loved the underground parking as most spaces are quite close to the elevator which was a big plus given the length of the hallways from the lobby to our room.

Not many negatives I can think of and if we go back to HHI and stay at a resort we would definitely choose the Westin.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for sharing that The Westin is an excellent beach resort. I was delighted that you enjoyed a wonderful and updated oceanfront guest room, our beautiful pool area, and fantastic beach. We are also glad to know you enjoyed the convenience of Ingredients for a quick breakfast. We appreciate your noting the staff was top notch as they always strive to ensure our guests are well cared for. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another rejuvenating stay.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were only able to stay one night, but it was great. The multi-million dollar updates paid off. The grounds are beautiful, well appointed, close to the ocean. Plenty of pools for all. My only complaint is that there are so few elevators. Long hallways and few ayes to get down to the lobby.

The breakfast at the Caroilina Cafe was very good. The staff throughout were helpful and very friendly. This would be a very nice family vacation destination.

Room Tip: South Tower, beach front is best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a wonderful beachfront destination and that you enjoyed the recent multi-million dollar renovation and upgrades. We appreciate your noting the Caroilna Cafe Restaurant was very good and that staff were helfpul and friendly as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
- Jeff Waddell, DIrector of Operations