On a recent road trip, we stayed at the Marriott Resort & Spa at Hilton Head. We got a great deal on the room, so that really factors into my overall review: I think that had we paid more, I'd have been disappointed.
The resort has the standard amenities one would expect, so what REALLY stood out to me during our visit was how great the staff was (management must be doing their jobs right!). The doormen, front desk, pool/bar and cleaning staff were incredibly polite. Maybe its just because I lived on the east coast for so long (and now in Chicago), but I haven't experienced consistent, polite and friendly interactions with so many people in one establishment since, well, the last time I was down south.
Anyway, this is important: when I am on vacation, I want to reduce stress, and friendly, proactive staff are one of the first things on my list of "must-haves." For example, I forgot my phone charger in the room when we checked out. I got to the car, turned around and went to the desk to ask for a key. I took the elevator up and went to the room. No dice! And there was the maid just down the hall -- she saw me pop out of the room and asked if I'd forgotten a charger, went to her cart and handed it to me with a smile. She was already on her way to take it to lost and found. She could have just as easily thrown it away or kept it. The list goes on, but all of our interactions were like that: plain friendly, polite and proactive.
The beach was great, the poolside bar drinks were good (and not terribly overpriced, oddly enough) and the live music was really entertaining while the afternoon turned to dusk.
But. There were some hiccups. First, as others have mentioned, the rooms do smell a little musty. I've experienced the same at a number of beach resorts and I chalk it up to the humidity and the fact that yes, people do keep the sliding glass doors open for fresh air and the sounds of the ocean. The bathroom could have used some updating, as the grout was a little old and dingy, but you could tell that the cleaning crew kept things clean. The AC was a little noisy, and you could hear through the doors/walls more than I'd have hoped, but I've experienced MUCH worse.
We did have some excitement late one night when the fire alarm went off -- someone had started a fire on their balcony. The only feedback I have there is that I think the hotel could have done a little better communicating where people should assemble, and then, when we could go back in after the all-clear. Other than that, no drama.
Again, the price was really great, and nothing marred the trip. I'd stay there again in the future and probably try to stay at least three days and two nights to really get to experience the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a premier oceanfront hotel at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. Our world-class resort in Hilton Head, SC offers you an island escape in utter paradise. Enjoy newly renovated guestrooms, award-winning dining, three championship golf courses and spa. In addition, our distinctive Hilton Head oceanfront hotel's staff always delivers superior service to make your stay even more special. Our outstanding family-friendly retreat also offers a wide array of impressive amenities, including golf, tennis, biking, parasailing and so much more. Take advantage of our unbeatable location and enjoy easy access to a variety of nearby destinations, including local airports, shopping and popular tourist attractions. Plus, this Hilton Head resort provides dynamic event spaces, creating an ideal location to host your celebration or professional conference. Experience supreme relaxation and scenic views at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Head Marriott Resort And Spa
- Hilton Head Marriott Hotel Hilton Head
- Marriott Hilton Head