We arrived at approximately 1pm hoping for an early check-in...and as luck would have it, we were able to check into our room. Below is my rating of certain areas of the hotel and grounds:
1) Reception was good with an easy check-in process.
2) Rooms were large, clean and quiet. We did not have much of a view (overlooking a side street) however we did not pay the extra charge for a 'view'.
3) Parking at the hotel was NOT one of their strong points. VERY difficult to find a parking place...particularly near the actual hotel. There were spots in the overflow lot which is a bit of a walk.
4) The pool was clean and nice. On more than one occasion I saw maintenance people clean and shining different areas of the grounds.
5) The bar at the pool was satisfactory but nothing beyond that. (guess what matters is the drinks were cold...albeit expensive)
6) The elevators in the lobby are useless. If you have (exaggerating) 10 minutes to wait on the elevators...then by all means take them. I do a fare bit of traveling and I can honestly say these were the slowest elevators I have EVER seen! (minor thing...but very annoying)
7) The Wi-Fi was very slow and unreliable. We were continually being 'bumped off' and had to reconnect. (once again...annoying)
8) Overall the hotel had a very relaxing atmosphere.
9) The bike rental (we rode on the beach) was nice. The cost is $10/bike for 1-hour.
10) The concierge service was probably one of the areas that I think the hotel should really upgrade. Without trying to sound too mean...it was useless. No matter which person (at various times) we asked for help with finding places (mainly resturants) we always got the same 'uh...well, uh...I am not sure' type answer. We were given resturant names to try that were not in the area the individuals told us to go to. I would avoid the cooncierge service and (like we ended up doing) explore places based on trip-advisor!
11) The beach is only about a 5 minute walk and is very nice! (very sandy.. with hardly any sea-shells)
Overall, the Sonesta was nice. We enjoyed the hotel and would probably visit there again. I rated it a 4 only because there was not a 3.5 rating available. There is plenty to do if you so desire and if relaxation is what you want...this will be a nice place for you as well!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island is the perfect getaway for families and couples, destination weddings, and is the place to meet for groups of all sizes. Located within Shipyard Plantation, the Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island is adjacent to Van Der Meer Tennis and Shipyard Golf. Our hotel is only 35 miles from Beaufort, S.C., 45 Miles from Savannah and 100 miles from historic Charleston. Hilton Head Island and the Lowcountry is also home to the RBC Heritage Golf Tournament Presented by Boeing. We are one of the closest, upscale Hilton Head Resorts to island shopping and restaurants. The Sonesta Resort features 331 guest rooms and 9 luxurious suites. All rooms feature private balconies or patios, many with spectacular views of our lush tropical gardens and the horizon of the Atlantic Ocean. Hotel amenities include Arum Spa, an extensive fitness center, outdoor and shaded pool, child's water feature, 24 hour business center, Pearls Market and Just Us Kids(seasonal). Enjoy our breakfast in Heyward's Restaurant, or have lunch at our poolside bar, Sweet Cane (seasonal). Friday evenings, Heyward's features a bountiful seafood buffet (seasonal) which is a local favorite. Seacrest offers lunch options and small plates. Bayley's Lounge offers daily happy hour specials. For the ultimate vacation experience or the premiere meeting spot, the Sonesta Resort is the place to be on Hilton Head Island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Hilton Head Island Beach Hotel Hilton Head
- Hilton Head Crowne Plaza