We visited in June, 2014, including two adults and two young children (1 and 4 years old). We spent four nights over a weekend in a first-floor room (one king, one bunk bed).
We travel a lot for work and vacation (as a family). Both of us are members of the IHG Rewards Club frequent guest program.
This is our third time at the hotel in the past 15 years as guests (in addition to visiting the Tiki Bar on other occasions), so we have some context.
First, the Good:
- Location is top-notch (Coligny Beach)
- Pool and beach access are great
- Various restaurants/food options (variety, not quality)
- Unique bunk bed "kids suite"
- Large outdoor patio
- Bike rentals on-property
- Bed and pillows were comfortable
- Very fast Internet (best quality/speed I've had in over 200 US/CA hotels over the past 5 years)
Now, the Bad (why we would pass)
- Hotel is in disrepair (see photos)
- Security - very scary clientele, especially 7p-10p (one guy begged for money outside our room; another gang member-looking duo asked us how much we paid for our room)
- Service is absolutely terrible. Housekeeping was slow, late (>4pm), incompetent (half-finished room), and didn't even make up our room two nights
- Door handle fell off
- General upkeep of the property - chipped door paint, old rundown carpeting, clogged sinks/toilets/showers (as others have echoed)
- Loud in-wall air conditioner (as others have echoed)
- Very loud Tiki Bar music - they sounded like they were in our room
- Food at the restaurants was flavorless, expensive and generally terrible (peach cobbler was the closest to "okay", but was "unavailable" one night for no reason)
- Crib was ripped and dirty
There are things that they CAN fix - notably all of the people/service-related issues. They can't control who visits the hotel, bars, beach, etc. - but they can "de-incentivize" lowlife scum from visiting.
They were completely unapologetic. We were promised a call from someone to follow up - that hasn't happened. It all adds up - this place is a dump, the service is terrible, and the people don't care.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In April 2016, Beach House Resort completed $7 million in floor-to-ceiling guest room renovations. The new Premium Oceanfront Guestrooms offer front row seats to live music at Tiki Hut - and the new Premium Patio guestrooms are steps from the sand. The newly renovated Junior Suites offer plenty of space, ocean views, and space for up to five guests. With more than 50 miles of scenic trails at its doorstep, the resort's newly designed interior emphasizes Hilton Head Island's stunning coastline - with an airy, coastal beach vibe. And there's more... Highlights: • The 202-room renovation has transformed Beach House into a truly boutique, oceanfront resort on Hilton Head Island. • Beach House is home to the world-famous Tiki Hut, the only toes in the sand, drinks in hand experience on Hilton Head Island-here you'll enjoy live music daily, watch the pros play volleyball, and sip cocktails crafted by one of the Island's favorite bartenders. • Start and end your day at The Porch Southern Kitchen, serving up Low Country favorites all day long, complete with outdoor seating, an oversized fire pit, late night live music, and dive-in movies. • The sparkling Resort pool, located steps from Coligny Beach, is a perfect place to soak up the sun. • Beach House is just down the sand from Beach Market shops and restaurants ... and across the street from Coligny Plaza's 60 shops and restaurants - all connected by walking paths. • The renovations extend beyond the guestrooms - over 6,000 square feet of flexible meeting and banquet space has been upgraded to reflect the genuine beach vibe, including two of the finest private, beachfront event venues on the Island. The Resort can accommodate groups up to 300 people for events, weddings and retreats. What hasn't changed? The sounds of the ocean waves. Hundreds of yards of unspoiled beachfront. The perfect location across from Coligny Plaza. Onsite dining and live entertainment at The Porch and Tiki Hut. And everything you've come to love about Beach House. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Beach House, A Holiday Inn Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Oceanfront Hotel Hilton Head
- Holiday Inn Hilton Head
- Hilton Head Holiday Inn