“Go to Experience a Great Program”
Review of Hilton Head Health

Hilton Head Health
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My HHH experience was awesome, and I will definitely go back again for a "refresher". Well worth the money IF you are ready to commit to a lifestyle change. Many people who come to HHH definitely need to lose a lot of weight, but it is a program that can be beneficial for everyone and anyone as it is about embracing a healthy lifestyle. If you are not truly ready to commit to that, then you may be wasting your money. There were some folks in this latter category when I was there and it really was a shame. For me, it was a way to get myself back on track and re-motivated (I had already lost a lot of weight before I arrived but had been at a plateau for almost a year). It is now a month since I got home and I have been living the lifestyle and working out at the gym almost every day - and loving it - something I would have never thought possible! HHH offers so many different types of fitness options that you should be able to find some type of exercise that you will really enjoy. I decided to try just about everything they offered at least once and as a result I discovered new things that I now love to do (yoga! zumba! cardio boxing!). I have continued to lose weight and look and feel better. Staff are very committed and professional. Food was excellent especially considering you are eating restricted calories (although breakfast options could be expanded!) Overall, HHH was a fantastic experience! BONUS: The sunrise beach walks are spectacular, the spanish moss that hangs from all the trees is gorgeous, and where else can you watch an alligator sunning itself while taking a yoga class!

Room Tip: Our 3 bedroom unit was ok, but certainly not luxurious, which one might expect for the price. Also...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank loooovetravellin
There are newer reviews for Hilton Head Health

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Hilton Head Health was the perfect getaway for me. Just what I needed- time to focus on my health in a peaceful setting, sourrounded by terrific supportive people. It was quiet, being early December, but that suited me just fine. Two weeks was a good amount of time to put towards my fitness/weightloss jump start. The food (1200 calorie diet) was overall quite good. I really wasn't hungry. A variety of fitness options were available all day long. You go at your own pace. I loved the yoga classes in particular. There was nothing I didn't like about this place. I felt really comfortable going alone as many other guests had come alone as well. ANd I made some great people. The only down side is that it is expensive, otherwise I would become a regular.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank moose1236
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Don't go to lose weight (although it is very focused on people with weight problems, including me), go to feel better, physically and mentally. The staff was amazing, and the fellow guests were supportive and made the experience wonderful. I wasn't keen on going to the seminars at first, but many are truly outstanding (esp. the metabolism class and the motivation class). I tried almost every activity available, and surprised myself. By Tuesday I had frequent moments of thinking "wow am I proud of myself." I hate exercise, but realized that much of it is that I don't push myself when alone, and am self-conscious about my appearance and lack of ability when in public. Combined, it is a formula for sitting and wishing. I returned home just two days ago, and I now know how much better I feel with regular activity . . . feeling good is an incredible motivator.

I stayed in the Cottages (one of the condo developments near the main lodge), and it was definitely dated and worn. Beware that you are in the woods, with the associated bugs and things that are a part of being in the woods. BUT, I left at 6:45 every morning and returned between 8 and 9 p.m., so it really was just a place to sleep and shower. By the way, they recommend bringing a flashlight because it really is PITCH dark walking back and forth in the mornings and evenings.

The food ranged from good to great. Other reviewers have said that they were a picky eater but did just fine. I am a picky eater, and I did have some challenges. Let H3 know in advance about food issues and they will work with you--in the moment they are less accommodating about pickiness (versus food allergies, for example). I also have a small appetite, and I found that there was no way I could eat as much food as they gave us. I was never hungry at all.

I went for only a week, and I think it was too short. I strongly recommend going for at least 10 days if you can possibly do it. Yes, it is expensive, but there is much to be gained by establishing habits while there and giving your mind and body time to "reset." One week was not enough, and I know I will have to work harder to maintain the habits because they have not yet had time to "set."

Most people who will read this will wonder about weight loss. I'll be upfront. I had started my weight loss journey 4 weeks before going, and had lost 14 pounds. While there I worked out 6 hours a day (no joke! Never thought it was possible, but with the variety of activities and my own motivation, it was exhilarating!) and never managed to eat 1200 calories a day. I lost 2 pounds total in a week. Hard to figure out the biology of that, and I had a moment of being really disappointed, but then I thought about how much I gained. I feel better in every way. I view life differently. It really was a life changing experience, and I have already booked my return trip. If you really are ready to change your life and how you feel about it, go for it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank mardai
Reviewed 10 September 2012

An expensive week for my budget but a 'GOTTA DO ONCE' event on my list.
Now, having said and done that...it's a 'MUST DO AGAIN" event on my list.

This place and these people challenged me to do things I would never do in my local gym.
Had me think of life events in a way which inspired rather than tired.
Just a complete mind and body wellness program.

There were lots of 'added cost' events and activities which did sound like fun and those participating had a great time. I Did None of those (budget), and STILL left with no sense of missing out on anything.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank knowinaintdoin
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My first time to experience Hilton Head Health (H3) was truely life changing! Going in I knew I was going to be doing alot of exercise, be on a reduced calorie meal plan, and be educated on the latest information regarding living a healthy life style. After one month, I was losing weight, enjoying the variety of exercise, being served great meals, meeting lots of interesting folks but best of all my lipid panel numbers were way down! I signed up to stay another month! Being at H3 hleped me lose weight and improved my health so that I have gone off my triglyceride medication and cut my cholesterol medicine in half! The staff there and all the guests were so wonderful and fun to get to know! The island is beautiful! The accomodations are very nice. Because of knee issues I spent many hours in the H3 salt water pool doing exercise classes (Zumba in the Pool, Bob's Water Resistance class, Aqua Bootcamp) and swimming burning those pounds off! All the exercise classes are so much fun and the trainers do modify the exercise if you have back or knee issues. I have never been any place like H3 and plan to return! Where else can you enjoy the people, food, activities, beautiful island, and still lose weight?!!!

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled cottage or condomenium.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Andi S
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have been to Hilton Head Health 3 times. The instructors, staff, and counselors are excellent. The approach is a total package of mind, body and spirit, addressing nutrition, exercise and over eating issues. The food is healthy AND delicious. Cooking classes are offered so that you can learn first hand how to make nutritious meals once you return home. There are a multitude of exercise classes to choose from that will accomodate most physical issues. I liked the water classes because of knee issues, so I was getting a great work out without stressing my joints. It is a vacation that you will return home from feeling better than when you left. I can't recommend this wonderful facility enough. Once you go you will want to return again and again! (Just like me!)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This May was my second time back to H3 and I plan to make H3 visits a yearly event. The accommodations, the facility, the staff, the food are fantastic. I travel alone and when I arrive at H3 I feel safe and welcomed. The stress just leaves my body and I have time to rest my soul. Besides a vast variety of exercise classes, there are lectures and workshops to help you learn and live a healthy lifestyle. At H3 its not just about the scale, its about the whole person. I have found no better place than H3 in the USA!

Room Tip: When making your reservations, ask for a villa and tell them if you have special needs.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo