“great place to be at the water edge”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This hotel has been a family escape for many years. It is showing it's age, just like me. The walls were plastered so many times that there were actual hills in the wall. The shower had holes through the wall as well.

Time for an upgrade Marriott!

Room Tip: make sure you examine first, then upack
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank peggy b
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Ms. Peggy-
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. We are happy you enjoyed out beautiful waterfront location. We are happy to inform you that our hotel will be renovated next fall. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I'm a travel agent and have stayed at the property back when it was a Hyatt. The location, staff, our room etc were excellent.
Staff - everyone smiled and all spoke to us - very refreshing
Location-I have always been a Palmetto Dunes person, so for me the location is great. We could walk down to the convenient store for breakfast each morning-great, inexpensive
Room-the property is older, but the room was clean, beds were comfortable, and there was a small frig for snacks.
Room Location - do not let anyone tell you that a room on the 3rd floor is "oceanfront"
we arrived at 130am and was given an "oceanfront" room on the 3rd floor, I looked out said no way and went back down to the desk. The evening attendent was very nice and moved us to the 7th floor.
In my world, the defination of an "oceanfront" is full view with no obstruction. When booking an oceanfront room at the property you want to request floors 6 thru 10 and ask for for north end of the building away from the extention.

Room Tip: Oceanfront - request floors 6 thru 10
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank maxford
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Maxford-
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that we were able to move you onto a higher floor to provide your preferred view. Glad to hear you love Palmetto Dunes, too- it's a great neighborhood in a central location to so much on Hilton Head. We value your feedback and thank you again.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

When we checked in to this hotel, we were immediately warmly greeted by the valet and staff outside. Inside, the front desk clerk was eager to assign us to the best room available and other staff members were circulating offering us afternoon snacks. However, when we entered the upgraded room, we found it to be very musty and damp. We called downstairs and within muinutes were greeted by a bellman who showed us to an ocean front room on a higher floor. While this room did need some updating, the view more than made up for the decor. We enjoyed the beach location and spent a relaxing afternoon at the pool. The breakfast buffet was up to Marriott standards with a variety of breakfast breads, fruit, eggs, and an omelet station. The staff in the restaurant was also very welcoming and attentive.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be less prone to the mustiness and dampness of other floors. Ocean front rooms ar...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RachelGC
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Ms. Rachel-
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with you and thank you for the huge compliment to our staff. We will be undergoing a rooms renovation next fall, so we hope to see you again! All the best from Hilton Head Island

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We got there very early (5 hours from Atlanta and a 5:00 am start to avoid traffic), as we wanted an entire beach day.

I was expecting to check our luggage and wait for a bit, but a room was unexpectedly ready.

High floor - great view of the ocean - what more can you ask for?

The weather cooperated, as October days are it-or-miss, but it was swimsuit weather so the family was happy.

Liz at the front desk was great and seemed to genuinely want to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.

Our next day was at a hotel in Savannah, and we actually contemplated changing it to stay an extra night in HH.

I do agree with other reviewers that the rooms themselves don't look new, but we don't spend too much time in the room and didn't have a problem with it.

A tip for noise in general... there are free apps you can download that have sounds of nature or the ocean... just like expensive sound machines but you use your moble device. I always have that cranked up when i travel.

We can't wait to go back to this property!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Bernstein Family-
Thank you for your feedback; we truly value our guest and find their feedback to be invaluable. We are delighted to hear that you had an extraordinary stay. We appreciate your travel tips, so that others guests can also have a fantastic trip! Can’t wait to you again!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

So torn about this review! We just had an excellent long weekend here with our 8yr. old twins, but if I'm being honest the hotel is very run down, dated and I suspect a bit dirty overall. I'm actually surprised they're still able to keep the Marriott name (I believe it's a franchise property).

Upside: the staff! Wow! What great service we had the entire weekend!! It started with the bellmen who greeted us and then continued with Linda at the front desk. I loved that she actually took a few extra minutes to get us the room type we requested. As Marriott Platinum members we're entitled to an upgrade if available and most of the time we hear, "sorry, no upgrade is available". It was nice to see an employee value the (far too) many nights my husband spends in Marriotts every year. The bellman who brought our luggage was very friendly and offered some great tips and advice about the property and surrounding area, but .... he put our suitcases on the beds which is kind of gross in my opinion. They're so dirty from travel that I certainly don't want them left on our beds. (Small gripe). The staff at the pool was top-notch. Tessa was a stand-out. She served us lunch twice and was great despite being VERY busy with a large station. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, informative and went out of their way to welcome us.

The poolside restaurant is very good. Great drinks, cold beers, good kids menu, good adult food, RELATIVELY reasonable prices. The breakfast buffet on the ground floor restaurant was also very good. The service there was excellent as well. We ate mostly off-property (The Hilton Head Diner is very close and very good for breakfast), but you would be fine if you never wanted to venture out.

The beach of course is gorgeous. We drove to the resort so we had our own beach chairs and "gear", but they did have rentals available. The pools were great, too. Plenty of chairs available on the really nice, large deck area. The indoor pool area was really nice, too. Not that humid, hot, chlorine-stinky greenhouse you sometimes find at indoor pools. The pool bathrooms could use a visit from housekeeping a few more times a day, they were always a bit of a mess. ..... Try not to miss chilling out in the hammock yard for a bit while your there .... SO nice!

We had an ocean front room on the 5th floor. Stellar view, huge balcony, large(ish) room. It was very dated and a bit beat up (peeling paint, frayed carpet, MANY holes in the "light blocking" drapes (which my kids thought looked like stars so there's an upside I guess). We're talking 1980's dated though, not 1960's dated so it was ok. I can imagine if you don't have the beach to gaze out at the room would look a lot worse to you. A/C worked fine, good sized mini fridge, nice TV, good shower water pressure, big closets, plenty of outlets for all our tech-crap. Hopefully they'll install some lighting on the balconies during the renovations. It was pitch black out there at night. Impossible to read or enjoy a cocktail (which we like to do after the kids fall asleep). The mattresses were older so if you've been spoiled by all the fancy beds hotels have now consider yourself warned (and pack your backache painkiller of choice). The room appeared clean, but what I saw elsewhere in the hotel made me think twice about that.

The loading dock / maintenance area was right next to the guest bike racks. I was looking for someone who might be able to direct me to an air pump for my tires so I walked over there ..... DISGUSTING. I know it's not a guest area, but it's certainly plainly visible to guests and to me it was a big red flag. There was trash and garbage everywhere on the ground and in the dumpster truck area. I'm not talking about the truck was just there picking up and some trash spilled, I'm talking about years of never cleaning or pressure-washing the dock area. The whole area was just a disorganized junkyard. I can't imagine a G.M. allowing there to be such a breeding ground for pests in the delivery/service area of the resort. It really made me pray the Chef and Director of Housekeeping had a better handle on their back of the house areas. When we were checking out we saw a giant cockroach in the 5th floor guest hallway. Normally, I would not think much of it (IT WAS THE ONLY ONE WE SAW ALL WEEKEND and after all this is the South), but after seeing the dock area it made me wonder if there isn't a larger cleanliness / pest problem overall.

I've read here that the hotel is about to go under renovations. They are certainly needed, but in the mean time if you get a good rate and don't care to spend much time in your room I don't think you would be too put-off. I feel like a lot of the highly negative reviews of this property were exaggerated. I almost canceled our reservations after reading many of them, but all in all I'm glad I didn't.

Room Tip: "Ocean Front" ... NOT just "Ocean View" if you can swing it.
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My family and I have been staying here for 5 years now for summer vacations and short fall weekends. We missed this summer's trip, but just spent a nice long weekend at the HH Marriott. The staff was excellent as usual, very friendly and courteous. However, the rooms are rapidly showing their age. No vents in the bathroom, making them steamy and slippery; the carpet smelled musty; rooms, including ceilings need repainting; overflowing toilet; and unfortunately, a rather large roach crawling all over the bedroom floor (we were on the 4th, but never had this problem before). I would like to see a list of what is going to be done to update and upgrade the rooms next year.

Room Tip: try to get up high

Dear Mr. Dave,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your experiences at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We are delighted to have you as a repeat guest and hope to share many more memories with your family. We are happy to report that we will be undergoing a renovation beginning next fall. We are also currently addressing all or the minor issues you mentioned in your review in all of our guest rooms. We can’t wait see you and your family again.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Having read all of the reviews was surprised to find our ocean front room in as good shape as it was. But a hotel filled with teenagers slamming doors, partying in rooms, yelling in the halls and slamming doors all night ruined an otherwise great experience. Had to call the front desk twice with little or no effect. I spend over 100 nights per year in Marriotts, and continue to be disappointed with how they are run. May be making a switch to another frequent stay program soon.

Room Tip: Ocean front is spectacular view but above noisy pool area

Dear Mr. 676 Mike,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. We are delighted to hear that the view and room exceeded your expectations. We are disappointed to learn of the trouble you encountered with the pool noise; we will use this feedback as a training and learning tool to improve for the future. We truly hope to see you again.