“Great staff, aging accomodations”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed 5 August 2014

On a recent road trip, we stayed at the Marriott Resort & Spa at Hilton Head. We got a great deal on the room, so that really factors into my overall review: I think that had we paid more, I'd have been disappointed.

The resort has the standard amenities one would expect, so what REALLY stood out to me during our visit was how great the staff was (management must be doing their jobs right!). The doormen, front desk, pool/bar and cleaning staff were incredibly polite. Maybe its just because I lived on the east coast for so long (and now in Chicago), but I haven't experienced consistent, polite and friendly interactions with so many people in one establishment since, well, the last time I was down south.

Anyway, this is important: when I am on vacation, I want to reduce stress, and friendly, proactive staff are one of the first things on my list of "must-haves." For example, I forgot my phone charger in the room when we checked out. I got to the car, turned around and went to the desk to ask for a key. I took the elevator up and went to the room. No dice! And there was the maid just down the hall -- she saw me pop out of the room and asked if I'd forgotten a charger, went to her cart and handed it to me with a smile. She was already on her way to take it to lost and found. She could have just as easily thrown it away or kept it. The list goes on, but all of our interactions were like that: plain friendly, polite and proactive.

The beach was great, the poolside bar drinks were good (and not terribly overpriced, oddly enough) and the live music was really entertaining while the afternoon turned to dusk.

But. There were some hiccups. First, as others have mentioned, the rooms do smell a little musty. I've experienced the same at a number of beach resorts and I chalk it up to the humidity and the fact that yes, people do keep the sliding glass doors open for fresh air and the sounds of the ocean. The bathroom could have used some updating, as the grout was a little old and dingy, but you could tell that the cleaning crew kept things clean. The AC was a little noisy, and you could hear through the doors/walls more than I'd have hoped, but I've experienced MUCH worse.

We did have some excitement late one night when the fire alarm went off -- someone had started a fire on their balcony. The only feedback I have there is that I think the hotel could have done a little better communicating where people should assemble, and then, when we could go back in after the all-clear. Other than that, no drama.

Again, the price was really great, and nothing marred the trip. I'd stay there again in the future and probably try to stay at least three days and two nights to really get to experience the resort.

Room Tip: High level, oceanview if you can. Watch for deals on the Internet!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuperN0VA
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback. Our staff is some of the best around and we continually train and hold our associates to the highest standards.

Some of the hiccups you mentioned will be addressed during our renovations. We will be updating our rooms starting this fall.

As for the fire alarm, it certainly is an inconvenience and we sincerely apologize. But as I'm sure you would agree, better safe than sorry.

We hope for your return to stay in our wonderful, updated rooms.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is in a fantastic location, right on the beach. Being in Hilton Head, I had expected it to be nicer than what we previously had in Myrtle Beach. Here were the issues:

The bad...
* Rooms are definitely dated and need an update
* The pool was closed for over a day with no warning
* The fitness room is tiny
* Service is questionable
- we were guaranteed an ocean front room and did not receive it when we arrived
- my son asked for table tennis paddles - they said they would bring them down - he sat there for an hour and they did not show - he went back up and they said they didn't have any more - terribly handled!
* Very loud air system in rooms
* No concierge lounge

The good...
* Location on the beach
* Parking included in resort fee
* Pool food prices reasonable (not so much for drinks)
* Some children's activities

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room as the ocean view rooms are low floors and hard to see the ocean from
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CosmoVictors
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear CosmoVictors,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We appreciate any and all feedback that we receive from our guest, in hopes that we can only improve ourselves with each visit.

Thank you for your positive comments over our location and kids activities. We strive to excel so it is nice to know what was liked and disliked during your visit. I'm terribly sorry about the issues you faced during your visit.

Due to a mechanical error, that we could not predict, the pool was shut down briefly. I understand how frustrating this was and that you were hoping to not have to deal with such an issue on vacation, however, for the safety of the patrons, it was best to not enter the pool during this time. We worked hard to get it back in order as quickly as we could so everyone could continue to enjoy their time at our pool.

We are receiving renovations this fall and are very excited to see the final product. We are confident that these areas in question on your post will be up to our highest expectations.

We hope to see you again in the future so that we can prove to you that our hotel and staff will take the measures needed to make your stay brilliant, and we will exceed all of your expectations.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We just spent 5 nights at this hotel. The view and location are amazing, beach access couldn't be better. Was disappointed with the pukes of towels and uncleanliness around the pool, but it was extremely busy. Rooms are huge, upcoming renovations will be great. Was upset with wifi, didn't work the entire time, but they did reimburse the resort fee. We might look to go back and see how the updates have changes the place.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Steve D,

Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa, we appreciate your loyalty. While we pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations, we have obviously failed you and for that we sincerely apologize. I'm pleased to see that the beach and pool areas throughout the property were enjoyed as well as our location.

I’m terribly sorry about the issues you encountered during your stay. It must have been terribly frustrating for you and your family to deal with. I will make sure that your concerns are passed on to the appropriate managers so that we may ensure that this incident is not repeated.

When we receive our renovations this fall, we will also be updating our WiFi capabilities to be able to provide our guest with a speedier connection.

It is my hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you that we are not at all what was first perceived and we will show you how great your experience can be.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have stayed here for many years and this will be our last. The property is very run down and worn. The pool water was green and had to be drained and refilled which last two days. We were told so many different times that it would be up and running. The pool was still green after all the work that I did not feel that it was sanitary. We left at this point and went to another hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful but felt as though they needed many more people working as towels were piled up everywhere the tables at the pool were not cleaned and the restrooms were dirty. Very disappointed and will not be coming back. The view ocean front is gorgeous and it is such a shame that this property has not been maintained.

Room Tip: The rooms on the fifth floor ocean front have a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathy S
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for choosing to spend your time at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. While we pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations, we have obviously failed you and for that we sincerely apologize.
I’m terribly sorry about the issues you encountered during your stay. It must have been terribly frustrating for you and your family to deal with. We had experienced a slight mechanical issue with our pool, but everything has been repaired and it is crystal clear.
We are scheduled for a renovation in the Fall of 2014, with intentions to update our guest rooms as well as our internet services so that we may provide a speedier connection for all. We are very much looking forward to providing our guests with a fresh and new product. We hope that you will visit again. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a ocean front room on the 5th floor. Great view...that was about the best we could report. The room was damp and musty. The staff chalked it up to the hot and humid summer and previous guests who probably left the balcony door open. I don't think so. We were there for five nights and the room never dried up. Towels and swim wear didn't dry after 24 hours. We ended up getting a dehumidifier which helped. We didn't move because the hotel was sold out and it would be inconvenient given our schedule. The room was worn, furniture nicked up, towels old. We were really disappointed for the $350+ per night we paid. The staff was great...friendly and helpful. We expressed our disappointment in the room and did get a night comped. They charge $15 a day for parking and a $15 resort fee. Feels like getting nickled and dimed. Just add it to the room rate.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

We are scheduled for a renovation in the Fall of 2014. We are very much looking forward to providing our guests with a fresh, new product. We hope that you will visit again. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My family has come here for the final two nights of our Hilton Head vacation for the past 8 years. We have always looked forward to the great pool, ambiance, and the beach. This past weekend we were greatly shocked to see that the rooms have yet to be improved AT ALL -they not only look the same, but some details are much worse. For instance, our room was SO musty that a dehumidifier is necessary. We slept terribly sieve the mattresses are sinking in. Even my ten year old daughter begged to sleep on the floor. We understand there is a major renovation starting in September, so we will give it a try next year. We are upset we used our Marriott points to stay ocean front and didn't get the quality of stay that it cost us. As frequent Marriott guests, we can safely say this hotel does NOT live up to our typical Marriott experiences. Changes-not just physical-should be made to this location to live up to its Marriott classification. It has HUGE potential.

Room Tip: The top floors offer a great view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank qdog0413

Dear qdog0413,

Thank you so much for your feedback over your recent visit, and also, thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. Without feedback from our loyal guest we may not see in where we need to make improvements.

I'm terribly sorry that you were disappointed in your stay this year, but very happy to see that we can count on your return next year.

Yes, we will be receiving room renovations this coming fall and we are very excited to provide our guest with a fresh, new product. I fully understand your concerns but feel everything will be put to rest once the update is complete.

Thank you again for your comments and loyalty. We look forward to your return next year!

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We take our annual family vacation here, sometimes with extended family and sometimes not. Some years have been better than others but this year, something really went wrong. Our room was clean but musty and housekeeping did a fine job. The wait staff at the pool area has been reduced so service was alittle slower. The pool was so green when we arrived, I assumed it was intentional until my adult kids told me how filthy it was. The next day it was drained and out of use for most of the day. If I had young children, I wouldn't be comfortable with them in the pool. How does it get to this point before someone attends to it? Also, the pool and beach area had mountains of dirty blue towels all over. The first day, I felt sympathetic for the staff. By the next day when they weren't removed until late evening, I was annoyed. Looked like a dump and ruined the view from the beach. This isn't a 300.00 a night property. Our deck was dirty and in need of paint and plaster work. I didn't see the usual children's activities I've seen in the past. Really miss the coffee/snack shop on the 1st floor. Now you need to go into the gift shop and wait in a long line for coffee, etc. I hope I don't get a canned response about the upcoming renovation since our biggest issues were with service and mgnt, not the physical facility. Frankly, I don't understand why the owner of the property (this is a franchised resort) doesn't address the reviews but instead the Managment is given this chore.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank PMSEACOAST
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for your stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. I am sorry for the issues you have experienced during your stay. Respectfully management does not want to give you a response through TripAdvisor per your request. If you would like to contact the hotel directly we can talk about the issues you did have.