“Quick visit”

Coastal Discovery Museum
Ranked #5 of 115 things to do in Hilton Head
More attraction details
Owner description: If the beach gets boring, families head to this interactive museum to learn about the history and wildlife of sea islands.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

While visiting HIlton Head recently, we stopped at the Coastal Discovery Museum. We only stayed about an hour but you could stay longer if you wanted to. First of all, be sure to put the actual address into your GPS when looking for it. If you just put 'Coastal Discovery Museum' you'll be directed to a former location where there is now a restaurant located. The workers in the main house were very helpful, explained how there were 3 boardwalks on the property, a butterfly house, and a barn. The self-guided tour (which is free) had informational placards along all the paths. When we were there (May) we didn't see much wildlife.

2  Thank Ohio Traveller

Reviewed 3 June 2014

After arriving in Hilton Head Island, SC this is the first tourist attraction site that we visited in the island. It was a very relaxing stroll into their various exhibits. My kids thought that the Carnivorous Plants Bog Garden exhibit was very cool. We saw some Venus Fly Trap plants--some with insect still trapped inside--and pitcher plants. I think this museum offers a good introduction to the island for tourists like us.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have been to HII hundreds of times and were happy to have found this place. My 4 year old daughter loved the butterfly garden. We even came at feeding time for the horses! There was lots to see and even better it was free! Great for any age, my mother in law was with us, too.

1  Thank Sosnipperaug
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Coastal Discovery Museum is exciting for people of all ages. It has some wonderful exhibits that tell the history of Hilton Head as well as some great art and artifacts. The Butterfly garden is very special as are the walks around the grounds and into the marshes. This is a great way to start your stay on Hilton head.

4  Thank Bruce A
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I've passed this museum a thousand times. On a rainy day, I decided to go have a look. It's in a historic building (rare in Hilton Head), and had good exhibits on local history, natural history of coastal Carolina, and an archeology exhibit. They also have a beautiful nature walk (where I went with my dog!) with parts of a space capsule that came down to earth in the Atlantic and eventually showed up on the beach in Hilton Head. This would be a great place to take kids on a rainy day!

2  Thank Pasha2