“Would never stay here again!!”

Marriott's Barony Beach Club
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Ocean City, New Jersey
“Would never stay here again!!”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My family and I traveled to Marriot Barony beach through an exchange in Interval International. We were excited to be heading to Hilton Head for the first time. Upon arrival at this resort we were very disappointed by the size and overall layout of resort. This resort is very small in comparison to the many others we've visited. They had activities during the day but they were geared towards adults and not young children..If you are a couple and looking for a getaway this would be good for you. If you are a family this is not a resort for you. Most of the activities centered around adults with wine , beer and other adult activities. The staff was not very friendly or helpful when needed. Our room was not up to par with Marriott standards. The room was not clean , had mold in bathrooms, pipes made a banging noise when water was running. The water itself I would not drink it had a horrible smell to it. The furniture looked beat up with scratches, wobbly legs etc. These rooms are in serious need of rehabing. They did have onsight bike rentals which we took advantage off and were able to explore the island. The Spa was a huge disappointment for this simple reason...my daughter and I decided to tour the spa during one of their open house sessions....the staff was rude to my daughter and did not like the fact she was with me....I think this staff needs to be more open minded to younger girls...afterall there are young girls that do get pedi's and mani's.....and that is what my daughter was interested in getting...after the reception we received we would not step foot back in there! Spa staff needs to get lower their noses a little bit instead of being stuffy!! I could go on and on.. but will refrain. We will be returning to Hilton Head and loved the island however, we will be looking to stay at another Marriott property not Barony Beach!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank jrsyshoregrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Schleswig, Germany
Reviewed 6 July 2012

They'll make me say more, but it is all in my title. Grounds are immaculate, activities are what you'd expect, the surf is lame but that's beyond even tehir control.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, only people who are too pampered and who expect too much.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Orad O
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Cant beat Baroney Beach. We visit every year and have yet to have ANY issues other than the fact trying to figure out how these folks can do it year after year and make you feel like royality.Going back again this year for more fun and top notch hospitality A+

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Paul P
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We have been Barony owners since 1999 and this was our third stay here. (We have traded out for time at other resorts). Usually, there are no problems at this lovely resort. This time however, we were shocked when first checking in to the room. The comforters on two of the three beds were ripped along the hems, with the hems hanging down on to the floor. The coffee table in the living room was broken around the base and was very wobbly, we could see where they had tried to hold it together with a metal bracket underneath, the screws had come out of the bracket and it was just hanging. I reported these things to the front desk and they were corrected while we were out for a bike ride. But as owners we were wondering how these details were not noticed by housekeeping and corrected. Then we discovered the toilet in the master BR loose from the floor, causing it to rock every time you got on or off of it. Also, we discovered a dirty, wet q-tip in the silverware portion of the dish drainer in the kitchen. Yikes. This last thing not reported to the desk, we just took care of it ourselves.
Now on to the positives...this is a beautiful resort in a beautiful setting. The rest of the unit we had was lovely and clean, and very comfortable. 6 adults shared the unit for a week comfortably. The pools are outstanding,we do wish they would allow adult-only use of the pool and hot tub from 10-11pm at night and maybe one hour in the am. Staff was courteous and helpful. I would recommend this resort and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Donna O
Mooresville
Reviewed 21 June 2012 via mobile

We have been owners here since 1999 and love it. Every year they make improvements to the amenities and this year has been the most dramatic. They have added a great waterslide to the garden side unit pool along with a splash pad for the kiddies and a grilling pavilion with flat screen tv's and a fireplace for Mom and Dad. They keep the resort spotless and the units are spacious and comfortable with two bedrooms and two full baths, along with two whirlpool tubs in each unit. the staff is particularly accommodating, and make every effort to fulfill visitor's requests for villa location as best as possible. My only complaint this year, and it is minor, is that the pool now closes at sunset and my husband and I used to enjoy going for a moonlight swim which we are not able to do any more due to the change in the pool hours.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DSE1
Augusta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I was very disappointed with The Barony Beach Club. This was our first visit to Hilton Head and The Barony. I have stayed at several Marriott resorts before and never experienced anything like this before. First, parking is a very big issue here and not conducive if you have senior family members, guest or more than one vehicle within your party. Second, the customer service that we received was not rude, however, it was apparent that they did not care either. The was a miscommunication error, the error on behalf of the Barony, and I did not feel like they cared about the celebration we had planned for the weekend. I felt somewhat harrassed by management having to give all the names of the people staying in my villa just to get a parking pass and then was told that anyone without a pass would be escorted off the property. Also asked for a late checkout and was told it would not be a problem. Checkout comes and housekeeping is there to tell me that my late checkout was not approved. I just felt like the customer service and clear communication could have been a lot better given the circumstance at hand. Poor representation for a Marriott resort. Clearly check all places before chosing to stay at the Barony.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Blondy0909
Wales UK
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We are Marriott owner's in Spain and exchanged through Interval for Barony Beach. It took 4 months approx to get the exchange through, so that's a good indication of how popular this resort is.
Barony Beach wasn't my first choice but having gone down to Harbour Town one day, I am so glad we got Barony as the location right on the beach is so good. If we ever did return, it would be Barony I would definitely request again!
Like so many other's, we requested Oceanside and had an e mail through from Zach a few days before informing us that we were in the garden villas. We obviously expected this as we do not own here. I was expecting from all the reviews a long walk to the beach and very surprised that it was literally a short walk.On numerous occasions as we were walking over to the oceanside we were asked by the driver of the courtesy cart if we wanted to have a ride over and each time we preferred to walk.
If we did go back to Barony I would request a garden villa again as I was so pleased with our villa on the 3 rd floor of the Jasmine building that got the morning sun and overlooked the pool and hot tub. In the evening it was great sitting out on the balcony overlooking the pool that was lit up. Obviously ocean front view must be great but many of the other villas on this side that just have the garden view to me appeared very shaded.
Whilst in the pool one day we did over hear a person say that they had paid to upgrade from the garden to ocean side!
I cannot say enough for the service from all the Marriott staff. On our arrival I realised as we were cooking for 8 people for a special meal for my husband's 50th birthday and I did not have a large enough roasting dish for what I was doing. Literally within minutes they delivered a very large foil tin that was perfect. We also had a dishwasher fault on the first morning and within 30 mins someone came. On both occasions a follow up call came through to us to ensure we were happy.
It was so good having the good choice of pools, and most days we used the quieter outside pool in the garden in front of the indoor pool.
We only used the poolside grill once and waited nearly an hour for our food. We didn't mind as we sat watching the tennis under the shade sipping a cold drink. However, a manager came onto us apologised for the delay and asked each member of our party to choose any drink free of charge. As these drinks came, so did our food so that was good customer care.
Again, I would highly recommend Barony Beach, it was such a special holiday for us!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family