“DIRTY”

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Hilton Head
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“DIRTY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed at the Ramada on July 26th and I was completely disappointed. I booked through Hotel Planner. When we arrived we noticed the pool that we were so looking forward to using was disgustingly green. When we arrived at our room it had a terrible odor. which i had to go immediately out and buy a sanitizer and a scented candle. The ceiling was peeling and falling down in sections and there was mold throughout the room. The shower had such hard calcium bulidup that I had refused my family to take a shower and to spongebath themselves as i was afraid of the foot fungus that they would have gotten from the tub. The shower curtain needed changing as there was mold on this. In the shower there was a mold buildup in the corners on the ceiling. I have to say for this being a RAMADA, I am completely disappointed. I paid 209.99 for a room that was completely disgusting and unsatisfactory. Please be aware of this place as I would not bring a family here. People were hanging outside my room on the balcony smoking and it was very intimidating to leave my belongings int he room as we had left. I didnt feel very safe here. :(

1 Thank Jammie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We found this hotel at the last minute and were able to secure a "suite" which was perfect for our family of four. One room had two queen beds and the connecting room (separated by hinged, not locking, French glassed doors) had one queen bed. The rooms each had flat screen TV's and Wi-Fi. One can tell by the design that this is an older hotel which appears to be in the process of updating. We too found the bathroom door would not close all the way which appeared to be from warping over time. The carpet was worn in a few places and the stove top in the kitchen is not to be utilized as the burners were pulled out of place and just resting on the top of the stove and there were not pots, pans or silverware. There were only two plates. There was a toaster oven, frig, microwave and coffee pot which was a plus. The night we stayed, there was a group of teens which took up three rooms; two being above us and one being below us. They were out of control! They had been out drinking and upon their return at 2:30 a.m. they were outside drinking, smoking and yelling back and forth to each other from the outside of their rooms to the mini putt putt course. After listening to this for about an hour, I called the front desk. The woman who was on duty IMMEDIATELY came out and took care of the problem. She was very professional and basically told them people were trying to sleep and they needed to go into their rooms OR speak in quiet voices. She also told them if this did not happen, she would be calling the police. Problem solved! We all ate the breakfast in the morning which was very good...plenty of food all the way until the end which was when we arrived..about 15 minutes before the buffet would be shut down. The woman I spoke to who took care of the issue during the night was still at the front desk when we went down to breakfast and she apologized for the interruption in our sleep and thanked me for reporting it immediately so she could diffuse the situation. Now, I would have given this a higher rating, but the rooms are still a bit dated, but I feel the price they charge (compared to other hotels in the area) is reasonable and takes into consideration the current condition of the hotel. I do not think you can find ANY hotel in Hilton Head that offers SUITES for under $200.00 per night, which is what this Ramada offers. If you want to stay in an upper end hotel, you have to pay the price. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff was truly concerned about providing us with great customer service. It is what it is....an average hotel priced accordingly.....a fair price for the accommodations. Please also keep In mind....this hotel is not within walking distance to the beach, but rather about a 10 minute drive. There is an Applebees located next door as well as several other restaurants and drug stores, etc. within walking distance. This hotel is located BEFORE the bridge over to "the island". If you want to be located within walking distance to the beach this is not the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Suites are VERY spacious. Plenty of room for a family of four. No elevators....walk up only, so ch...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Arcola, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel was nasty. We arrived in the middle of the night, waited 20 minutes to get let in (to check in). This was after calling them and ringing the buzzer repeatedly. Got our key card in the envelope wasn't even my name on it. Got to our room and it had an AWFUL smell. After looking around in there we had mold on the walls, spider webs and dead bugs, a leaky faucet, noisy air conditioner, the furniture was all chipped and so was the mirror. Definitely not worth $99 for the first night and $179 for the second night. We didn't even unpack our bags, we called around and found another hotel. I called customer service to complain on Friday, was told someone would contact me immediately. It is now Tuesday and I still haven't heard from them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Coeburn, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

we had a last minute booking and it was the only room we could find on the island this weekend. booking online through hotelplanner.com was a mistake because they were charging $40 more per night than the hotel was charging. however after I called them they did refund the difference. also, they said the hotel was a mile from the beach and it really was almost a 10 minute drive, so don't expect a stroll to the beach. the room(137)was very clean but needed some work. our bathroom door didn't shut all the way and if you tried to force it you were at risk of being trapped in there. the mirror and the faucets had lost some of their finish and the furniture was showing some wear. the room key stopped working our last day, so that was a problem. it was 100 degrees this weekend and the pool was not able to be used. so our family had to go back and forth to the beach so that was a problem. unless there is a massive redo, there is no way I would stay there again. the only upside to this place is that the staff is pleasant and efficient, the putting green is nice and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
MinaBhakta, Manager at Ramada Hilton Head, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review. We are sorry for the inconvenience and would like to thank you for taking time to write in details . We are renovating this hotel and it will take few months for the upgrade considering the number of rooms. We are glad that you did enjoy the breakfast. We hope you give us another chance next time you are in this area. Thanks again.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was visiting a friend and his family for a few days, and needed a cheap place to sleep at night, and this place did the trick.

The good- The price- got a good deal on priceline. Parking is easy. The place is right off 278 which makes it convenient, and places close by to eat. Front desk staff is friendly, and the place seems pretty safe. our room was clean as well.

The not good- Our key stopped working half way through our trip, which was an inconvenience when you have a hand full of shopping bags in your hand and have to walk all the way around to get your key reactivated. I had a tough time staying connected to their wifi, which Im not even sure was theirs. Although the room appeared clean, it had a very strong musty smell that I could not get rid of. The worst part- Going to get breakfast and they were completely out of all the hot food items. No eggs, no sausage, no biscuits, while the breakfast attendant hid around the corner in her little room and would only peak her head out when someone requested the coffee be refilled. Was not a good start to my morning.

Overall I had a decent stay. The price was right. I just recommend going to breakfast as soon as it opens or be prepared to be hungry.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. As a seasoned TripAdvisor reviewer we certainly take a great deal of interest in your review. I am pleased that overall you had a good visit to the hotel. We have noted that we need to have more help in the breakfast room and have added a helper during busy days . We would love to see you again
Trafalgar, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My room had black mold, holes in the walls, peeling paint, and old furniture. The only reason we stayed is there was nothing else available with it being a holiday weekend. The room key had to be reprogrammed daily. The only plus is this hotel served a decent breakfast with many options.

2 Thank mistydthomp
I am terribly sorry there were some issues during your visit to our hotel. I am sure you were terribly uncomfortable with the room condition. I will be reaching out to you via traditional channels to see if we can make this right for you! We will be completely renovating this place in few months and have already started the work . Thank you for writing a review.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Save yourself the headache and spend your hard earned money elsewhere!!! We made a reservation for a suite and called two days prior to our arrival to double check our online reservation availability, and were told yes our suite will be available. We arrived July 4 and there was pure chaos in the lobby. Many other customer's had issues as
well with their room/reservation. Six of us
stuffed in a room with 2 queenbeds.
The manager Mina is a crook, please do not waste your time booking here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lesa l
MinaBhakta, Manager at Ramada Hilton Head, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
We are converting this hotel to Ramada . It used to be Quality Inn .I had explained to you that I do not have access to the reservations that were made through Quality Inn system and when there is a busy weekend like 4th of July weekend, there were some guests who had made reservations long time ago and were never informed about the change of the brand and when they arrived at the hotel We tried to accommodate everyone and we did give you one complimentary room next day when we had availability. I am terribly sorry for all the inconvenience.