“Beautiful resort, fun times for young family”

The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Beautiful resort, fun times for young family”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Westin Hilton Head for 4 nights for a family vacation. We came back after a brief stay last year because the property was beautiful, clean, and family-friendly. We chose a Carolina Suite for the added space for our children to play and to have meals inside the hotel room. The living space was large enough for our children to play on the floor, and we had a mini fridge for quick breakfasts and snacks.

We also loved the easy access to the beach from our room and the three different types of pools for our children to play in (covered, small shallow pool, and a large pool).

The concierge was helpful in finding rainy-day options and for helping us find off-site family friendly activities.

The rooms were very clean and the housekeeping and room service staff were excellent.

There are a couple of things that could be better as a four-star property:
* Better front door service. It seems like the staff at the driveway are ready to help if you are valet parking the car or when you're checking in/out, but for everyday reasons. On a couple of occasions, I was carrying multiple bags and walking with a toddler, and none of the front door staff offered to help me carry the bags into the hotel. No one offered to put the bags on a cart or help me to my room.

* Better Kids' Menu options - I wished the kids' menu offered additional items that would be more palatable to younger kids. Cobb salad, turkey wraps, etc. may tempt some preschoolers, but not mine.

Room Tip: Go for the Carolina Suite if you have a family. The extra space is totally worth it if you're st...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a beautiful resort and that your family enjoyed a renewing family vacation. I was glad to know you enjoyed the extra space offered by one of our Carolina Suites as well as quick beach access and our numerous swimming pools. We appreciate knowing our conceirge and housekeeping staff ensured you were well cared for. Please know that our staff strives to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest, and I am sorry that you did not receive special attention when you had arms full from our front door staff which would be our expectation. We do have many healthy food choices for children and will always assist with special requests or dietary needs. We do hope your family will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our excitement began with the drive into the resort property, with the well manicured hiking/biking trails under very large trees. Valet was friendly and helpful , although we did not valet our car. Registration very helpful finding us a perfect room in a completely booked hotel, accommodating our small service dog.
The tone of this upscale property was a delightful surprise for lack of pretentiousness. Everything from business casual to swimsuit coverups and flip flops. It's not often I see resort properties with such friendly staff, eager to assist. Housekeeping was respectful of do not disturb sign, and impressively efficient. We dined at the comfortable outdoor bar and shared a large seafood tray for two that was delicious. I can't say enough about the servers, as they were so warm and friendly as they met all our requests.
Bravo to the management team here. They seem to be dedicated to making your stay an excellent experience. At the end of our stay we walked away with our receipt saying "Gladly"!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing that you had a lovely laid-back experience at The Westin. I was delighted to know that our staff ensured you were well cared for by providing personal and instinctive service. It was also nice to know you enjoyed delicious a delicious meal dining at View 32. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another rejuvenating stay.
Piedmont, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Wonderful property, nice staff , easy beach access and lovely pool = Delightful!
Everyone from the bell staff (everyone of them) to Patrick at View 32 couldn't have been more helpful. Great place for a family vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks you for sharing that you had a delightful stay at The Westin and that you enjoyed our fantastic pools and easy beach access. We appreciate your complimentary remarks on our staff as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing family vacation.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My two favorite hotels in HHI are The Westin and The Marriott. I preferred The Westin rooms , but I liked The Marriott's staff. My preferences have changed. The Westin's staff is outstanding. The valets greeted me walking through the doors. Harry, at the front desk asked me if I were a rewards member. I was but left my card at home, so he looked up my number to give me credit. I asked him where I could get some good food this late and he suggested Oceans or Carolina Cafe. He also pointed out the free water in my room.
I was going to eat at Oceans and I came across Michael from Cork. He was friendly and offered to get me a seat. It was humid, so decided to eat in the Cafe. The man who showed me to my table was very friendly, too. Leroy was my server and pointed out a lot of delicious items on the menu. I settled on the shrimp quesadilla, which was gooey with a subtle kick. Leroy suggested dessert, so I got the chocolate Savannah cake which was moist and creamy. Between dinner and dessert, Michael came by to see how I enjoyed my meal and to chat about my stay. Also, another server came by to see if I needed anything even though I wasn't"t his customer. I have stayed here a handful of times within the last 4 years, and this is by far the best I have been treated. Everyone acknowledged my presence and treated me as a valued guest, especially Harry, Michael and Leroy. The food was really good. I like the rooms because they get cool quickly and stay cool. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Join the rewards club
Green Features: I liked that they allowed me to choose my preferences.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for sharing that you had a Heavenly stay at The Westin as one of our valued repeat guests. Delighted that you found our staff to be outstanding, and we appreciate the comments on all the staff who ensured you received personal and instinctive service. We also appreciate your noting the food you experienced was really good and that you also enjoyed your guest room. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
Norwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at the Westin 7/26 - August 2nd, 2014. This resort has the most friendly staff on every level and are incredibly accommodating in every way! We had a slight mix up with our room upon check in but it was all resolved very quickly, and we were given a very nice room with a beautiful view and also received a bottle of champagne as I mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary! We also received complimentary breakfast vouchers due to the room mix up. The breakfast buffet was amazing and had everything on it! Many healthy options too! The rooms were clean and spacious and there are 3 pools and a hot tub. The beds were very comfortable and helped for a great nights sleep. The beach was beautiful and only a few steps from the resort. The housekeeping staff was also very friendly and did a great job cleaning the rooms. There are several restaurant options for food at this resort, and it was all good! Great pool side drinks too! All in all, this was a great vacation at a great location, and we will definitely return. I commend the staff at this resort! They made our stay wonderful!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing that you had an enjoyable anniversary/vacation at The Westin recently. I was delighted to know our staff surprised you with complimentary champagne for your anniversary celebration. We are also glad you enjoyed a nice guest room with beautiful view as well as our comfortable, signature Heavenly Bed. Thank you for sharing that our staff was friendly and accommodating as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We appreciate your comments that the restaurant options and poolside drinks were great. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
Cincinnati, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at Westin HHI from July 28 - August 2. Overall, a nice stay.

Positives:

1. Pool and beach are terrific. Clean and easy access and a great place to hang all day with the family. It 'feels' like a resort should feel.

2. The hotel food is NOT what you'd expect from hotel food - absolutely terrific meals! Whether we ate at Carolina Cafe, poolside at Splash, Oceans, or even room service, which we did one night, every meal we had was delicious. I travel a lot and typically find that hotel food is average at best. Not the case here at all.

3. Restaurant service is fantastic. If you want to get off the beach for a quick bite and back out onto the sand quickly, their service gets it done for you. If you want to linger a long time under the umbrellas, we never felt a rush to get out to seat others. I do want to specifically mention one server in particular who exceeded our expectations the 3 times we happened to have her serve us: Her name is Lauren (don't know her last name), and she is from Belfast, Ireland (including this fact so the hotel can properly recognize her for her work). Lauren was exceptional at providing us quick meals when we needed them; offered excellent advice on the menu to meet our varying needs (all boys, oldest 21, youngest 13) which was very helpful; had an engaging personality to better understand us as a family, which resulted in her providing us great advice on a family excursion, and was just overall extremely pleasant. She is an excellent server.

Negative:

1. We arrived at 12:35 PM at the resort, and were told our room was not ready, which was understandable, since check-in time is 4 PM. I told the front desk we'd go eat lunch and do some errands and return. We returned at 2:15 - room still not ready. We ended up getting into our room at 3:58 PM. Again, I understand check in time is stated as 4 PM, but I was staying in a $493 per night suite, I am a Starwood Preferred Guest member, and I own a timeshare within the Westin network of hotels and resorts (I was not using my timeshare on the vacation - I was paying full price). I don't usually like to ask for special treatment, but when it's clear that housekeeping is cleaning rooms that cost $200 a night before they get to my $500/night suite, that's frustrating. Their aren't that many suites in the hotel - when suite guests arrived early, I don't think it's too much to ask for their room to be bumped to the head of the cleaning list because of the cost of the room. It's why airlines let First Class passengers board first - they paid more. To make matters worse, when we finally did get to our room, the next morning while making coffee the coffee maker had an old, used filter pak in it - not a huge deal, but also makes you wonder just how thoroughly they really cleaned the room.

2. Service within the hotel if you make any sort of phone call requesting anything at all is truly horrible. 2 examples: 1) on the night we decided to stay in and order room service, we could not find the menu. When I called, I was first told to look in several places in the room - nothing there. So they said they'd bring one up. 90 minutes (!!!!) later our menu arrived. I called 3 times to ask where our menu was, each time being told it's on it's way. Then, about 15 minutes after we got our menu, there was a knock on the door - someone brought up another menu! Clearly, their internal communications is lacking. Example 2) Another night we called and asked for 2 extra pillows. It took 2 hours (TWO HOURS!!) for them to bring us our pillows. I again had to call 3 times, and the last time I called the woman tried to make ME feel badly by putting me on hold and then picking up and telling me: "Sir, I just had to leave my post, go find a bellman, who was leaving the building, but agreed to bring you your pillows." Seriously? Absolutely no apologies for my wait at all for such a simple request. I was stunned.

3. Lifeguards on the beach (who I believe contract with the Westin) - every night at 5 they come and put away all the rental chairs and umbrellas. We rented 3 chairs and an umbrella for our stay. When the time comes for them to be put away, the lifeguards, pretty much every day (and they were different each day) had a major attitude about having to clean up. Instead of a friendly "we're sorry, but it's 5 PM and we need to put away your chairs and umbrella" they literally waved us out of our chairs like a mother would wave a child off a nice couch he or she wasn't allowed to sit on.My boys and I found this rude.

So, in short, despite the late room check in, and the incredibly long wait times for simple in-hotel requests for menus and pillows, and less than friendly life guards, our trip was still a good trip We enjoyed our pool and beach time, and loved our meals - we didn't allow the negative stuff to get in the way of a great time. And again, Lauren was a joy to interact with and a true professional in her job. If you go this resort and eat in, ask for Lauren from Belfast!

Tom Millikin
Cincinnati, OH

Green Features: They give you a $5 off coupon for use in the resort if you opt to not have housekeeping clean your room one night.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mr. Millikin,
Thank you for sharing the numerous positive comments, as one of our valued SPG members and timeshare owners, on your recent stay at The Westin. We are delighted you enjoyed our pool and beach areas as well as our restaurants and in-room dining experiences. We especially appreciate your complimentary remarks on Lauren providing personal and instinctive service. Our resort is a very popular destination in the summer season, and we cannot always provide an early check-in based on room type and availability. We do encourage early arrivals to take advantange of our pools/beach/restaurants to start enjoying our resort. I was glad to know that you were checked in just prior to our standard check-in time. The Town of Hilton Head Island contracts with a local vendor to provide beach rentals and services for all of Hilton Head Island's beaches, and we are not permitted to provide this service on the beach. However, we do have umbrellla and chair rentals available at our resort for those guests who wish to take these items to the beach. We are sorry you did not experience friendly and professional service from the beach vendor, and we will share your constructive comments with them. We are very sorry for the inconsistencies and delays you experienced with room deliveries which is not up to our usual high standards, and please know we are investigating further so these types of incidents do not reoccur. I was glad to know that overall you did have a great time, and we hope you will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Westin the week of July 27-1. Nice hotel. Rooms a bit on small side but outdoor pool areas make up for it. 3 pools and a hot tub gives you lots of options. Need more waiters around pool area. You put an order in for lunch and a drink and it takes awhile. Forget about a refill. Overall good experience and would stay here again

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay at The Westin. Delighted to know that you enjoyed our beautiful outside courtyard and pool areas. Please accept our apology for delays in poolside food & beverage service which is not up to our usual standards of ensuring all guests are well cared for. I was glad to know that overall you had a good experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for another rejuvenating stay.