We just returned from our trio to Hilton Head and the Marriott Resort and Spa. We selected this location based upon Fodor's and Frommer's recommendations. I admit that I read some Trip Advisor reviews prior to our departure and was concerned at what we might find upon our arrival. We did not experience any delays when we checked in, nor had any issues with valets and leaving our car in front of the hotel. In fact, the let us leave our car there while we brought our bags to our room.
While this hotel will be undergoing a renovation this fall, I am truly surprised Marriott let this hotel get to the state it is. We had a king room suite. We did not have any room odors, but did have deep scratches in the coffe table, drawers that didn't open or close propery and a door which required brute strength to open and close. The most annoying feature of the room was the shower. We never had a consistent shower, it varied from ice cold to steaming hot during each and every shower.
Our biggest frustrations were the wi-fi and maid service, as it was so inconsistent as to what items they would replace or clean. Thankfully we timed our return to our room well and the housekeeping carts were still in the hallway. We were able to replace towels, coffee, etc. As far as the wi-fi, I found the poor service truly unacceptable. I had no issues with signal/ speed off the property, but on the property, especially by the pool was just terrible.
We had the breakfast buffett twice, which I found pricey and low quality given the price. Our second and last time had many empty chaffing dishes. We also overheard some bickering among the staff.
I found the pool area quite small given the size of the hotel. We experienced 100 degree temps during our stay, and finding any chaise lounges under an umbrella required an early trip to the pool. The lounge chairs were situated very close to each other. If you wanted peace and quiet you needed to venture to the beach and spend around $30 for two chairs and an umbrella to rent for the day.
All that said, none of the issues I mentioned impacted our ability to enjoy this beautiful location. We found most of the staff warm and friendly. The concierge staff was exceptional, especially Martha.
I do hope this upcoming renovation turns the state of this hotel around. The location really cannot be beat. It is still sad Marriott let this location fall into such disrepair.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a premier oceanfront hotel at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. Our world-class resort in Hilton Head, SC offers you an island escape in utter paradise. Enjoy newly renovated guestrooms, award-winning dining, three championship golf courses and spa. In addition, our distinctive Hilton Head oceanfront hotel's staff always delivers superior service to make your stay even more special. Our outstanding family-friendly retreat also offers a wide array of impressive amenities, including golf, tennis, biking, parasailing and so much more. Take advantage of our unbeatable location and enjoy easy access to a variety of nearby destinations, including local airports, shopping and popular tourist attractions. Plus, this Hilton Head resort provides dynamic event spaces, creating an ideal location to host your celebration or professional conference. Experience supreme relaxation and scenic views at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Head Marriott Resort And Spa
- Hilton Head Marriott Hotel Hilton Head
- Marriott Hilton Head