“learned better health”
Review of Hilton Head Health

Hilton Head Health
Reviewed 21 March 2007

A 76 year old diabetic with a bad knee on a crutch, with no expection of even geting thru the 2 week program during Thanksgiving that my wife and daughter felt that i badly needed,, Not being able to walk without crutch, my coach councilor maped out swimming exercises and stretching in the 85 degree pool,, and the Nu Step seated exerciser. After 2 weeks of aeorbic and stretching exercises in the pool I felt like a new person. Diabetic on insulin 4 times a day was the hardest part with the lows . The healthy living lectures good, but hard staying awake. The swimming exercises learned at h31. I am doing in a friends pool 3 times a week. 56 years ago (1951) and 20 miles from Hilton Head ; at Parris Island, I was a proud graduate of USMC Platoon Leaders Class. Both USMC Boot Camp and Hilton Head Health Institute are good Physical and Learning experiences,, The H31 is the one that one would want to repeat. I have signed up for Thanksgiving 2007 at Hilton Head Institute. Thanks to my Wife and Daughter, I am living healthier.

Stayed: November 2006
4  Thank ivannhonorwichct

Reviewed 25 October 2006

I was very disappointed in almost everything about my experience with the H3I staff and administration. The exceptions are the kitchen staff and a person at the front desk who saw to shipping some boxes.
The "professionals" are unqualified to do serious work. This includes a therapist whose license has been suspended for 5 years for ethics violations, most of the exercise instructors [who are interns without degrees for independent practice], the evasive coaching staff and the uncaring administration.
The concept of the program is good, but it is spoiled by limited facilities and staff who are not to be trusted.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20  Thank littman
RSMoore, President & CEO at Hilton Head Health, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

I’m sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience during your stay in 2006. Since then, we have made several changes to our team – and we are now under completely new management. Our new management team strives to add variety to the program—including constantly updating our fitness offerings—to best meet Guests’ needs. I encourage you to visit us again and experience the new H3!

Reviewed 10 August 2006

HHHI is neither a destination (lacks full range of spa services, spa food, and variety of exercise programs) nor medical spa (no medical personnel on site). It is a poor value, over priced, 5,1/2 day, fat farm rip-off. If you are really overweight check out Green Mountain or Pritiken. If you need to loose a few pounds go to Canyon Ranch AZ or Rancho LaPuerta in Tecate, Mex.

My room and bath were filthy and the smoke alarm didn't work. My requests for an adjustment was refused and an email and registered letter received no response from the company President. The exercise program was run by college student teachers who double as waiters at dinner. Other than two, the remaining "behavioral counselors" are very junior. The spa food was the worst, by far, of the 5 spas I have attended with one choice at lunch and dinner. (2 slices of veggie pizza for Sunday arrival dinner, and an inedible frozen burnt "Boca" burger" for lunch another day. No wonder I lost some weight.) This is a bare bones, mediocre, operation with no evening programs and very poor customer service. The best part are the other guests with whom you share a common bond.

Treat yourself and go somewhere else. You deserve it.

68  Thank detravel

I’m sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience during your stay. I can assure you since 2006, we’ve made vast improvements to our program including spa service offerings, cuisine and exercise/fitness options. We even make available a wide variety of cooking demonstrations and hands-on classes in our new Culinary Arts Center to Guests going through the program. In addition, we’ve undergone several accommodation upgrades. I encourage you to visit us again in the future so you can experience the new H3!

Reviewed 4 April 2006

Ever hear the saying, "You get out of it what you put in to it!" This applies here like no other place I have ever been. The program "Healthy Lifestyle" is just that, they educate you on how to live a healthier, more enjoyable lifestyle.
They give you the hands on experience of living it, along with reasonable exercise programs that challenge, without over burdening your abilities, cooking classes that show you how to properly prepare and plan meals, lectures and presentations that equip you for life in the "real" world, and food that in my opinion was FANTASTIC.
This is not a "boot camp" for weight loss, or a "Spa" with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. If you need a drill instructor driving you, or to be waited on hand and foot and pampered this is NOT the place for you.
If you want a realistic, honest approach to a healthier lifestyle, a caring ,knowledgeable, and concerned staff showing you how to be a better you, how to exercise without hurting yourself, how to take control of your life back, and how to manage and control weight issues then this IS the place for you.
If you feel that you have the basic knowledge on how you should be living, eating, and exercising but need help putting it into practical application so that you can "live it" than this IS the place for you.
If it is time for you to get serious about living a healthier more active life, this IS the place for you.
From weight loss, food preparation and proper ways to exercise, I acquired the tools I needed, and was shown how to use them.
I Highly Recommend H3I, our weeks there have helped my wife and I make a New Beginning in our lives and we plan on “vacationing” here at least once a year.

John R. Migliorini
johnmig@wwlnk.net

16  Thank johnmig
Reviewed 31 March 2006

I've taken vacations all over the world and always returned home with extra pictures for the photo album and extra pounds for the scale!

Hilton Head Health Institute was a week of focusing on myself, my stress and emotional eating, and learning about nutrition and exercise. I lost ten pounds, and 5 more since I've been back. I plan to go one or two weeks per year because losing weight is a lifetime struggle and realistically I'll have my ups and downs.

My accomodations were beautiful, new, comfortable Villas. As it was I spent very little time there anyway. Most days were spent on beach walks, fitness classes, water aerobics and educational classes by a top notch group of instructors who were informative, personable and funny.

The food was fresh, low calorie and portion controlled and the service impeccable. If you are looking for a health spa that will pamper you into looking like a model than keep dreaming. But if you are ready for a vacation that will destress you, help you lose weight and more importantly give you the tools to lose weight and change your life than I can't recommend Hilton Head Institute enough.

15  Thank Julie M
Reviewed 27 February 2006

I had never been to a weight loss camp before, but I would sure suggest the Hilton Head Health Institute to anyone who is thinking about it. I was surprised at how intense it was, yet it was fun, too. Good staff and program, great location, got to know some other guests, too.

16  Thank gsilloway
A TripAdvisor Member
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 27 February 2006

We just returned from 2 weeks at the Health Institute. This program was more than we could have dreamed. We were surprised to find that we enjoyed eating healthy food and exercising. The staff was supportive and encouraging and we made great friends! I wish we could have found this program sooner!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member