“Decent stay for on a budget.”

Park Lane Hotel and Suites
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had room 366, by the elevator, but no ice machine on this floor. Noise from the hallway was pretty minimal until 10am each morning when I think housekeeping starts. There were some dogs in other rooms on this floor but they weren't too bad- didn't bark often and were halfway down the hall. The room was good but had a strange smell- I think it was the water which was highly chlorinated or a musty carpet smell, not sure. The bed was comfortable, hot water was good, flat screen TV, and well regulated temperature in the room. I was glad to have a room that didn't have one of those window/exterior AC/heating units like the economy hotels. Our heating was not noisy either. I'm used to drinking tap water but this water was not palatable at all- tasted like pool water there was so much chlorine. Had one sip and that was it. Although, there is a water cooler with filter in the coffee/breakfast area and that was good. The shower was okay, it didn't drain super well but it was hot. We only spoke with the front desk twice so far- for check in and then to look at nearby restaurants, they were okay. The lady at check in was bland but it was 4am when we got here. Breakfast was good-bagels, english muffins, danish, mini muffins, yogurt, oranges, apples, bananas, cereal, juice, milk, and pop tarts. But it is very busy unless you go at 6:30am. I rated sleep quality excellent but this is coming from someone who could sleep through a tornado. Our curtains were not sliding open and closed as they should have and kept getting stuck. Room had a fireplace but you have to pay $5 per log. A small bottle of Dawn dish soap would be good to wash dishes by hand.

My biggest complaint: Tomorrow we will check out and pay the $17 per night fees which includes a resort fee- not sure how this place classifies as a resort... totally not worth it. The internet has been so horrible, working on my finals and watching movies has been excruciating. Another recent reviewer also commented on this and my husband and I think it's the router- we had similar problems at home and that was our fix. Here's how bad it was!

This is our third time to HH. Next time, we hope to come when it is warmer.

Room Tip: I would stay in rm 366 again if I came back here.
1  Thank Jane R

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is extremely dated and worn out.
Room was not real clean. The couch sagged badly.
The "breakfast" was a not very good continental.
The employees are not helpful at all.
Only stay here if there is are no other rooms available on the island!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Our room is right next to the elevator, main entrance, and vending machines. We can hear the door slamming, people talking, and the elevator beepingoutside our room all night. This terrible cacophony is enhanced by the constant rattle of the refrigerator and a metallic clanging and humming wherever the heating unit comes on, which, owing to a drafty window, unfortunately frequent. Despite these incessant aural disturbances, my eight month old son is able to sleep in his brand new pack-and-play, which I bought from Target this evening because the 2 "cribs" that the hotel had provided were covered in dried milk (I hope not something worse), dirt, hair, and other unidentifiable stains. I've expressed my concerns to the staff and I pray they will find a better room for us tomorrow.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank NCtrave
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I checked in on 11/12 and out on the15th. The clerk at check-in was very pleasant. We looked at one room which was on the far end and on an upper floor. The room was nice but overlooked a bare wooded area. So, we chose room 121. The lighting was very dim; the patio door lock was extremely hard to lock, almost broke my finger nail. The second day we got up there was a water bug that appeard to be dead under the coffee table; when we came back in it was still there, but it moved, so I borrowed the housekeeper's broom and put it in her trash. One night, I thought I spotted something crawling on my pillow. I layed there for awhile and spotted what appeared to be a tiny ant crawling and flushed it down the commode. I'm not sure what it was; I am suffering with bites on my arms, finger on both hands and one thigh and the other knee. I know bugs was swamming at the beach on Thursday morning, so we left and went back that afternoon. The bugs was gone, but it was too cold to really enjoy the beach. I did not realize I had been bitten until Saturday. I went to the doctor yesterday and was given a shot and a prescription. One arm is all knotty, swollen, red, itchy, and painful. This is the worst vacation experience that I have had. I did not report any of the this to the hotel (other than the waterbug to the housekeeper). This hotel was not on the level that we are accustomed to stay at. I try to stay at hotels or resorts that are fairly new. This hotel was booked through Coral Resorts; we were lead to think we would be staying at a resort on the beach. I do not plan to return to this property. I'm not sure if the bug bites came from the beach or the hotel.

S. Love

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
12parklane, General Manager at Park Lane Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to review us. I'm sorry your booking agent lead you to believe we were on the ocean which we are definitely not, however. our mid-island location is a favorite of numerous guests because we are so close to fine dining and shopping as well as being steps away from the island bike/walking path which winds itself around the island.
We have not had any complaints regarding bites but I did insist that room 121 be completely checked out by our pest control vendor and was pleased to know that room 121 showed no evidence of pests. I believe that you unfortunately came in contact with what we call Sand Gnats at the beach which can cause your symptoms. Should you change your mind about staying with us again just give us a call!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We chose Park Lane because it was offered through a Groupon. We had never been to Hilton Head, so we did not know what to expect. We were a little disappointed to find out that Park Lane is owned by the sand company that owns the timeshare Coral Sands Resort. When we registered at the welcome center, we were asked to go to a timeshare presentation. We did not have to, but were offered a free stay in FL and a $75 visa gift card, so we thought, "Why not?"

Checking in was easy and the desk attendant was friendly and helpful. Our room wad in a side building overlooking the parking lot, but we figured that is the area reserved for the Groupon rooms. The property is not on the ocean, so it is not as though we missed out on a view of the ocean.

Our room was clean and smelled ok.....I had read some reviews that were not complimentary, so I was a little worried about the condition of the room. Everything was clean and as advertised....just old and tired. The bed was very comfortable and the towels were fluffy and soft. The lighting in the room was not very bright, so the room seemed dingy at night. We had no trouble adjusting the air conditioning temperature.

The bathroom was small, but cake an and functional. Our exhaust vent in the bathroom made a terrible noise when turned on and off. I suppose we should gave reported it, but we did not.

Breakfast was the usual bagels, pastries, muffins, juices, yogurts, fruit, cereal......everything was plentiful and fresh...no complaints there. My husband was pleased that the coffee was Starbucks.

We did not see a need for a $9.50/ day resort fee......this really was not a resort.....it was basically just to cover the wifi, but most hotels offer that for free anyway. We gad an exceptional Groupon price, and even with the resort fee, we still had an excellent price.

Because of the age of the property, we would probably not stay there again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sklovessummer

Thanks for your review. The Park Lane is not owned nor has any ties to any timeshare company. The Groupon you mentioned was solely provided by the timeshare marketing company. We hope that your first time to our wonderful island was great and that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Comfortable beds
Great area to walk dogs
Nice lobby
Great coffee
Nice pool area, quaint seating areas
Friendly staff
Easy bike ride to Coligny Beach
WILL BE BACK!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Hope1952
12parklane, General Manager at Park Lane Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thanks for the great review. I love it....short, sweet and to the point! Your review reminds me of a wishlist for Christmas and you got everything you wanted! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

A week ago we stayed at the Park Lane Hotel & Suites in Hilton Head and experienced really terrific customer service during a crisis. The fire alarms in the rooms went off at 2:30 AM and continued for quite some time. There was flooding in the hallway and the police and fire department arrived. Don't know what happened but do know that the young man who was on duty early that morning was very responsive. He gave us a new room upon asking, in the midst of a lot of chaos and so we had a place to sleep by 4:00 AM. When we realized that our second room didn't have water when we got up around 7:00 AM, we called the front desk only to find out that someone on the staff was on her way to us and others with keys to rooms in a second building. We know that all of this was good business but in an age where we tend to frequently experience and expect less, we were pleasantly pleased at how wonderful everyone on the staff at this hotel treated us. We spent three nights at the Park Lane and found the accommodations and continental breakfast very good.

1  Thank BJandCalvin

The staff at the Park Lane sincerely appreciate your comments regarding their service in times of duress as well as quiet times! That was an extremely busy time with the fire alarms but our staff were champions once again. We hope to see you soon!