“HHH is transforming - Best Decision I've Made In a Long Time”
Review of Hilton Head Health

Hilton Head Health
California
“HHH is transforming - Best Decision I've Made In a Long Time”
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I cannot say enough good things about my visit to Hilton Head Health Institute. Since my family and friends have likely grown tired of hearing my accolades and thoughts, I figured I should take it to a larger audience.

Staff. The professional staff are the key to the success of the program and facility. I separate these two - program and facility - because one without the other makes success a challenge. The program staff are phenomenal. They are well-educated, attentive to individual needs, encouraging, challenging and generally invested in the very specific clientele who choose to visit and participate in the program. I cannot emphasize enough this concept of being specifically invested in guests. One particular memory that illustrates the investment: there was a kayaking outing and I was asked by a fitness instructor whether I would be participating. I told her that I didn't think that I could do it due to my size. Rather than simply accepting my statement, she encouraged me to do it. I did it. Something that I had written off as a possibility and she nurtured me in that process and it truly was a transforming moment for me. Another memory: I've heard much about yoga but never attempted to do it. The yoga instructor encouraged me to try it and walked me through it. I loved the experience and, again, the investment and nurture. The non-program staff are equally invested and committed to a high level of service.

Facility. The facility is in great condition. Significant remodeling has created a great atmosphere for learning and exercise. The new pool (it opened the day after I left!) is absolutely beautiful. The dining room has beautiful views of the golf course and lagoons. The exercise equipment is modern and clean. The rooms where classes are held are each great. I have no complaints about the facility.

Food. Absolutely the most surprising aspect of my trip was the quality of the foods. Frankly, the quantity as well. I was actually never left hungry. The attention to detail and use of local and organic ingredients was stellar. The chef and her team are well-suited for this program. I did find that a few meals in a row were lacking in flavor, but I was able to zip them up a little with the condiments provided at all meals (noncaloric or low calorie seasonings, etc.).

Lodging. I thought it was perfectly fine for me. Not luxury, but very much appropriate. I did not spend much time there. I left in the morning, spent my day at the facility participating in activities and then returned to the condo in the later evening. The laundry machine got much use and worked great. If someone is expecting a luxury hotel, they will be disappointed. Manage your expectations -- I knew coming in that I would be staying in a townhouse that was right along the lines of what I expected. I certainly enjoyed my own bed when I returned home, but I don't have any real complaints.

Location. Coming from California I had never been to Hilton Head Island. It was easy to get to from Savannah airport (I used a shuttle service and did not have a car during my visit -- I did not need one and would not get one during my next visit). The weather was cool, but fine. There was some rain during my stay, but it did not cause me to miss any programs. The facility is not very close to the beach, but that did not stop me from visiting the beach every day that I was there.

Highlights. The daily highlight for me was the sunrise beach walk. This activity meant a great deal to me and was a wonderful way for me to start the day. Specific highlights included the kayak activity mentioned earlier, my exercise session with the fitness director and good conversations around meal tables. Most of all, the highlight was returning home with a new attitude and a deliberate focus on taking care of my health.

Finally, I want to mention that before I decided to go to Hilton Head Health Institute I read the reviews on this website over and over again. I have tried in this review to be as thorough as possible. Many of the negative reviews I read describe a completely different place than where I spent two weeks of my life earlier this month. I hope that if my description fits what you're looking for you will consider attending! Maybe I will see you there!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank epkesq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Almaty
Reviewed 19 November 2009

My husband and I spent 3 weeks at H3 in March. The best thing about this place is its philosophy and program on how to change your life style. They teach you this in classes and show in practice. I had high blood pressure and took pills every day for 5 years and as a result of the program my blood pressure normalized. I was also diagnosed diabetes just before I came to H3. Having followed the program afterwards at home I lost within 8 months around 33 pounds without ever being hungry. I am now full of energy and healthier than I have ever been for the last 15 years. All people around who saw me before compliment me for looking great. I can now go and buy stylish clothes for myself at the best stores. The biggest achievement is that now my sugar level normalized!

Staff at H3 was very helpful and nice to us but not too much so that we had enough room for privacy and doing our own things. Early morning beach walks where we were accompanied by daulphins were unforgettible! The forest around is like a zoo full of peaceful allegators, various birds, etc. We also once saw a racoon. I understand that the best time to go is fall and spring.

H3 is for those who are serious about changing their life style and maintaining it forever. Accommodation and facilities are simple but you have everything you really need. Those who want to do nothing except relaxing in spa and in an up-scale 5 star hotel room should not go.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank assa1
New Hampshire
Reviewed 10 April 2009

For those of you who may be looking for a Weight Loss/Lifestyle/Bootcamp facility...this is by far the place to go. Yes...there are spa services available, but the primary focus is living a healthy lifestyle and how important nutrition and fitness are to accomplishing that goal. The staff is wonderful, the food is wonderful and the whole environment promotes a general sense of well being.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I don't think I've stopped dreaming about my stay here last spring. It was the most relaxing and fun vacation I've had in awhile, and incredibly inspiring because I came back thinner and more motivated than I've been in years.

The food was really good, and we have added some of their recipes (learned in a fun cooking class - though I ate too much during it) to our regular repertoire. The exercise classes were really fun, and I did Tai-Chi for the first time (and last - it always looks so cool, but I got a little bored). I took a beach boot camp class which was really fun, but hard! and I could have done without the tire-flipping element of it. (which I think was a spontaneous add-in).

It's not really a super-pampering spa, but was more relaxing for me than those types anyways. I felt active, healthy, and relaxed the whole time. There was also wireless everywhere, which is vital to me. The room was huge - a full condo, although I didn't spend much time there. And there are rental cruiser bikes which are really fun. Plus the dolphins!

• Liked — I could see aligators from my room.
  • Disliked — No welcome cookies
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank SunFlight
Syracuse,New York
Reviewed 3 September 2008

My husband got back 2 weeks ago from Hilton Head Health. He has maintained the 14 pound weight loss and has lost an additional 6 pounds since being back. He stayed for 2 weeks, and after being on many different diets, I have watched his weight yo yo and usually end up going up every year. I am a health nut, and he is now lecturing ME on proper food intake!

We are middle class and I was truly getting worried about his health. When the last doctor mentioned "obesity" when speaking about him amongst the other health problems he had, we both felt if he wants to see our kids grow up, he needs to get this in check.We felt that desperate times call for desperate measures.

He felt the accomodations were very nice, no complaints. He also mentioned that alot of the people who stayed there were richer than rich. They had butlers and maids at home, so I wonder if those were the people who complained about the service and accomodations. My husband said the help there were very polite and helpful. He had one week to himself as there was no roommate yet. He preferred the room to himself, but was too cheap to pay the extra price for the room to himself. He also complained about the alligators. He went for many walks around South Carolina and had to keep an eye out for them at all times. When he came back home, he was unconsiously looking out for them, and still is when we go for walks.

His one complaint was that the class which explained how to make the various meals was cancelled due to the chef quitting. There were many people there complaining about this. I, too, felt this was a very important aspect of the whole experience. However, due to the fact that my husband does seem changed and has since continued to lose weight (however not at the same speed as when he was there) I still have to give this place 5 stars. I can see my husbands face again!!!

It cost us 5,500 dollars for the two week stay, not including the airline ticket. I felt that the whole experience was worth it. At 47, I know of too many people who have had heart attacks and have passed away at this age. My thoughts were, if he passes away, how would I have felt saying that money was too much to spend? To me it was life or death, and I pushed my husband out the door to choose life. He has thanked me every day for doing this.

• Liked — Losing weight
  • Disliked — No class for preparing meals, alligators
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Highonlife-1
New York
Reviewed 5 June 2008

This was a great experience. There are those that will be sour to the experience...those looking for extensive spa services and pampering, those looking for 10 menu options at meal time versus the drive to create a healthy living structure, etc For those indiviudals I recommend you go to a prima donna spa that is about being seen and not truly about acquiring a healthy lifestyle - the Hilton Head Health Institute is not about spa services or induldging ego's, it is about getting on top of your health. H3I has the best educational programs I have ever expeienced. The program is about implementing sustainable healthy life styles -- and yes, this requires work. I recommend attending ALL of Bob's classes and doing the 5-mile beach loop every day. The food was wonderful. Founded by Dr. Miller, it is helpful to read Dr. Miller's "Hilton Head Diet" on the flight in - this will help you maiximize your stay. The present owner - John, is about getting serious on health. Interns do manage the physical fitness classes - a win/win. They earn the experience and the guests get a lift from their energy. There is construction of a nearby hoteling structure that will provide quality stay options (the current cottages are not owned by H3I and unfortunately this means they can not impose the high quality standards guests find on-site. ) If you are looking for a magic pill, this is not it. If you are looking for the keys to behavior modification that are sustainable visit H3I, do the classes, enjoy the food and tell Bob-the-nutrtion-guru-with-a-great-sense-of-humor "hello."

• Liked — great environment
  • Disliked — loved it all
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
Virginia
Reviewed 14 April 2008

This was one of the best things I have ever done! I originally was booked for two weeks and ended up extending to 3 weeks. I was looking for a place where people were serious about working toward a healthy lifestyle through exercise and eating right and this was the right place! A wide variety of exercise classes for all levels of fitness, many helpful and informative lectures and the star of the show was the food. It was delicious, healthy and served beautifully so I really felt like I was being pampered. You definitely get what you put into the experience. I tended to spend the day with the people who were the most aggressive about exercising. The staff is great.....there is someone there for every personality and fitness level. There were people there from many countries that said they could not find a place like this in Europe or their home country. There is a mix of first time people along with people who have been several times just to check in and give themselves another boost. I met numerous people with major health issues and they did just fine.....all were feeling so much better at the end of their stay. I would recommend HHH to anyone. The have started renovations for onsite accomodations which will be very nice.....as well as a new pool! The only problem there is the price will go up.....but its worth it!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled solo