“All I can say is "WOW!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Head Health

Hilton Head Health
MA
“All I can say is "WOW!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I don't even know where to begin about my wonderful stay at HHH! I spent ten glorious days here at HHH. My ten days were filled with fun, kick butt exercising in a butt kicking fun way, health education and overall well being. When I arrived I wanted to focus on getting myself back on the right track were my health was concern. I accomplished this and more. The food was great and Chef Jen, and staff, did a fantastic job at gearing the delicious meals to each guest. I was never hungry at HHH. I was able to experience things I would have never experienced if I had not gone to HHH; salsa dancing, drums alive (thanks Linda), tabata strength with David, beach bootcamp with David and Brianna (two of my favorites), pool Zumba (they have a great pool and jacuzzi), and I can now cross off my bucket list, morning yoga on the beach with Karen. HHH also offers private lessons, educational lectures and pretty much anything you can think of helping you feel better. They offer cooking lessons, massages (Maureen is wonderful), facials and fun excursions weekly. You will find professionals who do not judge, they really care about you as an individual.
They have first class concierge to help you make any arrangements you won't to make.

If you want a good place where every BODY fits in and you find all levels of health, then you want to go to HHH. You will not regret your decision to stay at HHH. After being there for ten days I am leaving stronger, healthier, and more focused about becoming the person I know I have always been. I was amazed at how many people were at HHH for more than two or three times. I plan on making this place a regular get-a-way.

I made some wonderful new friends at HHH.

(Thanks Bob, Lisette, Jeff, David, Brianna, Lindsay, Adam and everyone at HHH for helping me get back on the right track.)

Room Tip: I stayed in a beautiful Villa in Evian. I had a car so I didn't mind being further away from th...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank fifiMA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

In doing my research, Hlton Head Health was exactly what I was looking for: a reputable program in a nice setting with focus on education, health and exercise with other people looking to do the same. I was not looking for a vacation, a girls retreat or a spa. That being said, I enjoyed my time there immensely, met wonderful people and had one of the best massages I ever had ( thank you Betty!). I was initially hesitant about spending the money and the time, but can tell you it was worth every penny. The program is wonderful with supportive, caring staff, insightful seminars, varied exercise options and great food ( despite being on a restricted calorie diet). I arrived feeling unmotivated and lacking in self-belief. I left after a week feeling renewed, energized, confident and with a plan. I regret not being able to stay longer and have already put down a deposit for a return stay. I never expected to enjoy my time so much while exercising so many hours each day or that I would be sad to leave and wanting to return.

This is a realistic program focused on lifestyle change addressing the whole person: physical, mental and emotional well-being. The facilities are clean, well-equipped and welcoming. The grounds are peaceful and beautiful. But what really makes this place special is the people. Everyone from the front desk to the dining room staff to the trainers make you feel special and that anything is possible. Before I arrived, I was not exercising and by the end of the week I was doing a beach bootcamp and a 5K! I was apprehensive about coming alone but made friends quickly, felt safe in my surroundings and never felt uncomfortable in any of the classes (as you often do in other workout environments), staff and guests are all very supportive of each other. There were people here of all shapes and sizes, all looking to get healthy. I took advantage of every seminar and exercise class that time allowed in the day, leaving my condo at 6:45 am for the sunrise beach walk (amazing way to start the day) and not returning most nights until 8 pm. I felt the accommodations were comfortable and more than adequate, with my own bedroom and bathroom in a shared condo with a washer and dryer. If you are serious about making a change, just do it and Hilton Head Health is the place! There is a reason that so many are return guests.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Laurie S
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

My HHH experience was awesome, and I will definitely go back again for a "refresher". Well worth the money IF you are ready to commit to a lifestyle change. Many people who come to HHH definitely need to lose a lot of weight, but it is a program that can be beneficial for everyone and anyone as it is about embracing a healthy lifestyle. If you are not truly ready to commit to that, then you may be wasting your money. There were some folks in this latter category when I was there and it really was a shame. For me, it was a way to get myself back on track and re-motivated (I had already lost a lot of weight before I arrived but had been at a plateau for almost a year). It is now a month since I got home and I have been living the lifestyle and working out at the gym almost every day - and loving it - something I would have never thought possible! HHH offers so many different types of fitness options that you should be able to find some type of exercise that you will really enjoy. I decided to try just about everything they offered at least once and as a result I discovered new things that I now love to do (yoga! zumba! cardio boxing!). I have continued to lose weight and look and feel better. Staff are very committed and professional. Food was excellent especially considering you are eating restricted calories (although breakfast options could be expanded!) Overall, HHH was a fantastic experience! BONUS: The sunrise beach walks are spectacular, the spanish moss that hangs from all the trees is gorgeous, and where else can you watch an alligator sunning itself while taking a yoga class!

Room Tip: Our 3 bedroom unit was ok, but certainly not luxurious, which one might expect for the price. Also...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank loooovetravellin
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Hilton Head Health was the perfect getaway for me. Just what I needed- time to focus on my health in a peaceful setting, sourrounded by terrific supportive people. It was quiet, being early December, but that suited me just fine. Two weeks was a good amount of time to put towards my fitness/weightloss jump start. The food (1200 calorie diet) was overall quite good. I really wasn't hungry. A variety of fitness options were available all day long. You go at your own pace. I loved the yoga classes in particular. There was nothing I didn't like about this place. I felt really comfortable going alone as many other guests had come alone as well. ANd I made some great people. The only down side is that it is expensive, otherwise I would become a regular.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank moose1236
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Don't go to lose weight (although it is very focused on people with weight problems, including me), go to feel better, physically and mentally. The staff was amazing, and the fellow guests were supportive and made the experience wonderful. I wasn't keen on going to the seminars at first, but many are truly outstanding (esp. the metabolism class and the motivation class). I tried almost every activity available, and surprised myself. By Tuesday I had frequent moments of thinking "wow am I proud of myself." I hate exercise, but realized that much of it is that I don't push myself when alone, and am self-conscious about my appearance and lack of ability when in public. Combined, it is a formula for sitting and wishing. I returned home just two days ago, and I now know how much better I feel with regular activity . . . feeling good is an incredible motivator.

I stayed in the Cottages (one of the condo developments near the main lodge), and it was definitely dated and worn. Beware that you are in the woods, with the associated bugs and things that are a part of being in the woods. BUT, I left at 6:45 every morning and returned between 8 and 9 p.m., so it really was just a place to sleep and shower. By the way, they recommend bringing a flashlight because it really is PITCH dark walking back and forth in the mornings and evenings.

The food ranged from good to great. Other reviewers have said that they were a picky eater but did just fine. I am a picky eater, and I did have some challenges. Let H3 know in advance about food issues and they will work with you--in the moment they are less accommodating about pickiness (versus food allergies, for example). I also have a small appetite, and I found that there was no way I could eat as much food as they gave us. I was never hungry at all.

I went for only a week, and I think it was too short. I strongly recommend going for at least 10 days if you can possibly do it. Yes, it is expensive, but there is much to be gained by establishing habits while there and giving your mind and body time to "reset." One week was not enough, and I know I will have to work harder to maintain the habits because they have not yet had time to "set."

Most people who will read this will wonder about weight loss. I'll be upfront. I had started my weight loss journey 4 weeks before going, and had lost 14 pounds. While there I worked out 6 hours a day (no joke! Never thought it was possible, but with the variety of activities and my own motivation, it was exhilarating!) and never managed to eat 1200 calories a day. I lost 2 pounds total in a week. Hard to figure out the biology of that, and I had a moment of being really disappointed, but then I thought about how much I gained. I feel better in every way. I view life differently. It really was a life changing experience, and I have already booked my return trip. If you really are ready to change your life and how you feel about it, go for it!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank mardai
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

An expensive week for my budget but a 'GOTTA DO ONCE' event on my list.
Now, having said and done that...it's a 'MUST DO AGAIN" event on my list.

This place and these people challenged me to do things I would never do in my local gym.
Had me think of life events in a way which inspired rather than tired.
Just a complete mind and body wellness program.

There were lots of 'added cost' events and activities which did sound like fun and those participating had a great time. I Did None of those (budget), and STILL left with no sense of missing out on anything.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank knowinaintdoin
Ft Worth, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

My first time to experience Hilton Head Health (H3) was truely life changing! Going in I knew I was going to be doing alot of exercise, be on a reduced calorie meal plan, and be educated on the latest information regarding living a healthy life style. After one month, I was losing weight, enjoying the variety of exercise, being served great meals, meeting lots of interesting folks but best of all my lipid panel numbers were way down! I signed up to stay another month! Being at H3 hleped me lose weight and improved my health so that I have gone off my triglyceride medication and cut my cholesterol medicine in half! The staff there and all the guests were so wonderful and fun to get to know! The island is beautiful! The accomodations are very nice. Because of knee issues I spent many hours in the H3 salt water pool doing exercise classes (Zumba in the Pool, Bob's Water Resistance class, Aqua Bootcamp) and swimming burning those pounds off! All the exercise classes are so much fun and the trainers do modify the exercise if you have back or knee issues. I have never been any place like H3 and plan to return! Where else can you enjoy the people, food, activities, beautiful island, and still lose weight?!!!

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled cottage or condomenium.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo