“L-o-v-e!”

Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Williamstown, New Jersey
“L-o-v-e!”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We've been coming here for many years, sometimes just my husband and son, and often extended family. We always have a great time. Beautiful resort, lots of activities for families, and the staff is exceptional. The rooms are clean and spacious. It is truly the only vacation where we unwind and relax. This is our home away from home!

4 Thank Michelle D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Hershey, PA
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This was our first stay at this resort and our first visit to Hilton Head Island. We've stayed at DVC resorts at Disney World and there was a definitely DVC feel here. Not as much Mickey stuff as Disney World, but enough to make you feel like you're at a Disney property.

Check-in was a breeze; the front desk staff was helpful and answered all of our questions. We loved the theme of a fishing camp. We had a studio and thought it was laid out nicely. We had no problems with the wi-fi in the room - it worked perfectly! The bed and the sofa bed were both comfortable. And I LOVED sitting on the balcony drinking coffee in the morning with a wonderful view of the marshes - it was so pretty.

We also enjoyed walking around the property - it is beautifully landscaped and there is so much to do. The pools were fun and we loved the campfire at dusk. Although we didn't bring the kids, the kids at the campfire obviously loved the camp counselors putting it on - they acted like old friends. I felt transported back to summer camp years ago!

The Beach House is beautiful as well and we enjoyed that pool too. There is a lack of food options available at the resort, but with kitchens in each room, you didn't need to eat out for every meal.

Overall, this resort was beautiful and we had an awesome time. Can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank va2pa2001
On The Road
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We had visited this resort for an overnight in each direction for our most recent WDW trip - but this was our first full week stay to really experience the resort and what all it has to offer.
We stayed in a 3BR Grand Villa. The property only has a few 3BR units, and they are ALL located on the 2nd and 3rd floor of the buildings. So since we were there for a family trip we had planned to cook all of our meals in our villa - that meant lugging 7 days worth of luggage, food, and supplies up two flights of steps in 90+ degree heat in extreme humidity - it was miserable! BUT, it had to be done!
First I have to say this - the staff at this resort is absolutely spectacular - they are always friendly, always willing to stop and talk, and MORE than willing to help you out in any way they can.
From the shuttle bus drivers, to the mousekeepers, to the lifeguards, and children's programming staff - Disney only hires the best!

We were there the week of July 4th so the resort was absolutely sold out 100% - BUT it never felt too crowded, it was not at all cramped, and the staff assured there was enough activity at the resort to keep 'kids' of all ages busy!

The resort is absolutely beautiful - while the Harborside resort across the marina is beautiful in its own way - Disney went the extra mile to make their resort blend in to its surroundings and feel like it has been there forever.
From the absolutely beautiful old growth trees, to the pier, and the pool - the resort couldn't be more perfect!

I have read a few of the other reviews and wanted to clear something up.

If you are a guest at the resort paying cash/credit etc - and NOT a Disney Vacation Club Member - you WILL receive housekeeping every day during your stay. Housekeeping every 4th day is for DVC members.
Another thing - if your family is the type that you wake up, eat breakfast, go to the beach, and don't come back till dinner - this resort may not be your best choice. The resort is geared more for families with kids of varying ages who will take advantage of the different scheduled activities and such around the resort. It isn't just a hotel - so YES, some of the reviews are correct - it is an expensive resort, not a mid-priced hotel. If you are a WDW visitor, the accommodations at this resort would fall under the 'Deluxe' category with one exception, and that would be that there isn't a sit-down restaurant on the premises. There are no less than 4 just across the way surrounding the marina - so it's not like you'll starve!
One of the restaurants has live entertainment each evening, it definitely had a crowd each evening!
There are hammocks, horseshoe pits, cornhole boards, fishing pole rentals, bike rentals, campfires, games by the pool, grills, nature 'hikes', a basketball court, and tons of other things to do.
Just to walk around the resort under the canopy of beautiful old growth live oak trees covered with spanish moss is just so beautiful.

The rooms are decorated to feel rustic, and they do a great job of making you feel like you are staying at Uncle Bob's hunting cabin - BUT they have all the comforts of home, including a jacuzzi tub in the master bath in 1BR units and larger.
B'Lou Crabbe is a legend - he is comical, entertaining, and extremely talented. From music to magic tricks, he just fits the property like a glove! It's great to find him on the front porch of the Live Oak Lodge with his companion Shadow - YES there is a real dog at the resort, shadow is real!
As with all Disney resorts you can purchase a refillable mug for around $15.00 and it is good for your length of stay with soda, water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc.
The charm of the resort comes in that is isn't a beach resort - it is on the interior of the island, on an island to itself. It is really fascinating to watch the tides comes and go as the day goes on. HHI is really subject to drastic tides - our kayak guide said that they can be as much as 9ft. Don't confuse 'tides' with 'waves' - the beach itself is very tame. When the tide is low you can watch from the pier as shore-birds search for 'fast food' - like crabs and snails and such. You can see the Great Blue Herons take flight, watch the crazy pelicans dive head first into the watch to catch their meal. It is a great way for kids to see all of that, and at a safe and tame distance.
The resort positions you very well on the island to take advantage of small boutique shopping, as well as a 20 minute drive from chain-outlet shopping.
There are tons of restaurants around the island, from Chinese to Indian, Seafood to Italian - you'll find something for everyone!
With so much to see and do, you'll be talking about your next trip before your current one is over.

As another review stated - the couches in the villas a far from comfortable. Whoever approved the purchase of those needs to be made to sit, and sleep on them in their home or a solid year. The cushions are constantly sliding forward, the couch all but pushes you off. They are an odd size, not quite as large as a couch, but not quite as small as a loveseat. In a grand villa that is meant for 12, we pulled a rocking chair in from the balcony just to be able to have enough seating in the living room for everyone even though there were only 6 of us! In a villa that houses 12, there is only table seating for 8. So while there are a few things that just make you want to scratch your head with a hmmmmm - they are relatively minor things.

The AC worked extremely well - we kept our villa at a chilly 68 degrees throughout the day to have refuge from the heat and humidity outside practically from sun up, to sun down.

We took a dolphin cruise that took us all the way out to the Calibogue Sound. We didn't see too many dolphins, but the trip was enjoyable and departed from the marina right in front of the resort.

Our villa was located in one of the last buildings which proved to be quite a distance from the shuttle to the beach house, it was close to the pool and to the counter service restaurant, gift shop, and pier.

The beach was amazing! Due to the very high, and very low tides - the beach can be anywhere from 10ft to 100 yards or more. If you arrive in the morning during high tide and set up 'camp' for the day just away from from the waves, you will find yourself a good distance away from the water by the time the tides go out. It is quite dramatic!

The beach house is wonderful and newly refurbished - even since our last stay in December. There is a ground/sand level entrance to the left to the beach and a boardwalk entrance to the right. There is a bar, quick service restaurant, arcade, and an indoor space to read or just hang out - there is a TV and fireplace as well as some history of the federal service that evolved into the US Coast Guard. There are also some maritime artifacts as well as some model ships AND a display model of Disney Cruise Line's new ship, the Disney Dream - as well as some Disney Cruise Line brochures HAHA If you've ever thought about taking a Disney cruise, PLEASE contact me! I'd love to provide you with more info - they are fantastic!

The pool at the beach house is much cooler (temperature wise) than the pool at the resort. I think they actually cool that pool - it is in direct sunlight, so I don't know how else they would keep that pool a little cooler.

The pool is in the shape of an H with a volleyball net in the middle area. There always seemed to be a friendly game going and anyone was welcome to join.

Once again, even at the pool house, Disney hospitality was abundant! Everyone was friendly and always greeting and asking if you were enjoying your day. There are also ping pong and pool tables at the Beach House as well. Parking at the beach house CAN be a challenge - BUT with the shuttle service as quick and easy as they have made it, leave the car at the resort!

You can walk to the Pirate's Island Mini Golf, while it isn't a 'direct' path - it is easy enough to get there.

We are DVC members and finally purchased ownership here to be able to book at the 11 month mark - and WOW are we really glad we bought DVC points to call this resort home. It is magical! While it isn't a trip to WDW or Disneyland - it is something totally different and so enjoyable. We are so excited to enjoy this resort for years and years to come. We were there the week of July 4th and the resort never felt crowded or too busy or 'at capacity'. The pool slide at the resort pool was a blast - you will find guests of all ages hopping in at the top and shooting out the other end. It isn't a scary slide, it is a lot of fun!

Also, the lifeguards are fantastic - and managment makes sure they are always on top of their game by testing them at random time. We witnessed one surprise test and by the time the test was complete, most people hadn't even known what was going on. They toss a dummy flotation strip in to the pool - and within seconds, the lifeguard was IN the water and OUT of the water with the strip. I'm sure the lifeguards HATE diving in for tests, but it is great to know that management keeps them on their toes.

Well, I have rambled on for quite some time, so I'll draw this review to a close by saying one last thing.

Disney does what Disney does best, and that's hospitality. You will feel so welcomed and part of the 'family' that you really don't want to leave! It is unlike any beach vacation you have ever taken!

Room Tip: Ask for either a pool view, or a marsh view!
23 Thank admit_it
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Our family (mom, dad, sons 12 and 4 yrs.) checked in for a 1 week stay and had a room on the 1st floor of the Live Oak Lodge (we were VERY close to where check-in is located). I know that some reviews have been mixed, but for our family, this resort was a PERFECT place to stay for a beach vacation. Here's why:
--As many have said, this hotel is themed to be a fishing lodge. My oldest son LOVES to fish, so that was one of the reasons we chose to go here - if you are not into a Disney Wilderness Lodge-type feel, you may not like it. I think the dim lighting even goes with the theme intentionally, and it helped our 4 yr. old take a nap and sleep at night, so it was a positive for us! It all depends on what you're looking for.
--Our 12 year old was given some much-needed autonomy in the resort, in that we could allow him to roam the resort freely (from our room in the Live Oak Lodge to the pool, the fishing pier, etc.) and we never worried about his safety. He loved the freedom, and would take his refillable mug, fishing pole, tackle box, and just go off on his bike to his heart's content. Wonderful! The resort is gated, has lit paths at night, and lends itself to exploring on foot and bike.
-- One thing that is not mentioned on this site enough about this resort is the VALUE a family gets thanks to the activities offered here. The cost per night may be expensive (according to some), but we felt overall we made out on the deal cost-wise because there are so many things for kids and adults to do for free or a minimal cost right on this property. If we had to seek out comparable activities and pay for them in and around Hilton Head, it would've been a fortune, and I can't imagine the kids would've had as much fun. My sons made tee shirts, had a scavenger hunt, took nature walks, played Goofy bingo, and MUCH more. The charge (when there even was one) was so minimal, it was obviously just to cover the cost of supplies. I was SHOCKED, in fact, that Disney did NOT jack up the price for activites. Even the food at the resort was reasonably priced! Maybe I'm jaded from WDW, but it took me all week to get over the fact that the breakfast and lunch options were priced at a level comparable to any take-out place you'd go anywhere on HHI. In fact, I was so certain the gift shop had overpriced souvenirs that I went to a General Store in Palmetto Dunes to compare. Disney's HHI tee shirts (on sale for 19.99) were LESS than the tacky ones you see at beach shops! I hightailed it back to the Disney Mercantile and bought gifts with no guilt.
--My husband and I really loved the Beach House, located 1 mile from the resort. Very classy and tasteful. You'd barely know it was Disney, as the Mickey touches are VERY subtle (this goes for the resort as a whole, actually). Also, if you take a moment to read about the hotel, you'll know beforehand that the beach is a mile away, so we were not surprised. Beach House parking spots filled quickly, so we had to either go in the AM, take the shuttle, or go a little later in the day. Many complain about the distance between the two, but having two locations means that guests are spread amongst two different places - which means this resort NEVER feels crowded, even when it's booked solid.
Cons: Our studio room, when all four of us were in it, felt small. The kitchenette space was less than I anticipated, and because I (over)packed food and drinks, these items clogged the entryway. Also, in our room (which was handicapped accessible, even though we didn't request it), there was almost NO closet or drawer space, which was annoying. There are free washers/dryers, though, and although I hate spending my vacation doing laundry, I should've packed fewer clothes and just washed them during the week. Internet was slow, too, but not as bad as other complained about. I accessed the internet only through my Kindle Fire, and honestly it was just fine. Maybe I would feel differently with a laptop, though. Because of these few cons, I can't give this resort 5 full stars, but I wish I could give it 4 1/2. I didn't mention the castmembers because so many other reviews have, but they were AMAZING. They all exemplify the Disney spirit that seems frequently to be lacking at the theme parks. Castmemembers learned my kids names by heart, and I had 2 different instances where they created magic for my 4 year old when he was about to have a crying fit. They truly want the kids and adults at the resort to have a magical stay, and we certainly did!! We will be back next year!!

5 Thank PghMom315
pittsburgh
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This is our home resort through disney vacation club. The check in was great, the grounds are pretty. The staff could not have been nicer.
You feel like you are in a cabin in the woods. The place is so dark, the kitchen is ill equipped the couch is so uncomfortable I think the place needs a complete overhaul and the parking is a problem at the beach house and at the resort. The wireless also never worked at least we did not have to pay for it.
We will not be back.

1 Thank mallocup
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Firstly: This was my first time at any resort (i.e., non-hotel) property. This review is primarily for those who have never stayed at "resort"-type property before. My family stayed here for three nights in mid-June 2012.

Pros:
-- Service was nearly impeccable, other than our initial registration, which took almost an hour due to technical problems with Disney's computer systems. (Strangely, other patrons were checking in left and right with no problems - only we were affected.) They were deeply apologetic. (See more on this in "Cons", below.) Staff everywhere on the grounds were friendly, polite, and articulate. Hannah, a front-desk staff worker from Great Britain, was particularly kind.
-- Our room (1219) was outstandingly clean, and for a studio, adequately large for our family of three.
-- There was a Pack-and-Play for our infant in our room, complete was clean sheets.

Cons:
-- Check-in took nearly a full hour. My baby son had blown out his diaper while we were waiting, and neither of their gents/ladies lobby bathrooms had changing tables. We had to change him on the picnic table in the sand/grass area across the street, where we and our baby were attacked by fire ants. For a family-friendly resort to not have changing tables in their welcoming area for guests is baffling, and is a major oversight.
-- Housekeeping occurs only once every four days, unless you want to pay an extra fee for daily cleaning. This was not disclosed anywhere on their website.
-- Wireless internet was a separate (exorbitant) charge, and DID NOT work well. After many complaints, our charges were reversed, and it was recommended that we bring PCs instead of Macs next time. Sorry...but I'm not going to go purchase a different computer just to come to Disney Hilton Head.
-- Other than the (fake) shrubbery trimmed to resemble Mickey and Thumper at the entrance, there's nothing Disney about this resort. There was nothing unique about it; in fact, it could have been any other resort/hotel chain, and I wouldn't have noticed. The marketing materials on their website leads you to believe otherwise.
-- The Big Dipper Pool was always overpopulated and out of control. There were kids standing on the edge peeing into the pool, and although lifeguard staff was aplenty, they did not do anything about it. Understandably, their duties do not include babysitting. However, I have to mention this because this was the pool atmosphere each of the seven times we went there. (The pool at the Beach House was a little calmer; there is no lifeguard at this pool, however.)
-- There is NO full-service restaurant on the grounds. You either need to walk across the bridge to the very touristy and overpriced restaurants along the cove, or take a car to explore the island. They have a snack bar by the pool (also by the Beach House pool), but expect to pay through the nose for basic food items such as hot dogs.
-- The mattress in our room was saggy and old. For the price we paid to stay here, it was simply ridiculous.

Overall, I got the impression that Disney Resort Hilton Head primarily functions as a satellite recruitment facility for Disney to persuade gullible families into signing up for Disney Vacation Club (DVC) -- a sort of time-share vacation club, or something. At any rate, being DVC members exempt you from all these fees, such as housecleaning, internet, etc. Everytime we turned on the TV in our room, no matter where we left it last, it would repeatedly chime obnoxious propaganda for DVC.

For the price we paid, there are far better values on Hilton Head. Also, please be wary of what you see on their website when considering making reservations here: what you see is a gross over-exaggeration of you will get.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank hawh123
Blythewood, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We went for a few days right at Christmas, and had a blast. The weather was mild, and the staff was great. It was the third time we had been, and the staff remembered my kids. Also, they had Santa on site, and he asked what they wanted for Christmas. The next morning, Dec 25th, the staff knocked on our door, saying Santa had dropped by. They had the presents my kids had asked for. We had not coordinated with them beforehand, and the gifts were free. We will definitely be going back again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family