“Not reflective of their brand”

Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Greenville, United States
“Not reflective of their brand”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is not the contemporary Hilton Garden Inn reliabiity that I am accustomed to. Rooms are very tired and more outdated "island" than expected. The breakfast really seemed cheap--fruit was not fresh and juices were watered down. Little interaction with service people who were not on the ball. On the upside, covered parking was nice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

4 Thank Nancy S B
Greg-Burnes B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete the brief survey regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head. I am sorry your experience was disappointing. Your detailed explanation of areas that lead to your response will assist us in addressing the root cause and eliminate that behavior or experience for future guests. We recognize that you have a choice of where you stay for your overnight accommodations. Each morning the team discuss any comments (good and constructive) sent in or communicated by guests. More personal interaction is expected in the breakfast area and attention to detail was our discussion this morning. I sincerely hope to have an opportunity to earn your return visit. In an effort to address the growing requests of our loyal guests we will be adding Dinner service and a lounge to better service our guests. Although the area is clean, the lack of color gives a perception of bland. You can count on us to address that too. Please feel free to contact me directly when returning to the area. Greg Burnes General Manager greg.burnes@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My family and I come to Hilton Head every summer, but decided to go in October just for fun. Normally we stay in condos, but we were only staying for 3 days and 4 nights, so we went with HGI. I was actually a bit nervous reading some of the reviews, but I ended up loving it! The room was super clean and pretty, the staff were really nice and asked my dad how the trip down was, and the breakfast was really good and the pool was great and they also have a hot tub which was nice. The only thing I really didn't like was the elevators. I am terrified of elevators normally, but after I rode in it the first time it made terrible shaky noises but of course everything was fine. Overall I loved this hotel! I would definitely come back to stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel1262
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The rooms were great and the staff were very accomodating, especially Rita and Justin. Rita answered our many questions and helped us with any additional needs that we had. We needed to download the latest version from my laptop to another fellow marine's GPS. We were having difficulties and Justin helped us until we could get the download to work, even though his shift was over and it was time for him to go home. We appreciated that so much and thought he certainly went above and beyond the call of duty. Usually hotel beds hurt my back, but these beds were very comfortable and they provided plenty of pillows. Their breakfast is exceptional; I especially liked their pancakes ... they were very yummy!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom V
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed here one night in order to attend a wedding in nearby Bluffton. We were pleased with the front desk reception and the room. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the bathroom clean with plenty of fluffy towels. We did not eat breakfast here. I don't recall when we checked in if the front desk even mentioned they had it available for purchase. The next morning we ended up eating at a Waffle House miles away. I'm sure the breakfast at the hotel would have been better! We thought the value for the money was excellent.

1 Thank Tvl B
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Normally my wife and I stay at a Hampton Inn on our travels (on my business travels, I stayed mostly at Marriott Courtyards.). Since the Hilton Garden in Hilton Head reviewed better than did the Hampton Inn there, we decided to give it a shot. After staying there, I don't think it was any better than most Hampton Inns we've stayed at (many, many).

Reception was good - quick and pleasant (received by Rita, a delightful lass from Hungary - we've found more and more eastern European young folk in the restaurant and hotel service here in the States. They've all been pleasant, educated, well spoken, in perfect command of the English language, and just generally a delight with which to interface.) Like the yummy cookies at check-in. We found Rita again at breakfast serving the guests.

The room, to me, seemed a bit smaller than the average Hampton Inn room. The bathroom approached tiny. The HVAC unit in the room was one of the noisiest I've experienced in a long time. And it didn't work correctly (the knobs did not do what they were supposed to - luckily the temperatures had turned relatively cool outside and the window unit did not have to run that long). A surprise was that, although there was a thermostat on the wall, we fond a note saying that the HVAC unit was controlled by the built-in unit controls. Normally one would find it the other way around - a note on the window unit saying that the temperature was controlled by the thermopstat on the wall. Not sure why thermostats were installed if they were not to be used???

Other than the thru-wall HVAC unit, we had no complaints about the room. It seemed clean and well appointed. The TV was lackluster - picture was dim and "dirty." But we didn't really need the TV.

Breakfast was great. I was worried that since I noticed at check-in that the size of the breakfast room was not all that large, that there might not be sufficient seating for all. There was - no problem. I had eggs to order and there was bacon, sausage, potatoes, grits, and, for the Southern clientele, biscuits and gravy. There was an assortment of the de rigueur juices, pastries, fruits, and cereals. My wife had here usual bowl of cold cereal. I got my $9.95's (the cost of the breakfast) worth at breakfast, my wife did not.

I did enjoy been able to park under the hotel at their ground level parking.

Getting into the hotel is a bit esoteric if you're coming from the west headed east toward the Island. I had to taker the bridge over to the island, make a U-turn (not easiest to do in the continuous traffic that never stops). I asked at reception how I should have gotten into the hotel. You have to turn into the road between two gas stations that appear before the hotel, then wend your way on a service road into the hotel - not explained at all on the hotel's web site (not , at least, that I could find). You'll have to miss it once, then you'll know how after you ask at the hotel after you arrive.

All-in-all a nice hotel, but I didn't find it all that exceptional as some reviewers did.

1 Thank Pfadfinder
Columbia, United States
Reviewed 26 October 2013

From the moment we arrived and Justin greeted us with a smile and a cookie, our stay was definitely one we enjoyed and will recommend as a convenient place to stay when visiting friends both in Bluffton and on HHI. The breakfast was wonderful. The laundry facilities were clean as was everything else in the hotel. Would stay there again except I don't have any desire to return to Hilton Head. Hope everyone has as pleasant a stay as we did.

1 Thank George W
Bend, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I am 71 years old and have done a lot of traveling in my time. This stay with the Hilton Garden Inn has got to be the best experience thus far. The price, room, friendly and helpful staff, and breakfast were all outstanding.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business