“Room was fine, grounds were great, wi-fi only blemish”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Baltimore, Maryland
“Room was fine, grounds were great, wi-fi only blemish”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights which would probably be my limit without a kitchen. I was a bit fearful based on prior comments about dated decor but perhaps I got a better room since I was using points and have gold status with Marriott. Our ocean view room was typical of any Marriott, no issues but internet was spotty. When I called to complain, the response was a bit snotty - "well your $15 fee covers many things and besides you can come to the lobby to use the wifi"

The grounds are great - poolside had plenty of chairs, they had entertainment (they do not seem to enforce no outside food/drink), towel service is great in fact some people seemed to be quite rude leaving towels all over the beach. Good capacity on the showers and responsive bar service and several activities. You can rent bikes just outside the property (must do activity both on the beach and in the neighborhood) and the general store near the bike store has sandwiches and food at reasonable prices

We loved Hilton Head, we had never been here before, it's deeply wooded, too bad the weather didn't allow golf.

We're coming back to HH, maybe to buy!

Room Tip: Rent bikes just down Queen's Folly Rd. Same for general store - good prices there
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Turkish first
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a brief stay at the Marriott Resort and had an enjoyable time. Our stay was not long but long enough to enjoy the beach and to tour the resort. We had a very nice ocean front room on the ninth floor which was wonderful. My only critical comment would be that they close their lounges poolside way too early which makes it difficult to enjoy their wonderful ocean side patio and beach. Our other critical comment is that internet connectivity inside the resort if very very weak. We had to go outside to have any ability to connect for cell and internet. Word has it that they are due to begin a major upgrade/rebuild of the hotel which would be good.

We would visit again particularly if after their remodel.

Room Tip: Check to see if they are remodeling if thinking of visiting
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank J S
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights at a very good rate. The grounds and beach access are phenomenal, and the staff was great, very friendly and helpful. The rooms themselves are average with upgrades needed. However would stay again and I am very interested to see what the hotel becomes after renovations.

Stayed July 2014
Davidson, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our family has stayed at this hotel many times over the years and we have never been disappointed. Earlier this week my husband and I came down for two days and it was as pleasant a stay as always. We had an oceanfront room (worth the extra $) that was clean, roomy and comfortable with a very nice deck and what a view! We had lunch by the pool, served by a very friendly waiter. The breakfast buffet is priced very reasonably and it was a pleasure to be greeted (as we have been in the past) by Isa. We always enjoy chatting with her. The other hostess who we always enjoy seeing, Shirley, was on vacation. Hope we see you next time, Shirley! The front desk personnel who checked us in and out were extremely helpful and pleasant. The elevators are pretty fast too! We understand that the hotel will be renovated in the fall. We will continue to return to this Marriott.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was my first time visiting this location. I arrived at the resort the week of 4th of July. My room wasn't ready when I first arrived but staff was helpful and worked to get me in another room. The short walk to the beach was wonderful, yes the beach was just steps away. we didn't have trouble getting an umbrella. After spending a few hours at the beach we went to enjoy 1 of the 4 pools that the hotel offered. I received great service from the poolside bar. I didn't eat at any of the restaurants at the hotel but did enjoy great food from nearby restaurants, Crazy Crab and Skull Head Boathouse was the best. My first night there after just settling into bed about 1:10a I heard a noise that ended up being the fire alarm. It didn't sound like a fire alarm after the alarm was going off for about 2 or 3 minutes someone came on to the intercom and announced that the a situation had occurred but it was being handled and that everyone still needed to evacuate the hotel. come to found out someone was smoking in the nonsmoking hotel. was very disappointed with whomever. Arrived back to my room and realized that I didn't pick up a key so I had to go back down stairs to get a new key. Once I was back to my room another alarm went off for another 2 to 3 minutes before someone else came onto the intercom to state that the alarms were being reset...the only suggestion I have is that soon as the alarm goes off someone come on the intercom don't allow the intercom to keep going off for so long before making announcement. Overall I enjoyed our stay and would be returning.

1 Thank datgyrl D
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had a wonderful week stay at the Marriott. We had a great ocean view room with balcony. The room was spacious enough, clean and comfortable. We ate most lunches at the poolside restaurant and every meal was great. It did get busy on July 4th with so many people, it took a bit longer for our food, but we didn't mind. The staff was always smiling, friendly and helpful. We also ate dinner at Conroy's in the hotel and again, no complaints. Staff was extremely friendly and food was very tasty. Breakfast buffet available in the morning for $18 adult/$7 kids (I think it was even less for small children under 5) in the Cafe restaurant. Not much within walking distance to the hotel. You will definitely need a car or bike. There may be a shuttle that runs from the Marriott over to Shelter Cove, which may be worth asking about as there are more restaurant choices there. Bike rentals on site. The beach was beautiful. Nice clean sand and warm ocean water. The waves were not too big and water not too deep even at high tide. I would suggest the hotel purchase more umbrellas for the pool area. There is lots of shade due to trees, but also many areas in the sun all day. We didn't have trouble getting an umbrella earlier in the week, but as things got busier around the 4th holiday, people were "hogging" the umbrellas (ie 2-3 per family unit). We eventually got one, but after returning from the pool, someone took it. My suggestion is if you need to leave your chair for a dip in the water, ask someone nearby to watch over your chairs and umbrella, otherwise they may not be there when you get back! Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room. It's worth the extra money.
Moorestown, NJ
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is our third time staying at this marriott location and we love it! The staff make it so pleasant. Liana at the front desk checked us in fast and even allowed us to view two rooms before we chose! She was so helpful. Kitty and Dawn were such a pleasure at the concierge, talking to my children for quite some time each day. Courtney was an awesome activities planner for the kids! She was always so happy, with a smile on her face, even with the heat and stress of keeping the kiddies entertained! My would like to thank Tanya and Chris at the pool bar who were quick and friendly despite the 4th of July busy season. We will be sure to return and can't wait to see the renovations!

1 Thank kellyk1031