“Delightful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Piedmont, California
“Delightful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Wonderful property, nice staff , easy beach access and lovely pool = Delightful!
Everyone from the bell staff (everyone of them) to Patrick at View 32 couldn't have been more helpful. Great place for a family vacation.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thanks you for sharing that you had a delightful stay at The Westin and that you enjoyed our fantastic pools and easy beach access. We appreciate your complimentary remarks on our staff as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing family vacation.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My two favorite hotels in HHI are The Westin and The Marriott. I preferred The Westin rooms , but I liked The Marriott's staff. My preferences have changed. The Westin's staff is outstanding. The valets greeted me walking through the doors. Harry, at the front desk asked me if I were a rewards member. I was but left my card at home, so he looked up my number to give me credit. I asked him where I could get some good food this late and he suggested Oceans or Carolina Cafe. He also pointed out the free water in my room.
I was going to eat at Oceans and I came across Michael from Cork. He was friendly and offered to get me a seat. It was humid, so decided to eat in the Cafe. The man who showed me to my table was very friendly, too. Leroy was my server and pointed out a lot of delicious items on the menu. I settled on the shrimp quesadilla, which was gooey with a subtle kick. Leroy suggested dessert, so I got the chocolate Savannah cake which was moist and creamy. Between dinner and dessert, Michael came by to see how I enjoyed my meal and to chat about my stay. Also, another server came by to see if I needed anything even though I wasn't"t his customer. I have stayed here a handful of times within the last 4 years, and this is by far the best I have been treated. Everyone acknowledged my presence and treated me as a valued guest, especially Harry, Michael and Leroy. The food was really good. I like the rooms because they get cool quickly and stay cool. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Join the rewards club
Green Features: I liked that they allowed me to choose my preferences.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing that you had a Heavenly stay at The Westin as one of our valued repeat guests. Delighted that you found our staff to be outstanding, and we appreciate the comments on all the staff who ensured you received personal and instinctive service. We also appreciate your noting the food you experienced was really good and that you also enjoyed your guest room. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
Norwood, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at the Westin 7/26 - August 2nd, 2014. This resort has the most friendly staff on every level and are incredibly accommodating in every way! We had a slight mix up with our room upon check in but it was all resolved very quickly, and we were given a very nice room with a beautiful view and also received a bottle of champagne as I mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary! We also received complimentary breakfast vouchers due to the room mix up. The breakfast buffet was amazing and had everything on it! Many healthy options too! The rooms were clean and spacious and there are 3 pools and a hot tub. The beds were very comfortable and helped for a great nights sleep. The beach was beautiful and only a few steps from the resort. The housekeeping staff was also very friendly and did a great job cleaning the rooms. There are several restaurant options for food at this resort, and it was all good! Great pool side drinks too! All in all, this was a great vacation at a great location, and we will definitely return. I commend the staff at this resort! They made our stay wonderful!

Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing that you had an enjoyable anniversary/vacation at The Westin recently. I was delighted to know our staff surprised you with complimentary champagne for your anniversary celebration. We are also glad you enjoyed a nice guest room with beautiful view as well as our comfortable, signature Heavenly Bed. Thank you for sharing that our staff was friendly and accommodating as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We appreciate your comments that the restaurant options and poolside drinks were great. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
Cincinnati, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at Westin HHI from July 28 - August 2. Overall, a nice stay.

Positives:

1. Pool and beach are terrific. Clean and easy access and a great place to hang all day with the family. It 'feels' like a resort should feel.

2. The hotel food is NOT what you'd expect from hotel food - absolutely terrific meals! Whether we ate at Carolina Cafe, poolside at Splash, Oceans, or even room service, which we did one night, every meal we had was delicious. I travel a lot and typically find that hotel food is average at best. Not the case here at all.

3. Restaurant service is fantastic. If you want to get off the beach for a quick bite and back out onto the sand quickly, their service gets it done for you. If you want to linger a long time under the umbrellas, we never felt a rush to get out to seat others. I do want to specifically mention one server in particular who exceeded our expectations the 3 times we happened to have her serve us: Her name is Lauren (don't know her last name), and she is from Belfast, Ireland (including this fact so the hotel can properly recognize her for her work). Lauren was exceptional at providing us quick meals when we needed them; offered excellent advice on the menu to meet our varying needs (all boys, oldest 21, youngest 13) which was very helpful; had an engaging personality to better understand us as a family, which resulted in her providing us great advice on a family excursion, and was just overall extremely pleasant. She is an excellent server.

Negative:

1. We arrived at 12:35 PM at the resort, and were told our room was not ready, which was understandable, since check-in time is 4 PM. I told the front desk we'd go eat lunch and do some errands and return. We returned at 2:15 - room still not ready. We ended up getting into our room at 3:58 PM. Again, I understand check in time is stated as 4 PM, but I was staying in a $493 per night suite, I am a Starwood Preferred Guest member, and I own a timeshare within the Westin network of hotels and resorts (I was not using my timeshare on the vacation - I was paying full price). I don't usually like to ask for special treatment, but when it's clear that housekeeping is cleaning rooms that cost $200 a night before they get to my $500/night suite, that's frustrating. Their aren't that many suites in the hotel - when suite guests arrived early, I don't think it's too much to ask for their room to be bumped to the head of the cleaning list because of the cost of the room. It's why airlines let First Class passengers board first - they paid more. To make matters worse, when we finally did get to our room, the next morning while making coffee the coffee maker had an old, used filter pak in it - not a huge deal, but also makes you wonder just how thoroughly they really cleaned the room.

2. Service within the hotel if you make any sort of phone call requesting anything at all is truly horrible. 2 examples: 1) on the night we decided to stay in and order room service, we could not find the menu. When I called, I was first told to look in several places in the room - nothing there. So they said they'd bring one up. 90 minutes (!!!!) later our menu arrived. I called 3 times to ask where our menu was, each time being told it's on it's way. Then, about 15 minutes after we got our menu, there was a knock on the door - someone brought up another menu! Clearly, their internal communications is lacking. Example 2) Another night we called and asked for 2 extra pillows. It took 2 hours (TWO HOURS!!) for them to bring us our pillows. I again had to call 3 times, and the last time I called the woman tried to make ME feel badly by putting me on hold and then picking up and telling me: "Sir, I just had to leave my post, go find a bellman, who was leaving the building, but agreed to bring you your pillows." Seriously? Absolutely no apologies for my wait at all for such a simple request. I was stunned.

3. Lifeguards on the beach (who I believe contract with the Westin) - every night at 5 they come and put away all the rental chairs and umbrellas. We rented 3 chairs and an umbrella for our stay. When the time comes for them to be put away, the lifeguards, pretty much every day (and they were different each day) had a major attitude about having to clean up. Instead of a friendly "we're sorry, but it's 5 PM and we need to put away your chairs and umbrella" they literally waved us out of our chairs like a mother would wave a child off a nice couch he or she wasn't allowed to sit on.My boys and I found this rude.

So, in short, despite the late room check in, and the incredibly long wait times for simple in-hotel requests for menus and pillows, and less than friendly life guards, our trip was still a good trip We enjoyed our pool and beach time, and loved our meals - we didn't allow the negative stuff to get in the way of a great time. And again, Lauren was a joy to interact with and a true professional in her job. If you go this resort and eat in, ask for Lauren from Belfast!

Tom Millikin
Cincinnati, OH

Green Features: They give you a $5 off coupon for use in the resort if you opt to not have housekeeping clean your room one night.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mr. Millikin,
Thank you for sharing the numerous positive comments, as one of our valued SPG members and timeshare owners, on your recent stay at The Westin. We are delighted you enjoyed our pool and beach areas as well as our restaurants and in-room dining experiences. We especially appreciate your complimentary remarks on Lauren providing personal and instinctive service. Our resort is a very popular destination in the summer season, and we cannot always provide an early check-in based on room type and availability. We do encourage early arrivals to take advantange of our pools/beach/restaurants to start enjoying our resort. I was glad to know that you were checked in just prior to our standard check-in time. The Town of Hilton Head Island contracts with a local vendor to provide beach rentals and services for all of Hilton Head Island's beaches, and we are not permitted to provide this service on the beach. However, we do have umbrellla and chair rentals available at our resort for those guests who wish to take these items to the beach. We are sorry you did not experience friendly and professional service from the beach vendor, and we will share your constructive comments with them. We are very sorry for the inconsistencies and delays you experienced with room deliveries which is not up to our usual high standards, and please know we are investigating further so these types of incidents do not reoccur. I was glad to know that overall you did have a great time, and we hope you will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Westin the week of July 27-1. Nice hotel. Rooms a bit on small side but outdoor pool areas make up for it. 3 pools and a hot tub gives you lots of options. Need more waiters around pool area. You put an order in for lunch and a drink and it takes awhile. Forget about a refill. Overall good experience and would stay here again

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay at The Westin. Delighted to know that you enjoyed our beautiful outside courtyard and pool areas. Please accept our apology for delays in poolside food & beverage service which is not up to our usual standards of ensuring all guests are well cared for. I was glad to know that overall you had a good experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for another rejuvenating stay.
Decatur, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Second time here didn't think they could do any better than the first stay but they have managed to out do themselves. Restaurants have good food and great wait staff. Beautiful view of the ocean and pool area is great place to hang out with an adult beverage at the end of the day.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing feedback on your second renewing stay at The Westin. It is always our intent for our guests to feel welcome and special upon arrival, and we are delighted you had another positive experience. It is nice to know that you enjoyed a beautiful ocean view, our fantastic pool area, and dining at our restaurants. We especially appreciate your noting the wait staff was great as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable stay.
St. Augustine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Disappointed, would not recommend this property. We were spending only one night so I requested an early check-in to get the most of our money and watched as dozens of others checked in early in the same room type. I made the mistake of telling the front desk I was a travel agent, which sometimes gets you perks, other times poor staff don't realize the connection and go out of their way to worsen your stay. So, as I watched others check-in early, we tried to use the facilities. The restroom near the pool bar was disgusting and too dirty to change, so we went back inside. Once on the beach we tried to rent an umbrella to avoid sunburn, but they were sold out. We eventually got our room key 5 minutes before the 4pm norm. The doors on the patio were so dirty, you couldn't see the beach. At dinner, there were 3 staff to over 120 diners at View 32, meaning very long waits and mixed up orders. Management saving pennies with poor staff levels, don't expect that at a Westin for over $300 per night. I self parked, but they still tried to tag $17 valet fee on my bill. At check-out, no interest in how our stay was, no mention of SPG coming or going. I have booked hundreds of Westin and other SPG properties for clients over the past 10 years, will think twice in future. I had redeemed Marriott Reward points for 2 nights nearby and that was far superior. First time I've ever seen a charge for business center computer access. Book Marriott when in this area.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Keith Z
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your perspective, as a valued SPG Member and travel partner, on your recent stay at The Westin. Our resort is a very popular destination in the summer months with many sold out days, and we are not always able to provide early check-in which is based on availability. Please accept our sincere apologies for inconsistencies you noted with the restroom, a wait at View 32, and the billing error which was rectified at check-out, and know that we are reviewing further with our team so these types of incidents do not occur in the future. The Town of Hilton Head Island contracts with a private vendor for all beach rentals and services on all Hilton Head Island beaches, and we are not permitted to provide those services on the beach. However, we do have chair and umbrella rentals available at our resort for a reasonable fee. It is always our intent for our guests to have a renewing and relaxing stay and experience the personal and instinctive service for which we are known, and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I do hope that you will return so we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time by providing a special and renewing stay.