“Great experience! Definitely will return.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Head Health

Hilton Head Health
Auburn, Alabama
“Great experience! Definitely will return.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was my first visit to H3. I learned a great deal throughout the week and enjoyed myself while doing it. I want to mention a few individuals who were instrumental in making sure I had a great week. First, Bob Wright spent some quality time with me discussing my goals and needs and how those related to the assessments he performed. I found this time invaluable, not only in the information he shared but in his enthusiasm and desire to see me succeed. I have taken his lessons and put them into practice at home and, I’m proud to say, am seeing continued success. Chef Karla was so gracious and welcoming in the Healthy Kitchen. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Culinary and Fitness Adventure. She took time with each individual and made sure we understood the techniques she was teaching. We have already been cooking some of the meals we learned and using the skills she taught us. We now enjoy our kitchen! And lastly, Alex and the staff at the front desk. They answered every question, accommodated every request, and offered encouragement at every turn. You truly have a staff focused on the guest experience. We will return to H3 because of these individuals and the rest of the staff. Everyone was so helpful it’s hard to single out these three. You have built an excellent staff. It truly does feel like a family. And, the food in the dining room is amazing!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jwesmc
Michael T, CEO at Hilton Head Health, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
Thank you for choosing to visit Hilton Head Health. It is amazing how just a week or two at our resort can make such an impact. And I am so glad you mentioned some of our spectacular professionals by name. They make this program so special.

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review and we’ll see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I love Hilton Head. Their staff is personable and professional from Bart who picked me up from the airport to Carry my massage therapist . I loved, loved, loved my cottage and it was perfect. If I had one complaint it would be the food. it was really not up to par. In the past it has been wonderful this time around not so much. The classes were great and lucky for me I wasn't that hungry:-) I will for sure be back and will and have recommended this place. I am positive they will get the menu worked out. They have gone up in price but they offer you free services. Not sure how I feel about this yet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bikinigirl_12
Michael T, CEO at Hilton Head Health, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
Thanks for coming back to Hilton Head Health. Our loyal guests mean so much to us. And every staff member, from driver to massage therapist, goes the distance.

The culinary experience at Hilton Head Health is now lead by an amazing Executive Chef, Hicham Elamadi. Chef Hicham is originally from Morocco and has run top restaurants in Paris and Atlanta. The menu is expanding under his supervision and is better than ever before.

Finally, I think you’ll be happy to know that we are now offering a special discount for returning guests. I hope to see you again!
Hollis, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I just returned from 3 weeks at Hilton Head Health, or "H3" for short. I was looking for a place to jump-start me toward weight loss. I did a thorough Internet search before selecting H3. I was looking for a high-end resort that focuses specifically on weight loss and offers excellent food, a wide-variety of fitness options, excellent lectures, and (most importantly) FLEXIBILITY - I did NOT want to attend a "boot camp" or "fat farm."

H3 exceeded all my expectations. The food is truly outstanding, and yet is so healthy and low-calorie. The new dining room chef, Chef Hicham (who has cooked all over the world), does some amazing tricks. For example, one night we had an appetizer of lobster bisque that was only 30 calories! It was outstandingly delicious. When he appeared in the dining room to a round of much-deserved applause, our table asked him how he did the bisque in so few calories. The answer: it looked and tasted like a cream bisque, but it was a trick - it was actually pureed vegetables (essentially carrot soup) with just right spices to fool our palette. It totally worked. We loved it. Multiple people at our table said we would gladly eat it every night.

H3 does three delicious sit-down meals per day plus 2 healthy snacks per day, for a total of 1200-1400 calories per day. That might sound really low, and indeed, that is the low end of the calorie range for healthy weight loss. But I have to say - and I'm being totally candid here - I never felt hungry, except when I stayed up too late at night and my stomach started to rumble. (At which point I would drink a Vitamin Water Zero I brought with me and head to bed.) The clever and careful way that H3 keeps your blood sugar at an even keel all day long by incorporating the healthy snacks totally works. I was amazed.

They have terrific fitness trainers with a huge variety - strength training, intervals, treading, tabata, pilates, yoga, pool fitness, dance, Zumba, TRX, and much much more - the list is endless. At any given moment, there are at least 3 different fitness classes going on for you to choose among. A great way to try out and find the fitness options that you like the best. ALL of the fitness classes are appropriate both for first-time beginners and experienced folk - the instructor always offers adjustments for any fitness level. NO ONE is EVER embarrassed in the slightest. The class attendees range from very overweight folks who have little fitness experience to folks who are regulars at their local gym, and EVERYONE is made to feel right at home.

And here's where the flexibility comes in: Unlike at a "boot camp" or "fat farm," H3 knows that everyone is an adult and in charge of their own destiny. Everyone is encouraged to take 2 fitness classes in the morning and 2 more in the afternoon, and the fitness classes are terrific and fun, but it's your journey. It's totally up to you. If you choose instead to do one cardio class per day and spend the rest of the day on the nearby (super beautiful!) beach, that is totally your prerogative, and no one will give you a hard time about it. You won't lose weight as quickly as other folks, but with the super healthy and delicious low-calorie diet, you'll still lose weight, you'll feel better, and you'll be on your way toward continuing healthy weight loss after you leave.

They have great lectures. Every day there are at least 2 different lectures on different health and weight loss topics, all of which are unusually engaging and super useful. I've been to several "portion control" lectures at various places in the past, but the one at H3 was the best one I've seen and I learned fascinating new things. The lectures all make good use of multimedia - photos, YouTube videos, props - there's no nodding-off here. The lecturers have been doing this for years, and they have finely crafted their presentations so they are effortlessly information-packed and memorable. Always useful and enjoyable.

One of my favorite parts of H3, which not everyone takes advantage of, is the multiple off-site adventures they offer every day. Some are free, some cost extra, but the cost is reasonable, and they give you a generous allotment of "H3 Bucks" for you to spend on these. I did a bunch of these activities, and they were great. You sign up, H3 drives the group to the location, and then one of their recreation staff does the activity with you. I went kayaking in two different locations on the island (we saw dolphins both times!), I tried paddleboarding for the first time, I did the "Slow-Ride" trip to Savannah where we got a tour of this historic city while "group pedaling" on this amazing human-powered vehicle contraption. I took golf lessons (golf is HUGE on Hilton Head), hiked the Sea Pines Forest Preserve, and a took a beautiful and surprisingly easy 7-mile guided bike tour that left from H3 and rode for 3 miles right on the beach. (Hilton Head is the only place I've been where - at low tide - you can ride your rental bike right on the hard sand of the beach, and it's awesome.)

Hilton Head Island is divided into a few HUGE gated communities called "plantations," plus common area for shopping and such. H3 is located in the Shipyard Plantation. The accommodations provided by H3 are condos that are individually owned by people for whom the condo is a vacation home that they rent out. H3 has selected 50 or so of these rental condos in Shipyard Plantation that meet their standards. H3 itself is a first-class facility, but H3 doesn't itself own the rental condos, so some of the condos are better than others, and are located anywhere from 2 blocks to 1 mile away from the H3 facility itself. The pricing of the condos varies depending on the quality and distance from H3. After reading reviews, I elected to stay in one of the more expensive refurbished condos, which are known as "The Cottages" and are quite close to H3 (mine was about 4 blocks away). It was totally fine. Nothing to write home about (I'm sure if H3 owned the condos itself, it would make them all excellent accommodations), but very comfortable and a normal type vacation home with plenty of room. I talked to a few of the other H3 guests who were accustomed to first-class accommodations when traveling, but booked H3 too late so they got the less expensive condos, and some of those folks were a bit disappointed with their accommodations. But then, you don't really spend a lot of time in the condo anyway, basically just to sleep. And on the plus side, H3 facilities people completely manage these rental properties while you are staying in them. One of the shower curtains in my condo was in sad shape, and within hours of my mentioning this to the H3 front desk, a brand new shower curtain was installed.

H3 is not really focused on being a "spa," but it does have some excellent spa facilities. The regular massages, "Thai Yoga massages," and facials are all very popular and first class. I was especially enamored with the Thai Yoga massage where you lay down on a futon like a limp fish (with your workout clothes on), and the massage therapist does all the work to push and pull your body into a full complement of yoga stretches that feels great and requires no work whatsoever. You can use your H3 Bucks on these spa facilities, just like you can on the off-site adventures (above). And, of course, if you run out of H3 Bucks, it doesn't matter, they can just charge it to your bill.

H3 offers excellent cooking classes, to learn how to make delicious healthy food. I know essentially nothing about cooking. But I did attend one of the cooking demos (we learned how to make delicious healthy smoothies) and I took one of the cooking classes (making healthy sandwich wraps, including grilling chicken and shrimp, making guacamole from scratch, and more). Chef Karla who runs the culinary classes at H3 is a marvel. I honestly think she should be on TV. She has a wonderful and encouraging teaching style that works for both cooking neophytes (like me) and kitchen experts who perhaps are trying to learn to prepare more healthy dishes. Her beautiful new facility for the cooking classes looks like a television studio, with every appliance and cooking utensil you could want. Every cooking station is fully equipped. It's a marvel. Even if you never take one of her cooking classes, at least attend one of the free functions they hold there each week - cooking demos and the Manager's Reception - to get an eyeful of this gorgeous and practical kitchen classroom.

The entire staff at H3 is truly amazing. No hyperbole. Every single person is friendly, helpful, welcoming, encouraging, will get you whatever you need, will stand on their head to make sure you have the most helpful and positive experience possible. Chefs, waitstaff, front desk, recreation staff, fitness trainers, lecturers, massage therapists, nutritionist, administrators, even the almost-invisible custodians - they are all awesome at friendly and effective customer service. In the three weeks I was at H3, I did not have one single interaction with anyone that was anything but positive. They are absolute wizards at hiring truly terrific, talented, and friendly people. Also, they have SO many staff. Honestly - no exaggeration - it seemed like there were as many employees as there were guests. The result is great personal attention and no waiting for anything.

Your time is your own at H3. Lunch and dinner are at noon and 6pm, and breakfast is served from 7:30-9:00am. But other than that, you are the one who directs your H3 journey. Fitness classes and lectures abound and are very friendly and welcoming to even the most out-of-shape individuals. But if you decide you want to play a round of golf at one of the 29 (!) golf courses on the island, or go shopping at the big fancy Tanger Outlets about 20 minutes away (Saks and Coach and all the rest), go for it! Also, there are no H3 activities scheduled after dinner, few activites on Saturday, and almost nothing scheduled on Sunday, so those are great times to stroll the moonlit beach, visit beautiful Harbour Town, or go take in a movie. H3 even offers a movie shuttle once each week.

I would say a little less than half of the H3 guests rent a car. H3 makes it very easy not to have a car - they can arrange for a bike rental to be waiting for you when you arrive, they will take you to and from the airport (either Savannah airport or the smaller Hilton Head airport), they will shuttle you to off-site activities, etc. I personally found it convenient to have a rental car. When I discovered that the workout T-shirts I had brought with me had shrunk too much in the wash, and I forgot my flip-flops, and I needed a few things at the drugstore, I just popped into my car and off I went. But if you are staying at H3 for many weeks, a car rental can be expensive for that whole time. Just something to think about, to decide what is right for you.

This was my first time at H3, and one thing I found surprising - and ALL the first-timers found surprising - is that the vast majority of guests at H3 have been there many times before. For many folks, it's an annual event, and they see old friends who come the same time each year. I met one fellow who has been coming to H3 almost every year for 40 years! My first reaction was: If H3 works, why do people need to keep coming back? But what I came to understand, and what everyone seems to understand after being at H3 for a week or so, is that H3 is a great place to "tune up" and get re-inspired to be healthy and fit, to lose some weight and with effortless delicious food and enjoy a vacation (almost) on Hilton Head Island, which itself is truly beautiful. By coming back repeatedly, folks reaffirm their commitment to health and weight-loss, get "back on the horse," and feel like you are really doing something good for yourself. Yes, absolutely you can come to H3 once, and you will learn a ton and come away with less weight and feeling great and truly inspired to continue your healthy journey. But if, like most of us humans, you sometimes fall off the straight-and-narrow, it's so nice to know you can come back to H3 to get reinvigorated and reenergized in your weight loss journey. I will definitely be coming back to H3 myself - I'm looking forward to it.

Most first-timers at H3 come for just one week, partly because they don't know what to expect, and partly because (of course) it's hard to get time off from work. If you can stay longer, though, it really helps. Psychologists say it takes a minimum of 3 weeks to form new habits. I stayed at H3 for 3 weeks, and I lost 20 lbs., learned a ton, found fitness that I liked, tried things I've never tried before, ate great food, and enjoyed myself. I wish I could have stayed longer.

A word about the type of clients who come to H3. H3 is on the pricey side, of course, due to its location, facilities, large and talented staff, and amenities. As a result, most (but not all) customers at H3 are at least somewhat affluent. These customers are generally highly-paid professionals, or financially-comfortable retirees, or successful business owners, or have well-to-do families, though there are of course exceptions. Also, H3 (or any weight-loss resort) works best when you have enough work flexibility that you can take time off to come to the resort for a few weeks. All of this makes for a specific type of clientele. I personally found this to be a plus - I found I had a lot in common with the other guests, and so many of the guests were truly fascinating people: a famous attorney and author who only represents whistleblowers, world travelers, multiple business owners who had sold their companies to big conglomerates, and more. Almost every day I sat down for a meal and met yet another person with a truly interesting career or life story. But this type of guest might not be your cup of tea, so I wanted to mention it.

For these same reasons, the typical guest at H3 is maybe 40-60 years old. There were definitely several younger folks when I was there, including a few in their early 20's, and H3 works GREAT for these young adults in terms of fitness and weight loss and all the rest. But honestly, I don't know if H3 is quite as fun for those very young adults, because there aren't a lot of folks their age. From my Internet searches, I discovered that there is at least one chain of weight-loss resorts that specializes in young adults ages 18-24, and has activities like talent shows and dance parties and trips to the local amusement park. Of course, those resorts for young adults are much less fancy than H3. But if you are a young adult, at least give some thought about whether the primarily middle-aged H3 is the right fit for you, or whether you might be happier at a facility that caters specifically to younger folks with whom you might have more in common. Just something to consider.

I know this review is incredibly long, but let me leave you with a final thought. Honestly, H3 feels a bit like cheating. You show up, and if you just eat the great food and do fitness classes and attend the lectures, you lose weight and feel great. It might seem weird to word it this way, but it's almost effortless. Yes, of course, the fitness classes require effort. But they are fun and welcoming, and you feel so accomplished afterward. There are no unhealthy food or distractions nearby. It's a first class retreat for weight loss, and it couldn't be better. Simple as that. After reading many, many reviews of other weight loss resorts, I would wager that H3 is the best weight loss resort in the country, bar none. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: If you don't mind spending a little extra, ask for one of the renovated condos, also known as &q...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
15 Thank RForgaard
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I have visited Hilton Head Health before. We are both looking to lose about 20 pounds. I can't speak about longer term visits but our one week stay was wonderful. Although its a pretty strict low calorie diet on paper, you don't suffer. So much good planning goes into the food part that you don't have to do anything but choose between different low calorie options among a lot of delicious options. The gourmet chef is from Morrocco and often pokes his head out to check on people. Any food choice and allergy, preference seems to be accommodated. So while the food is taken care of, you can focus on stimulating lectures, gazillions of different exercise classes and or going off on outdoor adventures. Choices seem to be the name of the game. You are assessed when you arrive and then its up to you. I have a feeling we will be going for some years to come. We met a 50 something traveling with her father who had been coming for 30 plus years. The impetus he said came whenever he gained 10 pounds. He looked great.

Room Tip: The spa services are still somewhat an add-on here. However the quality of service is very high.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rose4718
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Hilton Head Health is a life changing experience - a place where I can reconnect with my inner self while transforming my physical being.

Food - excellent - you will not be hungry.

Housing - request a remodeled cottage C11 and C19 are very nice.

Physical fitness - a variety of classes ( strength training, cardio and stretching / meditation/yoga).

Mental Health - a variety of lectures led by professionals.

H3 fosters a safe nonjudgmental environment where you can explore new activities and build lasting friendships with a variety of guests. H3 helps you answer the question "why - why are you at H3, why do you need a change, etc). At that point you create a longterm plan to transform your life for the better.

If you need to make a change I encourage you to visit H3. Yes, it is a financial investment. Long term you will be thankful you gifted yourself with the H3 experience.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank AHealthyNewMe
palm beach, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

After searching high and low for a healthy getaway...the Spas weren't what I wanted and the only other choice seemed to be 'Fat Farms' or 'Boot Camps' - didn't want that either.
I kept coming back to H3 online and finally booked my first visit in 2013.
It is truly one of a kind. I can't say enough wonderful things about this place!
From the moment you check in, the staff makes you feel so at home and you find that they sincerely care about each and every guest throughout your stay.
1200 calories a day yet I've never heard any say they're hungry - the kitchen is terrific!
Numerous classes are held all day long, along with lectures on health and nutrition. The education received here is worth the price of entry.
The housing is fine - you stay in rental cottages or townhouses within about a mile of H3 - there are beautiful bike paths and it's a joy to take walks around the plantation.
I do think though, that the staff is quite possibly the very best attribute of H3.
Kind, caring, friendly....you almost wonder what they put in the water to make everyone love their jobs so much :)
Truly one of a kind - a very, very special place indeed....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank kendallcaroline
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I went to Hilton Head Health (everyone there calls it H3) on a whim, desperate to lose 35 pounds gained during the most stressful year of my life and I got way more than I expected: There were daily lectures in between exercise classes with surprising topics like Gratitude, individual counseling and the opportunity to go off on a bike ride solo to balance the group activities. There's a heated salt-water pool that was toasty even while it snowed, a dining hall with an excellent staff, meals that accommodate the pickiest eaters (I'm one), classes I'd never heard of (Tabata, Treading, Nautical Noodle), and a range of accommodations (the "villas" I stayed in were nice townhouses, with porches and renovated baths). The staff is friendly and hard-working, and the program itself allows you to work as hard or as little as you want. That may be be the strongest and the weakest point: There is no real accountability, no one who makes sure you're actually working to achieve the goals you identify on day one, but you are free to design the program you want. You can take six classes a day or none, and no one is the wiser. One minor squabble: Someone got the idea that hooting and hollering during some of the classes is actually beneficial, while I found it alarming. Bottom line: I lost weight, improved all my numbers, and just signed up for another stint, this time with my husband. Whether you're fit and want a lovely place to run, swim, and bike, or you need to learn some healthy habits and shed weight, H3 offers plenty of options in a scenic location that is bound to please.

Room Tip: You might need a car or a good set of legs for biking if you don't choose the choice villas.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo