“Great Stay at Barony Beach Club”

Marriott's Barony Beach Club
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Stay at Barony Beach Club”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We really enjoyed a fun filled week at the Barony Beach Club in July 2013. The 2 BR, 2 BA oceanside villa was in great condition, parking was easy in and out. The beach was easy to access and not over crowded.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The extra mile - couldn't find the free USA Today paper - after being showed where it was, the next day, the papers were in a more noticeable spot
The extra mile - arrived Sunday night and had parking outside the building - since inside the building had a lot of empty spots they said I could park inside the first night and then check each day if okay to do it the next day
The extra mile - have a Chevy Volt (Electric) and they have no charging station (Plans in the future). Directed to Director of Operations and they dedicated one of the slots where the maintenance carts recharge - gave me an orange cone to save the spot when out. Memo went to staff to save the spot for me.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank David W
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My family took a vacation to Hilton Head Island in May and after considering several options I chose the Barony Beach Club thanks to a discount offered to Marriott elite members. I was not disappointed in my selection. From reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I knew not to expect to get a suite in an oceanfront building. Sure enough, only Courtyard and Garden buildings were available; despite concerns about the possible noise from construction, I booked a Courtyard suite. A day before arrival, I decided to re-check Marriott's website just in case something had come open. Not only did an Oceanfront suite appear available, it was at a lower rate than what I had booked the Courtyard for. I called the hotel, with no expectations. The lady in reservations immediately moved us to an oceanfront suite.....

....and boy do I mean oceanfront. Even though there are two oceanfront buildings, the majority of the rooms in these buildings still face the courtyard, so one must crane his or her neck out over the balcony to actually glimpse the ocean. Only a handful of the suites are truly ocean-facing, and we were lucky enough to get one. Spacious, immaculately clean, and with a fully-stocked kitchen, it was jaw-dropping enough that I immediately contacted the front desk to extend for an extra day if possible. Again, this was done with no fuss. All suites are two-bedroom, with a king in the master and two doubles in the second bedroom; each suite also has a full-sized, fully-stocked laundry room.

My family loved the feature pool and the very short walk to the beautiful, clean beach; mostly, though, I loved how every member of the staff was pleasant, accommodating, and in the rare case when something was not perfect, apologetic to the point of embarrassment. Of note: the kiddie pool by the Garden building seemed to have a very slick bottom when we first tried it out; sure enough, a few hours later a man fell and hit his head and the pool was closed for safety inspection and repairs for the rest of our stay. While this was certainly disappointing for the kids, it also shows that the hotel was taking the problem seriously. In any event, there was no shortage of other activities to replace it.

This is an absolutely capstone Marriott vacation property and one of the best hotel experiences I have had. For example, we stayed over Mother's Day weekend, and my wife was given a rose at check-in. It was the little touches like this that make the property truly stand out. If you're looking for an unforgettable beach vacation on Hilton Head, this is the place.

My only caveat: before our stay, I was contacted by a salesperson who was hawking Marriott's timeshare program. She contacted me while I was at work, and despite my repeated attempts to explain to her that I needed to speak with her at a later time, she persisted. Part of this call was set up to sound as if our family had to attend an off-property seminar on timeshares in order to claim our discount; while I called this tactic out fairly quickly, it's a tacky approach and hardly befitting of the Marriott brand.

Room Tip: There are three classifications of buildings containing the suites: Oceanfront, Courtyard, and Garde...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JYarba
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The two bedroom rooms are really nice. Updated, clean, and in very good shape. The activities were nothing to write home about, but it is off season. The pools are very nice and having an indoor heated pool for those cool days is really nice. The beach is really nice and the location, well, on Hilton head I don't think there is a bad location. Other than this one is on the beach, so that is nice. Everyone was really nice and we never got that look of oh my god, you have a kid that some places have when it is off season. In fact everyone was really nice and people even interacted with my daughter. I really have no complaints, even my location was good. We were in one of the front four buildings, so while we exchanged in, since we are Marriott owners elsewhere, we do get some priority. While we could not see the ocean, it had a really good nature/camping vibe where we were that we really liked. The walk to the ocean was really short.

The only one slight complaint is the bar is only open to 8 PM, we are used to 10 PM at our home resort, so that was not the best. Activities were all earlier than normal for us too. Seems like the town does slightly shut down earlier than other places we are used to.

1 Thank IzzyB68
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I bought a legacy week last year as a Marriott resale. Sight unseen and never having been to the island. We feel like we got the jackpot. What a special place. Pristine and tranquil, right on the beach. The weather was not perfect but the condos were well appointed, there were lots of activities and we were happy just to sit on the balcony and appreciate the beautiful grounds. We look forward to many happy memories here in the upcoming years.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank RubyDo1956
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Not overwhelming more of an older plain jane property. Lots of seniors mixed with people complaining about how they got screwed in the "crime share".
Parking is a farce if you have more than one car....park in color designated areas, nowhere near your rented unit.
Room service.... Forget about it....they'll forget about you.
Tiki bar and pool were nice. Located at the far end "heel" of the island. Third Floor,Sea Oat unit really needs to be updated.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
2 Thank Bacsusa
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This property is beautiful! It's beachfront (which makes the location excellent), quiet, surrounded by a lot of trees, offers a ton of activities, relaxing, friendly/responsive staff, friendly guests, has spacious rooms and it's CLEAN. I can be very critical when it comes to cleanliness and this place really passed my expectations. The beds were sooo comfortable. I was able to get a good night's sleep every night. I woke up every morning feeling like a brand new person. We really didn't want to leave.

1 Thank BrandiCS