“Good, fantastic location”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We just returned from our trio to Hilton Head and the Marriott Resort and Spa. We selected this location based upon Fodor's and Frommer's recommendations. I admit that I read some Trip Advisor reviews prior to our departure and was concerned at what we might find upon our arrival. We did not experience any delays when we checked in, nor had any issues with valets and leaving our car in front of the hotel. In fact, the let us leave our car there while we brought our bags to our room.

While this hotel will be undergoing a renovation this fall, I am truly surprised Marriott let this hotel get to the state it is. We had a king room suite. We did not have any room odors, but did have deep scratches in the coffe table, drawers that didn't open or close propery and a door which required brute strength to open and close. The most annoying feature of the room was the shower. We never had a consistent shower, it varied from ice cold to steaming hot during each and every shower.

Our biggest frustrations were the wi-fi and maid service, as it was so inconsistent as to what items they would replace or clean. Thankfully we timed our return to our room well and the housekeeping carts were still in the hallway. We were able to replace towels, coffee, etc. As far as the wi-fi, I found the poor service truly unacceptable. I had no issues with signal/ speed off the property, but on the property, especially by the pool was just terrible.

We had the breakfast buffett twice, which I found pricey and low quality given the price. Our second and last time had many empty chaffing dishes. We also overheard some bickering among the staff.

I found the pool area quite small given the size of the hotel. We experienced 100 degree temps during our stay, and finding any chaise lounges under an umbrella required an early trip to the pool. The lounge chairs were situated very close to each other. If you wanted peace and quiet you needed to venture to the beach and spend around $30 for two chairs and an umbrella to rent for the day.

All that said, none of the issues I mentioned impacted our ability to enjoy this beautiful location. We found most of the staff warm and friendly. The concierge staff was exceptional, especially Martha.

I do hope this upcoming renovation turns the state of this hotel around. The location really cannot be beat. It is still sad Marriott let this location fall into such disrepair.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna G
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Dee S,

First, and foremost, thank you for your feedback from your stay. We are always looking to exceed and without guest comments we would not know where we may need improving. We appreciate all of your positive comments. It is always nice to see when we have succeeded in the eyes of our guests.

As you know, we are receiving renovations this fall and are very excited to see the final product. We are confident that these areas in question on recent posts from past guests will be up to our highest expectations. While we wait on the needed updates on the physical aspects, I know that our staff and the service we deliver has never changed. We still strive to go beyond expectations and take that extra step to show guests that we are unlike any other Marriott.

As for our Wi-Fi connections, we will also be updating them during our renovations. Technology plays a large part in our everyday lives, not just those of our business travelers and we are equally excited to provide a faster connection available for all.

We hope to see you in the future. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel has a lot to offer (liked the 2 pools, pool bar, large pool deck, live poolside music, close proximity to beach), but sleep is not one of them! Their ancient mattresses were so uncomfortable that a good night's rest was not possible. I asked if we could move to another room with a better mattress, and was told that they plan to update soon, but all mattresses were dated!

Room Tip: Get the rooms with a view...ocean front...after they update all their mattresses!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear ForestVANancy,

Thank for you choosing to stay with us here at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback over your recent stay. We appreciate your positive comments over the hotel and property.

I'm terribly sorry for the uncomfortable nights sleep. A good nights rest is important to get the day started and I'm sorry you could not find satisfaction. Once we receive our renovations our mattresses will be new as well. We always can have our maintenance staff make the beds more firm. I apologize that this was not offered to you.

We hope to see you in the future. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

After reading the reviews, I was skeptical of booking our 4 day stay. The price was right and the location was terrific so I decided to give it a chance. Glad we did. I certainly don't understand all the naysayers who gave it a poor rating. Our ocean view room on the 3rd floor was clean and cheerful and well decorated. Nothing shabby about this place. The service was tops and in particular, the valets who greeted us like seasoned veterans of the hotel (Brandon in particular). The front desk was always willing to give us advise and answer any questions we had about anything (Al, you were great). The beach is beautiful and I doubt you'll find a better location on the island.

Room Tip: There are so many outstanding restaurants outside of the complex that I wouldn't waste my meals...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank awsm
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This place is a TRAIN WRECK and not ONE of the management - not Matthew, Patrick, Trevel (sp?) or the Director of Operations (Pam, I think?) - care AT ALL about the deplorable condition of their hotel and certainly not about their guests who are subjected to it.

When we checked in, I gave the front desk clerk (Trevel?) my baggage "pink" slip and he said he'd have our bags brought to the room. We walked into the Suite (8th floor) and the overwhelming musty, mold stench was like a gut-punch. I called downstairs and the girl said they knew about the musty smell problem. I asked if they'd send up Febreeze so that it would neutralize the odor. Instead, they sent up some other spray that made the room smell like VOMIT and mold.

We still hadn't gotten our luggage and there were no linens for the fold out sofa, so I called back down and asked about luggage and she asked if I'd given the pink slip to the desk clerk b/c she had no record that we'd requested our luggage. We learned later from the valet guy that Trevel(?) told them I hadn't given the ticket but Trevel denied that later - clearly no one knows what is going on at this hotel!!

Since the smell was still so bad, I called the front desk for asked for Febreeze instead but the guy came back with 2 different awful smelling "bio" sprays and sprayed the rooms so much that the carpet and tile were slick. Just as this happened the bellman finally came up with the luggage and said how awful the room smelled.

I called down and told them it was so bad we had to leave the room and to have someone from mgmt come up while we were out so he could smell it and then call me when they could move us or fix it. Matthew called later and agreed the smell was terrible and that he had their "engineering team" fix it since they were fully booked and couldn't move us and that he'd be on duty until 11:30 to make sure everything was fixed. We never heard back from Matthew and went to the hotel restaurant to eat. We immediately realized that our clothes smelled like the awful smell- it was so nasty smelling it on ourselves but the gift shop didn't have any body spray. We hoped staying at the restaurant for about 2 hrs would be enough for the smell to lessen but when we went to our room at 11:20, it was just as bad. I called the desk to talk to Matthew but was told he had already left - must be nice to leave your job early instead of fixing the problems....

So fast forward...it's day 2 of our stay here and housekeeping banged on the door this AM asking when we were checking out?? I told her they might be trying to move us but she said it wasn't marked as a move but as a check out. I called downstairs and asked for the mgr on duty (Patrick) but was transferred instead to Pam (I think??), the Director of Operations. Long story short: ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE - about how they'd said sorry, were trying to fix, were moving us to 2 rooms (not the Suite I booked) late this afternoon and that they'd call us when it was ready.

I'm less than confident this will work out - even with a room that doesn't smell, this place is RAGGED OUT with stains on the sofa, a dead (or a very still) cockroach on the wall, torn lampshades, peeling wallpaper....

I've stayed here several times before and clearly, the owners are neck deep in deferred maintenance...I wonder if it's bank-owned now? Or in bankruptcy?

RUN, HIDE...DO ANYTHING BUT STAY HERE!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Teri S

Thank you for your loyalty. We appreciate you choosing to spend your time at the Hilton Head Marriot Resort and Spa. While we pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations, we have obviously failed you and for that we sincerely apologize.

I’m terribly sorry about the issues you encountered during your stay. I assure you that this is not the type of behavior we endorse and I will make sure that your concerns are passed on to the appropriate managers so that we may ensure that this incident is not repeated

Please be aware that we are expecting a renovation in the Fall of 2014. We are excited to provide our loyal members with a fresh and new product. I do hope that we will see you again in the future so that you can truly see what an amazing resort we have to offer. I know we can change your mind given the chance. Thank you again for all your comments.

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Marriott. This will be our first and LAST time staying here! We have traveled to hilton head for the last 5 years and usually stay at the Sonesta! What a difference. Landline phones don't work and Wifi provided by hotel doesn't either! Rooms are not only outdated, but unkempt. Couch was torn exposing cushion and smelled strongly if mildew. Balcony door did not lock and stains on ceilings and walls. You are required to pay a 16/night resort fee for a hotel that is far from a resort! Pool and parking lot overcrowded with people who were NOT guests. When management notified they couldn't have cared less! Management was uncaring and inefficient! Have never reviewed a hotel before, but thought everyone should be cautioned. Sonesta resort is far superior to this place. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Jennm82

Dear Jennm82,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback over your recent stay. I'm terribly sorry for the issues you encountered while being our guest. It is our goal to go above and beyond for everyone and apparently we have failed, and for that we sincerely apologize.

Please be aware that we are expecting renovations this coming fall. We plan to update our rooms and internet connection. We are excited to provide our guest with a fresh, new product and an even speedier internet connection.

We hope to see you again in the future so that we can show what a wonderful experience you can have at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

As a Platinum member who has chosen this hotel as our family vacation spot for the past 5-6 summers, we will no longer be returning. The rooms have been 'dated' since we have been going to Hilton Head to stay at this wonderfully located property. The issues that will keep us from booking it next year are purely operational and maintenance related. The poor experience started on check-in when we were told we were complimentarily upgraded to an ocean view room. I did not like the room we were upgraded to, and when I asked to be moved to a different room I was told no, that there were no other rooms available. After walking away from the desk to discuss with my husband, and returning a few mins later a different person was there, my intention was to request to be 'down graded' back to the room view I booked, however he was able to somehow locate a room in the same upgraded category to move us to that we were comfortable with.

The hotel is dirty - the rooms, the bathrooms in the public areas, the pool was disgusting, disgusting, disgusting. The walls in the pool were thick will grime ... something a simple brush down removes. And the water was green. There was a floating puddle of slime in one of the corners of the dive pool .. literally sludgy slime. An employee was taking a towel every 30 mins or so to try to slop up and scoop the slime out of the corner, he would get a lot of it, yet 30 mins later it was back and so was he with a fresh towel. Some of the kids were playing in the deep dive pool trying to reach the bottom and once they got below 2-3 feet you literally couldn't see they were even in the pool anymore because it was so cloudy and dirty. The deck is cracked and potted with holes, and debris .. old straws, discarded cups, the deck was also covered in mildew in many places, even the potted plants were encircled with mildew and surrounded dirt.

Many of the staff outright lied to us about the state of the pool, not sure if they realized they were lying or not. The second day of our stay after complaining we were told that the pool was to be drained and cleaned overnight to address the dirt and green water problem when we complained. I can barely drain and fill my backyard pool overnight ... there is no way this was even possible and of course we observed that it didn't happen, the pool stayed green and the walls continued to be just as grimy throughout each day of our 4 day stay. The other thing interesting, is that I noticed a response on this site to someone's review indicating that the hotel had 'taken care of the pool cleanliness problem and it was back to clear blue' - I read the review on my phone while sitting in front of the disgusting pool filled with green dirty water.

We had a horrible experience with the wait staff around the pool as well. We waited more then 20 mins for someone to respond to the flag being up on the lounge chair. After no one appeared, I walked to the bar to ask about ordering food and drinks, and we were told to put the flag up. 20 more mins later a waitress walked up and informed us that food service had ended for the night at 8pm and she told me that since it was 8:30 or so that I should walk inside to the restaurant to order food to go. I didn't question this too much, yet as I walked into the lobby I noticed the wall clock reading 8:05 (I didn't check the time while out at the pool, just took her word for it). So we waited approx. 40 mins to get someone to tell me to go to in the lobby to order my own food, when I had first put the flag up it had to be just barely past 7pm .. and when they did come to take an order it was really just mins past the 8pm stop time for food, not 30+ mins. she indicated as the reason for sending me inside.

Every discussion with managers or management, no one really appeared to care at all that we were unhappy. The ONLY shining stars in terms of service during our stay were two employees that really seemed to care .. one was the restaurant manager, Shawn, who took care of us after the pool food thing by comp'ing breakfast for us and the other was a front desk Assistance office manager who I spoke to at length and was the only one who really asked me ever what he could do to make us happier.

I am sadden that this hotel has fallen so far down in quality. In previous years we had so thoroughly enjoyed it and they had always taken the time to rectify issues in a timely manner and we always found the staff forth coming and caring and generally we were treated wonderfully which is consistent with what we have come to expect from the Marriott brand. We were told there have been recent managerial changes, whether these are to address the problems, or the cause of the problems, I wonder about, yet with such a poor experience we will not be returning to find out.

They mentioned several times that a remodel is coming in Oct for the facility, yet its clear that they aren't addressing the customer service issues that exist, as well as the operational and maintenance problems in the facility. I get that the hotel décor and rooms are dated, we don't care that much about that frankly, but dirty unkempt facilities and poor service are simply unacceptable for a hotel at this level in the Marriott system.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Naomi A
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Naomi A,

First off, thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott brand as well as our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to give us an overview of your recent stay. While we pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations, we obviously failed you and for that we sincerely apologize. We do thank you for your valuable feedback and will address these areas immediately.

I understand that the issues you came across must have been very frustrating for you and your family while on vacation. This type of behavior from some of our staff is not endorsed and everyone has been trained to the Marriott standard. I am terribly sorry if your experience left you feeling otherwise. The issues mentioned have been passed on to all of our managers. We want to ensure you and anyone else that chooses to stay at our facility receives top notch service.

I also want to apologize for the condition of our pool during your stay. While we did experience a slight mechanical error,however, everything has been worked out at this time and yes, our pool is back up the way it should be, clear blue.

As you are aware we will be receiving renovations in the fall and are very excited to update our rooms. I understand this experience has left a negative imprint but we are hoping that you will choose us again next year when planning on where to spend your family vacation. Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate any and all comments so that we may look ahead and be better for you next year.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I won a trip from work and chose Hilton Head Island as our destination. We chose to stay at the Marriott Spa & Resort. I've stayed at Marriott's before (and my sister is a Marriott timeshare owner) so I've seen quite a few Marriott's. I figured we would be safe booking this. Boy, was I wrong. We arrived to check in at 4:30 pm. First, it was raining and I discovered their sidewalks are slippery - so slippery that I spent most of the week walking up and down the street instead of on the sidewalk. Of course it's not their fault that it's raining but the paint they coat their sidewalks with is supposed to be non-slip but water makes it extra slippery (so please be very very careful!!). Check in time is supposed to be 4:00 pm. The lobby was full of people sitting and standing everywhere. That should've been and indicator for me but after a long trip I wasn't thinking. I stood in line to check in and was told that our room needed just it's final housekeeping check and we would be good. They asked for a cell phone number so they could notify us in just a few minutes. Well, that few minutes ended up being about an hour. If we're able to check in at 4, I expect my room to be available at 4. If I would've checked out late, they certainly would've charged me. I noticed that this happened daily where people were sitting in the lobby, so it wasn't just a one-off case.

We finally head to the room and see that it is outdated. I do see that the hotel has commented that renovations are coming in the Fall - they are definitely needed. The appearance looked clean although there was a hair in the shower. The toilet was awful - you had to hold the handle down and hoped it fully flushed. I probably should've complained but I knew we were only there a few nights so I didn't fuss.

I was very disappointed in valet. We didn't use them, but my sister was bringing my niece and nephew to me and we were heading to the beach from our hotel. Since she is a Marriott timeshare owner, she had a pass to come down to park at the beach but when she got there, the valet wouldn't let them sit for the few minutes it would take me to walk from my room to the lobby (I was on the same floor). They made my sister drop her kids off and leave. It wasn't at a peak time (in fact it was after check-out time and before check-in time and there were no cars in the valet area) - I could understand if they were busy but they weren't. Instead valet thought it was better to leave two kids by themselves in a hotel lobby.

We were heading out of the hotel one day and decided to take the stairs instead of the front entrance because I always had to walk down the street. Well, I can say the stairs were just as bad. I made it most of the way down but ended up slipping near the bottom of the steps. An employee saw it, asked if I was ok then went in the employee entrance when I said yes. Personally, if I were the employee I would've told the customer to wait there while they got a supervisor or someone, but this one didn't. Later we noticed an employee hosing off the sidewalks. It had rained several days - the water was making them slippery. So the Marriott was paying an employee to hose the sidewalks and make them slippery. This made no sense to me. I did report my to the front desk supervisor when I checked out of the hotel - mostly because I think this is a HUGE safety concern. I only bring up the slippery sidewalks, steps and my fall because I want other customers to be careful. The front desk supervisor was good at making sure a report was filed. Thankfully I wasn't hurt, just bruised.

Honestly, I was thrilled that we only had 3 nights in this hotel before we moved on. We actually moved to a lower quality hotel - however the lower quality was so much better than this one. Even with the renovations, I don't think I would return. I want to be able to walk on a sidewalk not down the street!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HPFan2014
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

HPFan2014,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We truly value your feedback and choosing our resort. I apologize that this visit - we let you down. We are always striving to improve and provide all of our guest with a brilliant stay. We do hope you choose our resort in the future as we will be renovating this September. Thank you again for your time and sharing your experience.