“Good place to stay...minor issues”

Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersGold level
Concord, North Carolina
“Good place to stay...minor issues”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We arrived at approximately 1pm hoping for an early check-in...and as luck would have it, we were able to check into our room. Below is my rating of certain areas of the hotel and grounds:
1) Reception was good with an easy check-in process.
2) Rooms were large, clean and quiet. We did not have much of a view (overlooking a side street) however we did not pay the extra charge for a 'view'.
3) Parking at the hotel was NOT one of their strong points. VERY difficult to find a parking place...particularly near the actual hotel. There were spots in the overflow lot which is a bit of a walk.
4) The pool was clean and nice. On more than one occasion I saw maintenance people clean and shining different areas of the grounds.
5) The bar at the pool was satisfactory but nothing beyond that. (guess what matters is the drinks were cold...albeit expensive)
6) The elevators in the lobby are useless. If you have (exaggerating) 10 minutes to wait on the elevators...then by all means take them. I do a fare bit of traveling and I can honestly say these were the slowest elevators I have EVER seen! (minor thing...but very annoying)
7) The Wi-Fi was very slow and unreliable. We were continually being 'bumped off' and had to reconnect. (once again...annoying)
8) Overall the hotel had a very relaxing atmosphere.
9) The bike rental (we rode on the beach) was nice. The cost is $10/bike for 1-hour.
10) The concierge service was probably one of the areas that I think the hotel should really upgrade. Without trying to sound too mean...it was useless. No matter which person (at various times) we asked for help with finding places (mainly resturants) we always got the same 'uh...well, uh...I am not sure' type answer. We were given resturant names to try that were not in the area the individuals told us to go to. I would avoid the cooncierge service and (like we ended up doing) explore places based on trip-advisor!
11) The beach is only about a 5 minute walk and is very nice! (very sandy.. with hardly any sea-shells)

Overall, the Sonesta was nice. We enjoyed the hotel and would probably visit there again. I rated it a 4 only because there was not a 3.5 rating available. There is plenty to do if you so desire and if relaxation is what you want...this will be a nice place for you as well!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank J P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Korean first
Columbia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

As an event planner for a statewide association, it was an honor and joy to work with such an efficient hotel and great hotel staff. All needs were handled in a professional manner. Love the staff smiles.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank B-Redd
Washington, DC
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The pools are great, the proximity to the beach is great. Service from reception and from the rest of the staff was bad.

I had an issue with parking that really soured my trip: the lot was full, so I go inside and tell reception. He tells me that the parking attendant will help me. The parking attendant, his mind elsewhere, just points to a general area and says to park by the bush. I do and go to my room to sleep since we arrived fairly late. About 30 minutes later I get a call telling I have to move my car. I go down in my PJs and a new parking attendant is rudely telling me that I parked illegally despite their being no sign and despite the fact that the previous attendant supervised my original park job. I move my car about 10 yards and start to head back to my room. During this walk the attendant tells me about 10 times that he did me a huge favor getting me to move until I have to ask him to stop badgering me.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank TheMfchief
SonestaHiltonHead, Manager at Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We wanted to sincerely apologize for this incident and upon your posting, have immediately followed up with the appropriate department. We have taken this feedback very seriously. As you can see from previous comments, the level of service that is given to our guest’s is what is recognized and constantly mentioned. We sincerely apologize that we failed to meet your standard and would like a chance to rectify the situation as soon as possible. Thank you again for your feedback; we hope to further improve as best we can to avoid this happening again.
Hilton Head
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed one night going from Savannah to Charleston. Marissa at the front desk was great. We casually mentioned we were on our honeymoon when checking in. That night we dined elegantly and when we returned to the room, there was a chilled bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries! Very good stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Thank you so much for choosing the Sonesta Hilton Head Island to celebrate such an incredible occasion! We are so happy you both thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that our Front Desk intern, Marissa was able to enhance your celebrations further. She is a fantastic asset to our resort and we are pleased to read she was able to surprise you and your husband! Thank you again for this review and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Based on a very positive experience last August, my wife and I made a return trip to the Sonesta, and there was no disappointment.

This place is great in every respect. While we were there the staff was also handling a large wedding and two conferences. Even with all of that and a full hotel, we were never felt "crowded."

The staff was unfailingly polite, from the morning coffee bar to the poolside grill attendants, to the bell staff and front desk. And it seems genuine, not forced.

You see the other reviews, most heap praise on this place. Our experience with two stays within a year would agree with those reviews.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lordnelson1805
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an excellent five star review regarding your return trip back to our resort. We are very pleased you chose us again as your vacation destination, and that the service you received throughout our resort was nothing short of professional and sincere. Thank you for recognizing that true genuineness and we hope to welcome you back again and again!
Pelham, New York
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I didn't know what to expect from this brand, but we were very satisfied. The pool was beautiful and sunny and warm! The staff was friendly and accomodating. The proximity to the beach was also great. Food was above average, nothing earth shattering. Overall I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Sanjay N
Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic five star review regarding your family’s stay with us. We are very pleased that The Sonesta Hilton Head Resort was able to exceed your expectations in every way possible. Thank you for recognizing our team of friendly and professional staff here at this resort. We want all of our guest’s to feel accommodated and comfortable throughout their entire stay. Thank you again for this review and future recommendations! We hope to welcome you back soon.
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The Sonesta Resort at Hilton Head was a very nice find for us and we will be going back to this resort for our next Hilton Head trip. We've not vacationed much to Hilton Head since this area's hotels are so dated so it's really encouraging to have a contemporary option in Sonesta that offers a more modernized aesthetic.

The interior hotel design, especially the lobby area was the Sonesta Hilton Head's strongest point with a nice coffee car in the lobby and lounge seating. We used this daily in the mornings for slow wake ups.

The Heyward's restaurant was good but not great. The best options included several salads and fish tacos but the steak was way overpriced at $33 and a disappointment for quality reasons. The breakfast buffett was "regular breakfast" with made-to-order omelets and a decent spread of options. Service at Heyward's was spotty with some of the staff seeming disinterested in their jobs.

The beach was very nice but get out early to reserve a beach chair setup that's away from the crowds. The grounds had a nice lake with dozens of turtles that the kids loved. The pool area was adequate but on Memorial Day weekend was jam-packed so we could get in most days.

The spa experience I had was very poor. The spa is just a carve out of several hotel rooms made into a spa area. My massage therapist asked for feedback on my deep tissue pressure but didn't modify her approach when I told her it wasn't enough pressure. She was going through the motions. This sometimes occurs when 20% tips are automatically included in the service price. I would not recommend this spa to any true spa connoisseur.

So net/net, we'll be going back to Sonesta given to relative options in Hilton Head although we prefer to Gulf Coast 30-A beaches between Rosemary Beach and Watercolor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post and share your review about your recent stay with us in May. We sincerely apologize that some of our departments were not able to meet your expectations. Being a Four Diamond resort, the delivery and execution of our service should be incomparable. We apologize again for failing to succeed. We want to ensure all of our guests are well taken care of throughout their entire vacation. We followed up with the appropriate departments upon your posting and sincerely thank you again for your review. We hope we have a chance to welcome you back soon so that the appropriate standards can be met.