As you drive up to the Marriott Resort in Hilton Head you marvel at the beautiful setting, the gracious entrance and attentive front door staff. The lobby is beautiful and the front desk staff welcoming and efficient. Unfortunately everything went downhill from there. As soon as I entered my room it was obvious the rooms in the hotel needed some serious attention. Considering this was an upscale resort hotel, finding a huge old TV and no flat-screen was somewhat strange. The TV was too heavy to even turn a little bit so it could face the lounge chair in the corner.The furniture in the room was scuffed and worn. There was a mildewy sort of smell in the room. The bathroom was clean and bright but the hairdryer was one of the cheapest varieties I have seen in a hotel. The shower spray was weak, and the head up so high I couldn't reach it to adjust. They need a handheld attachment for shower heads set this high on the wall. I decided to make a cup of coffee using the in-room individual coffee maker. The little creamer packs were spoiled and curdled in the coffee.
I was attending a bridge tournament with probably a couple of thousand people and somehow the hotel forgot they had this large influx of patrons coming in. The restaurant had not planned for this and had only scheduled one server and one bartender for the lounge and buffet supper. They closed the downstairs restaurant in the evening instead of leaving it open to accommodate the overflow of guests from the upstairs restaurant and lounge. Granted this is normally closed in the evening, but considering the jam of guests one would think some better planning was called for. The food was mediocre at best. The morning breakfast was no better. The breakfast buffet cost $18++ but ordering off the menu was about $12/order. What did they think people would do? So of course there was a backlog in the kitchen. They were obviously hoping everyone would eat off the buffet. What a nightmare. The staff seemed harassed and frantic at times.
The signage in the lobby was poor. It was hard to find a sign to the room you wanted to go to unless you were standing in front of the entrance to the section. The hotel had two towers but you wouldn't have known this standing in the lobby.
I did talk to the manager about the issues and they did comp a free pot of coffee in the morning to make up for the curdled milk. However, no one ever replaced the bad creamers so I imagine the next guest will have the same problem. The flat screen TVs are supposed to be installed in a couple of weeks.
The Internet connection in the room gave a choice of connection for various periods of time and choice of payment methods. I chose to charge it to my room and promptly got a temporarily unavailable message. It was temporarily unavailable the whole stay.
There is a little gift shop and coffee bar in the lobby area. But only one person was staffing the shop so people just wanting to buy an item or two had to wait in line while she also made the lattes, took the money, etc.
The main problem with this hotel is very poor management of resources, insufficient staff and no planning whatsoever. As far the the room amenities this would seem to me to be a corporate issue. Marriott gets a big black eye for this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a premier oceanfront hotel at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. Our world-class resort in Hilton Head, SC offers you an island escape in utter paradise. Enjoy newly renovated guestrooms, award-winning dining, three championship golf courses and spa. In addition, our distinctive Hilton Head oceanfront hotel's staff always delivers superior service to make your stay even more special. Our outstanding family-friendly retreat also offers a wide array of impressive amenities, including golf, tennis, biking, parasailing and so much more. Take advantage of our unbeatable location and enjoy easy access to a variety of nearby destinations, including local airports, shopping and popular tourist attractions. Plus, this Hilton Head resort provides dynamic event spaces, creating an ideal location to host your celebration or professional conference. Experience supreme relaxation and scenic views at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Head Marriott Resort And Spa
- Hilton Head Marriott Hotel Hilton Head
- Marriott Hilton Head