“My New Choice for a Perfect Tennis Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Hilton Head
Charleston, South Carolina
“My New Choice for a Perfect Tennis Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Being a hospitality professional I often find myself being overly critical of hoteliers and restaurant professionals. I cannot say enough good things about my experience at this hotel! From the moment I drove up to the time we departed every aspect of our stay was top notch! The staff all convey a genuine desire to please and serve their guests! We were treated with an amuse bouche of crab cake while waiting for an elevator! Upon returning from a morning walk on the beach we were offered ice cold bottled water, fresh fruit and a towel. It's the unanticipated niceties that elevate the guest experience. The Marriott staff excelled in this area. The property is well laid out and features all the amenities one would expect of an oceanfront property. The spa is a huge bonus! The steam room and sauna are a delightful amenity after a long day on the tennis courts. The resort is conveniently located within a two minute walk to the Palmetto Dunes tennis center. The oceanfront pools provide ample seating and areas to relax and take in the oceanfront breezes. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and were pristine clean. I cannot wait to return to this property for another tennis vacation on Hilton Head Island!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Ms. Kiawahkat-
Thank you for your five star review of our property. We are delighted you were able to enjoy all our resort has to offer; tennis, amazing views, spa, beach, and much more! Thank you for the compliments to our staff! We can't wait to see you next time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay and I again found the staff to be pleasant & accommodating. I think it's time for some serious upgrades/renovations. I was downgraded from a king to a double full, which didn't make me happy. Begs to question why would this 3 star hotel have full mattresses in 2013?!? The beach and the inside bar made up for my frustrations. I would return again, but will be sure to specify my need for a king.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Caleb M
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here 4 nights and was impressed by the very large freshly scented lobby with it's beautiful furniture. Much care is taken to keep the public places looking great. I was overwhelmed with the LONG walk from the self parking area up a steep ramp to arrive at the front entrance, avoiding to pay the valet parking. However, there is plenty of handicapped parking near the front entrance available, which was empty the entire time we were there.
. Our room request wasn't satisfactory upon checking in late , and we were told that they had an upgrade the following day, but it had 2 double beds and no king. We decided to stay in the first room with the king bed because it was late and ,to avoid having to pack and unpack again. Our personal profile has asked to be away from vending machines and the elevator, but both were right next to our room. Our partial view of of ocean also had a view of the parking lot below and other balconies facing ours across the way. The door to our room did not open or close properly and you needed force for it to move. The shower drain was clogged and the shower didn't function properly with the tub faucet. The room was clean. The menu on the TV remote didn't allow us to recieve any movies. We did go to the front desk to complain and the girl said she was sorry and would reduce our rate to $159. However, we were only reduced for 2 nights instead of 4. I feel that they were not ready for us and were not up to the task. This means alot to me when checking in. I expect the room that I asked for to be ready and everything should be working properly.
On the plus side, the bar had great, cheerful service and good food and the pools and surrounding areas were very well attended to. Lots of sitting areas to admire the beautiful beach. There was a self serve coffee and Krispy Kreme counter downstairs.
I enjoy staying in Hilton Head but need a more relaxing room to stay in. There are so many hotels to choose from where we have happily stayed before ( and will stay in again), but just not enough pluses for me to stay at the Marriott again..

Room Tip: Use valet parking to avoid the steep ramp from the self parking lot.
Walpole, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband & I went back here for our 15th wedding anniversary. The hotel and pool area have really not changed in 15 years!!! Marriot - time for an upgrade. The beds were still very comfortable and staff was inviting and helpful. We enjoyed ourselves but expected more from a 4 star resort.

The coffee shop brewed fresh Starbucks every morning. My favorite part of day was the morning coffee and looking out over the ocean as the sun rays danced over it. You can't beat the spot!!

Ms. Jen-
Thank you for your review. We are glad to here you were able to enjoy our amazing beachfront views with a cup of fresh Starbucks. We will be undergoing a renovation next fall and we hope you visit us agin to see the improvements.
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was our second stay at this location... our first visit almost exactly a year ago. The location is still magnificent and overall we very much enjoyed our two night stay...high floor / oceanfront view room (to us, worth the extra cost). However, I would have to agree with many of my co-raters that this property needs some upgrade effort in the near future. Couple of reasons for this comment... loose toilet seat, door lock that failed upon our late night return to our room (took an hour to get us in and to get it fixed) and room service that didn't occur until 6 PM. Was a little disappointed that none of those deficiencies resulted in any form of compensation... after all, this is supposed to be a luxury hotel and we certainly paid a luxury price for our stay. I would really give this property a 3 1/2 rating if I could. Hopefully some improvements will be made in the near future as we'd like to return there some day. Couple of tips... bring your own beach chairs (very pricey to rent 2 chairs and an umbrella from the hotel) and unless you want the big, pricey hotel breakfast, walk 5 minutes down the road to the General Store where you'll find some very tasty, inexpensive alternatives. Oh yeah, I was glad (surprised) that there wasn't a charge for parking this time around...(off-season?)...but it's still a bit of a walk from the self park lot.

1 Thank Stratguy
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This hotel has been a family escape for many years. It is showing it's age, just like me. The walls were plastered so many times that there were actual hills in the wall. The shower had holes through the wall as well.

Time for an upgrade Marriott!

Room Tip: make sure you examine first, then upack
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank peggy b
Ms. Peggy-
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. We are happy you enjoyed out beautiful waterfront location. We are happy to inform you that our hotel will be renovated next fall. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I'm a travel agent and have stayed at the property back when it was a Hyatt. The location, staff, our room etc were excellent.
Staff - everyone smiled and all spoke to us - very refreshing
Location-I have always been a Palmetto Dunes person, so for me the location is great. We could walk down to the convenient store for breakfast each morning-great, inexpensive
Room-the property is older, but the room was clean, beds were comfortable, and there was a small frig for snacks.
Room Location - do not let anyone tell you that a room on the 3rd floor is "oceanfront"
we arrived at 130am and was given an "oceanfront" room on the 3rd floor, I looked out said no way and went back down to the desk. The evening attendent was very nice and moved us to the 7th floor.
In my world, the defination of an "oceanfront" is full view with no obstruction. When booking an oceanfront room at the property you want to request floors 6 thru 10 and ask for for north end of the building away from the extention.

Room Tip: Oceanfront - request floors 6 thru 10
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank maxford
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Maxford-
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that we were able to move you onto a higher floor to provide your preferred view. Glad to hear you love Palmetto Dunes, too- it's a great neighborhood in a central location to so much on Hilton Head. We value your feedback and thank you again.