“Could be much better”

Park Lane Hotel and Suites
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We visited this hotel as part of a promo for vacation rentals. We stayed two nights and three days. The rooms are not too soundproof as we listened to a small party across from the hall. We called the front desk but nothing happened. It is off the main road a little but in a neat area. The pool needed a little updating but the grounds were very neat. The morning breakfast was okay but nothing exceptional. With al of the competing properties in the immediate area, I thought it would be much better.not sure if we would return.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel, it is better maintained
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas B

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for several nights last October. The location was perfect, the suites were comfortable and convenient, and the staff was very nice. I had the opportunity to attend the Chamber of Commerce meeting around the pool area. Frankie Bones catered, and their food is awesome! For $10 I had a delicious meal and wine!
We rented bikes and enjoyed the cool temperatures.
I sleep with earplugs and a box fan where ever I stay, so noise would not be a concern for me.
We are returning this June and expect to have a great time!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Hope1952
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We will never stay here again. There supposedly was an upgrade a while ago, but we did not experience any physical improvement. The staff are friendly and there is a very good pool, but that is it.
Our unit/room was just barely clean. The chesterfield did not seem to have had a cleaning for a long time. The sheets were so thin, we could see through them. The bed was lumpy.
The cupboards had been "antiqued" badly.
Don't be persuaded to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carolyn M D
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I would have given them a higher score except for the noise. We stayed on the 1st floor in an end room by the exit door that slammed loudly each time someone came in or out which reverberated down the wall that our headboards were on and went on throughout the night. I could not fall asleep until 5 a.m. and was back up at 7 a.m. due to noise. My teenagers had fallen asleep at first but ended up waking back up around 2 a.m. and were awake until 5:00 also because of this. I would expect some noise during a stay at a hotel but not to this extent. The elevator dinged almost each time a person entered the building. The vending machine outside our room had a sticking flap door which we heard at 2 a.m. because you had to push hard on it to open and then would bang loudly once it opened. The toilet ran periodically which made the pipes bang when the water turned off, the banging pipes would be fine if someone was actually using the toilet but it did this throughout the night. The toilet looked older so they need to either replace it or replace the parts in it. Also the refrigerator made a tapping type noise which was irritating when you're already having a hard time falling asleep due to other noise. Also bring your own hairdryer, theirs are old and we only used it for a minute because it was making a terrible racket. They need replacing. I've stayed in an end room before at other hotels and it was never this loud. It looked like they were slowing updating the rooms but I've seen google reviews from 2007 saying the same thing, either they are really slow at this or they have stopped. The staff was friendly and they have a very nice breakfast area. The room was nicely decorated and clean. A/C unit looked new and ran great. The mattresses and pillows appeared new and were very comfortable as well as the sofa. Newer carpet and tile floor and tile surround in shower but the tub was old and had a quarter size rust spot. The tile around the shower faucet was cut larger than the faucet and was not filled in with anything, I hope they fix that soon with grout/caulking or cover plate so that mold doesn't start growing. Countertops and sinks appear newer. The kitchen cabinets looked refinished except the shelving looked like a particle board or like material and was warped and in bad shape. I loved being able to walk out the sliding glass door to the green area set up for pets, that was great for our little dog. Amazingly we never heard any dogs, and there were other dogs there. This would have been a great stay if it weren't for the noise. The building's exit door, elevator, toilet, vending machine are all things that could be fixed and make for a wonderful stay. I would gladly recommend them if they would fix those issues that cause the noises, if they don't then bring earplugs if you're near the exit.

Room Tip: First floor on the green space side is best for pets but don't get a room near the exit door unl...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Just had one night in hilton Head- this hotel was a hidden gem. Spacious charming suite among the palms. Old world charm. Great cold breakfast in charming dining area at the reception area. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We have been staying in this hotel for over 10 years, so past experiences have been very good. I'd recommend just a little "spiffing up" to maintain a rating above average. There are no dressers to store clothes and there could be just some paint and maintenance upgrades in the rooms and in the halls. I also was very disappointed in the breakfast offerings because we had enjoyed much better fare (waffle machine, eggs, meat) during prior stays. However, that being said, the location is perfect, the hotel is clean and the value for the price is acceptable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janecarpenter
Reviewed 25 April 2014

First my husband made this reservation with some sort of timeshare presentation. We have accepted offers like this before. However, it was at a Marriott timeshare (where they booked you into a Marriott) and a Hilton timeshare (where you were actually booked on the Hilton property you were viewing). If you are a Marriott, Hilton, Westin, kind of person, then don't book here as you will be sorely disappointed. The service here is pretty good and the people working here are very friendly. It does appear to be a family friendly hotel if one is looking for such accommodations. I like the security of using keys to get into the building, However, your next impression is an elevator that is all carved and scratched up. As one enters the room you notice a large kitchen area with a granite bar and kitchen table in the corner. The furniture is dated and could use replacing. Wi-fi is free. Breakfast is also included. The bathrooms are pretty small with no storage space. The towels in the bathrooms are of poor quality and very thin. The bathroom downstairs was not clean enough as the grout next to the tub could stand a good cleaning with some bleach. The soundproofing in the room is nonexistent. I have listened as my neighbors flushed their commodes and listened to their air conditioners as they came on. Not to mention each time they turned on a faucet to run water. There was also a dirty door upstairs in our area with a wrinkled shade. The condition of the property is sub-par considering it is listed as a resort. However, my main issue is being booked into rooms that were previously occupied by people with animals. They do not have separate buildings for those of us who don't care to share a space that has previously been occupied by someone else's animal. I don't care if they do vacuum the room twice, or dust a little more extensively. As a pet owner myself, I know how much work it takes as before I have guests in my home, my carpeting is professionally cleaned each time to deordorize and sanitize the carpet before my guests arrive. However, no amount of "extra" cleaning will make up for the furniture in our hotel room that had been used as a scratching post by a precious guest's cat. The young lady told me if I was not satisfied with the room she could move me. To where??? She can't guarantee a pet free room.
As for this being a resort. There is a pool out back and some sitting areas, and even though it appeared to be a nice little area it falls short of being a resort.

Again, it you travel extensively and you prefer Marriotts, Hiltons, etc, then you should really book somewhere else. By the way, my husband has been banned from accepting anymore timeshare presentations.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first to determine if you want to stay here
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple