“Good for families with young children”

Marriott's Barony Beach Club
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We spent a week at the Marriott Barony Beach in Hilton Head with our 2 and 5 year old. We arrived a couple of hours early and were pleased that our unit was ready for us. But even if it's not, there is a really nice locker room where you can leave things in a locker, change, etc. The staff at the front desk was very nice and knowledgeable for the most part. The unit was very nice, very similar to other Marriott time share units, glass top tables, granite counter tops, nice appliances etc. One thing that I liked about this unit is that there was a pantry built-in in the kitchen, so there was good storage space. There was adequate room in the unit, the beds were very comfortable, although the living room furniture was a bit hard, but not a huge deal. I liked that the a/c unit shut off when the doors were open for more than 2 minutes, that kept from wasting energy. We were on the ocean side of the resort, there are 4 buildings on the ocean side and 2 buildings on the garden side. There are 4 pools, 3 outside and 1 indoor. The ocean pool and the garden side pool are really geared toward young children, they are zero level entry, the ocean side pool has fountains in it that our kids loved, and the garden side pool had a sea turtle and crab for the kids to play on and a coconut tree where water dumps out of the coconuts, and it has a "splash pad" for the kids where water was shooting up from the grounds and out of gators mouths, etc. Our kids loved that! The ocean side had a small circle of these fountains as well. The garden pool has a large water slide (tube slide, about 2 stories high), it was fun for me, but too much for our kids, even our 5 year old who swims well and typically likes slides was too intimidated by it. There is a life guard on duty for the slide and they close it if the guard isn't there. Although it looks like they are far from each other on the map, you really just have to cross the street to get from the ocean side to the garden side, it is an odd layout, and I was glad that we were on the ocean side so that we were closer to the beach, but I don't think the garden side was as far from the beach as I thought it might be.
The beach is nice, and super wide. It does get crowded, but not too bad. If you don't bring your own chairs, you can rent chairs and umbrellas from the resort. We were amazed by the contrast between high and low tide. The waves are very small, it is gradual, it was really perfect for small children.
The marketplace was bigger than others we have seen and had pizza hut pizza. It was ridiculously expensive of course, but super convenient. There is a beach bar restaurant called All Y'alls, their berry margaritas were good, but the food wasn't that great. I recommend going elsewhere if you are looking for a good dinner out (The Old Oyster Factory or Roastfish and Cornbread). The grounds are really pretty and well maintained. We got some good pictures of the kids in front of the flowers. There are also bench swings all around the property, which I thought was a nice touch. There are a lot of activities and many that are geared towards children (even though you will read a review here that says they aren't - there were plenty for our kids). One thing I liked about the resort is that there are shuffle boards and cornhole (the beanbag game, I think that's what it's called) in the center between the buildings. There are plenty of grills and a lot of people out grilling, my husband enjoyed chatting with all of the guys out grilling each night.
We didn't go to the spa, but they do have a little girls spa, which I peeked into and it was really cute!
The day we checked out, we decided to stay and spend the day at the beach, it worked out well, we just showered and changed in the locker room at the end of the day and headed out.
Overall, it was a good trip. We enjoyed Hilton Head and thought Barony Beach was a really good choice, especially for families with little ones.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the beach, ask for a unit on the ocean side of the resort.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank maestralaura

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My family and I traveled to Marriot Barony beach through an exchange in Interval International. We were excited to be heading to Hilton Head for the first time. Upon arrival at this resort we were very disappointed by the size and overall layout of resort. This resort is very small in comparison to the many others we've visited. They had activities during the day but they were geared towards adults and not young children..If you are a couple and looking for a getaway this would be good for you. If you are a family this is not a resort for you. Most of the activities centered around adults with wine , beer and other adult activities. The staff was not very friendly or helpful when needed. Our room was not up to par with Marriott standards. The room was not clean , had mold in bathrooms, pipes made a banging noise when water was running. The water itself I would not drink it had a horrible smell to it. The furniture looked beat up with scratches, wobbly legs etc. These rooms are in serious need of rehabing. They did have onsight bike rentals which we took advantage off and were able to explore the island. The Spa was a huge disappointment for this simple reason...my daughter and I decided to tour the spa during one of their open house sessions....the staff was rude to my daughter and did not like the fact she was with me....I think this staff needs to be more open minded to younger girls...afterall there are young girls that do get pedi's and mani's.....and that is what my daughter was interested in getting...after the reception we received we would not step foot back in there! Spa staff needs to get lower their noses a little bit instead of being stuffy!! I could go on and on.. but will refrain. We will be returning to Hilton Head and loved the island however, we will be looking to stay at another Marriott property not Barony Beach!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank jrsyshoregrl
Reviewed 6 July 2012

They'll make me say more, but it is all in my title. Grounds are immaculate, activities are what you'd expect, the surf is lame but that's beyond even tehir control.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, only people who are too pampered and who expect too much.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Orad O
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Cant beat Baroney Beach. We visit every year and have yet to have ANY issues other than the fact trying to figure out how these folks can do it year after year and make you feel like royality.Going back again this year for more fun and top notch hospitality A+

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Paul P
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We have been Barony owners since 1999 and this was our third stay here. (We have traded out for time at other resorts). Usually, there are no problems at this lovely resort. This time however, we were shocked when first checking in to the room. The comforters on two of the three beds were ripped along the hems, with the hems hanging down on to the floor. The coffee table in the living room was broken around the base and was very wobbly, we could see where they had tried to hold it together with a metal bracket underneath, the screws had come out of the bracket and it was just hanging. I reported these things to the front desk and they were corrected while we were out for a bike ride. But as owners we were wondering how these details were not noticed by housekeeping and corrected. Then we discovered the toilet in the master BR loose from the floor, causing it to rock every time you got on or off of it. Also, we discovered a dirty, wet q-tip in the silverware portion of the dish drainer in the kitchen. Yikes. This last thing not reported to the desk, we just took care of it ourselves.
Now on to the positives...this is a beautiful resort in a beautiful setting. The rest of the unit we had was lovely and clean, and very comfortable. 6 adults shared the unit for a week comfortably. The pools are outstanding,we do wish they would allow adult-only use of the pool and hot tub from 10-11pm at night and maybe one hour in the am. Staff was courteous and helpful. I would recommend this resort and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Donna O
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We have been owners here since 1999 and love it. Every year they make improvements to the amenities and this year has been the most dramatic. They have added a great waterslide to the garden side unit pool along with a splash pad for the kiddies and a grilling pavilion with flat screen tv's and a fireplace for Mom and Dad. They keep the resort spotless and the units are spacious and comfortable with two bedrooms and two full baths, along with two whirlpool tubs in each unit. the staff is particularly accommodating, and make every effort to fulfill visitor's requests for villa location as best as possible. My only complaint this year, and it is minor, is that the pool now closes at sunset and my husband and I used to enjoy going for a moonlight swim which we are not able to do any more due to the change in the pool hours.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DSE1
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I was very disappointed with The Barony Beach Club. This was our first visit to Hilton Head and The Barony. I have stayed at several Marriott resorts before and never experienced anything like this before. First, parking is a very big issue here and not conducive if you have senior family members, guest or more than one vehicle within your party. Second, the customer service that we received was not rude, however, it was apparent that they did not care either. The was a miscommunication error, the error on behalf of the Barony, and I did not feel like they cared about the celebration we had planned for the weekend. I felt somewhat harrassed by management having to give all the names of the people staying in my villa just to get a parking pass and then was told that anyone without a pass would be escorted off the property. Also asked for a late checkout and was told it would not be a problem. Checkout comes and housekeeping is there to tell me that my late checkout was not approved. I just felt like the customer service and clear communication could have been a lot better given the circumstance at hand. Poor representation for a Marriott resort. Clearly check all places before chosing to stay at the Barony.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family