Marriott's Monarch at Sea Pines
US$327
US$285
Marriott's Grande Ocean(Hilton Head)
US$736
Marriott
US$94
US$91
Red Roof
Beach House, A Holiday Inn Resort(Hilton Head)(Great Value!)
US$255
  • Pool
US$554
US$365
US$338
Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head(Hilton Head)(Great Value!)
US$174
US$153
Hampton Inn Hilton Head(Hilton Head)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$146
Travelocity
US$393
All reviewssea pinestwin bedsbeach club next doormagnolia buildingharbor town and south beachpools and hot tubsmarriott propertytime shareliving roomocean frontping pongsecond bedroomgrand oceanan older propertyvacation clubrented bikeshilton head island
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stayed on the first floor. Balcony lead straight out to the pools and beach. Rooms were big with 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths, a kitchen, and a living area. Parking was atrocious. Very hard to find a parking spot close to our building. Showers had very low pressure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Cavs_Fan_91
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed at the Monarch from May 25-June 7, 2013. This was our third year at the Marriott Monarch, so obviously, it is at the top of our list of places to stay on HHI. We have stayed in other Marriott properties on HHI, and visited all of them, and this is our favorite. It's not the newest or the fanciest, but it is the biggest bang for the buck (points) by far and we love the Monarch.

The first week, we were joined by our 22-year-old son and his fiance, and one of our 19-year-old sons and his friend. The second week, for several days, we were joined by some good friends from Atlanta. Just a note, if requested in advance, the twin beds in the guest bedroom can be made up by staff as a king-sized bed. We have requested this twice, and both times upon our arrival is has been done. And of course, no other hotel chain beats Marriotts for wonderful linens.

Many upgrades have been made since last year, including new window coverings, new queen sofa beds (mattresses are MUCH improved on these), new carpeting, and many upgrades to the property. This year, we were able to secure a first floor property, and we loved having the larger patio and we spent a great deal of time eating and relaxing on the patio. We always choose a garden view villa as the ocean view is just not worth the extra points to us when we can walk down and look at the ocean any time we want, plus we spend a great deal of time in the ocean.

Another improvement in this villa was a brand new walk-shower. I enjoyed the garden tubs but they were difficult for my husband to use in terms of getting in and out with his bad knees. The walk-in shower in the master bath was something we could both enjoy.

The children's pool area has been improved, as well, with the kiddie pool being replaced by fountains and a splash area. We no longer have young children, but I consider this a nice upgrade. Many areas on the property have been improved with new decking, they were in the process of adding remote-controlled boats to one of the ponds while we were there, and just in general, much seemed very much freshened up.

In general, we love staying in Sea Pines and feel like that makes a huge difference in terms of our enjoyment. We bring our own bikes (although rentals are readily available) and ride the many miles of bike paths through Sea Pines every day. The more private feel of Sea Pines is very appealing to us, and I probably wouldn't trade it for an ocean view at the more upscale Marriott Surfwatch as it is not in Sea Pines.

For those considering the Monarch, please see my other previous reviews for more nuts and bolts. Basically, everything needed in the villa is provided, including washer/dryer, and the villas are spotless. The staff is always well-informed and very friendly. When phoning the front desk, the phone is always answered very professionally. "Nicole", in particular, is very helpful. and the whole staff is extremely responsive. One night when we were a bit chilly, an extra blanket was delivered within minutes, for instance. When we set off our smoke alarm, the staff responded immediately to turn it off.

One other change worth mentioning is that this year, the Monarch staff is asking guests and owners to wear colored wrist bands while on the property and taking part in the activities and amenities. This prevents random people from the nearby public beach from coming onto the property unchallenged. This was not a problem for us, and the bracelets are just those rubber Livestrong-type bracelets, and the colors change weekly.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any question about the Marriott Monarch. We can't wait to make our reservation for next year!

Room Tip: We prefer villas in the Camillia building. The first-floor units have larger patios, generally, than upper floor villas.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank IrishEyes0421
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Prior to my visit I looked at other reviews that hyped up the newer properties like Grand Ocean and Surfwatch. On my visit to Hilton Head, I visited all the properties (except the two in Harbour Town) and I like Monarch the best.

The location is definitely the best. Being within the gates of Sea Pines Plantation changes the experience for the better because you completely lose the need for a car which is quite liberating on vacation. We biked everywhere, reserve was close, and both South Beach and Harbour Town are easy to bike to. The grounds within Sea Pines and the hotel are incredible too...even without an ocean view, the rooms have awesome peaceful views from all the balconies. This property is right on the beach as well without having to walk over long bridges to get to the beach like some of the other properties.

The only negative is that the floorplans are not quite as spacious as Surfwarch for example. For me, however, Monarch is the place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank caazmark
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful, relaxing vacation at the Monarch (April 6 - 13). I spent the first part of the week with a girlfriend, and our husbands arrived near the end of the week. Our villa was very nice with both pool and ocean views (Azalea building - 3rd floor). Prior to arriving, I requested that the twin beds in the 2nd bedroom be put together and you would have never known that it wasn't one bed. The ONLY negative about the villa was that although the furnishings were new and attractive, the sofa and chairs weren't particularly comfortable. We actually joked that the sofa was like sitting in a church pew. I do realize that it must be difficult to find attractive durable furniture, but it would have been a bit more enjoyable if the sitting area had been a little more comfy.

There is no pool bar (which would have been nice), but the Sea Pines Beach Club is right next door and serves drinks and lunch outside. the beach was a little crowded directly in front of the Beach Club, but fairly empty in front of the Monarch property. We brought our own chairs and umbrella and set up a nice quiet area each day near the beach access on the far side of the Azalea building.

We rented bikes at the Monarch ($30 per week) and I suggest that everyone do this (there are other rental places nearby that may be cheaper, but the convenience of renting at the Monarch is probably worth the price difference). We rode to Harbour Town a few times for both breakfast and afternoon cocktails. We took the free trolley (the stop is at the entrance to the Sea Pines Beach Club next door to the Monarch) to Harbour Town once for dinner. I highly recommend Harbour Town Bakery for breakfast - sit outside if the weather is nice. We also rode our bikes to Coligny Plaza - there are several restaurants and shops there too.

The staff at the Monarch is top-notch. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. We will be staying at the Marriott Grande Ocean in August - looking forward to it, but will miss being in Sea Pines.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank twt2005
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to do a road trip (finally vacation time) and I chose Hilton Head as part of my trip because all the reviews and pictures I found before, it was very quiet, and away from everything I know.. a 2 bedroom villa, that looked more like my apt in Charlotte! nice, clean big tv's, a friendly staff in the hotel that have different activities for everybody from morning to night time, also you can hang around in the pool jacuzzi, play some ping pong, walk to the beach. or go the restaurants nearby are to die for. This Monarch at Sea Pines is definitely two thumbs up!

Room Tip: A 2 bedroom villa for a family of 4, or for 2 couples it is the best selection (3rd floor), and a money saver, also asked the staff for the schedule of their daily activities and local restaurants you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple