“Great little adventure, but lots of ticks!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Newhall Audubon Nature Preserve

Newhall Audubon Nature Preserve
Ranked #56 of 116 things to do in Hilton Head
More attraction details
Owner description: Featuring a wide variety of fauna and flora, this scenic nature reserve also serves as home to many species of birds.
Southeastern US
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great little adventure, but lots of ticks!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

My family went two years in a row. Both years I sprayed my little ones down with bug spray. The first year we found a tick crawling on our son, and the second trip my 2 year old got a tick on her head. It is beautiful and I loved my time there, but it makes me nervous with little ones. If you want to check it out I would highly recommend bug spray, hats and a body check afterwards!

7 Thank tigeralumni

Vancouver, Canada
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 245 helpful votes
“Lovely albeit small”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

A great small nature park showing all the different natural parts of Hilton Head. A must see on the island. No admission charge and free parking. Dawn to dusk.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank jamesmorton
London, England
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Little peaceful oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is a small preserve that you can walk around in 30-45 minutes with great map at the start of the trail. When we visited it was very quiet and apart from a lady maintaining some of the plants we had the place to ourselves. Very peaceful and calm. Educational also with good labels.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank eastender7
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Peaceful oasis on a busy island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have passed the entrance to the nature preserve several times over the years - and wondered what was beyond the simple gravel path. We passed it again this morning but this time I took a few minutes to read up on the place. (Trip Advisor was very helpful.). Because it was beautifully described (and FREE) we decided to bike over from near Coligney Plaza (which I wouldn't recommend because the bike lane runs only along the opposite side of the 4 lane divided highway). But our family (3 adults) made it safely.

We had a difficult time finding a convenient place to secure our rental bikes, but after figuring it out, we walked quietly into the forest. If there had not been a few other people there you could feel like you were far away from civilization.

The trees and ground cover were well marked. The shade was a blessing and made it feel at least 10 degrees cooler than out in the sun on the highway.

We didn't see much in the way of wildlife (I'm glad no snakes because I was wearing sandals) until we got to the pond. The blue heron was willing to pose for quite some time and he/she was graceful as well as regal. We saw a few turtles in the pond and a few dragonflies and blue moths(?), but enjoyed the quiet and the beauty. I was glad to see sassafras trees again. They don't seem to grow near my home in Greenville, SC.

I would go again but probably by car and would love to take the grandchildren when they are old enough to walk.

7 Thank Sue E
Houston, Texas
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 334 helpful votes
“Nature at it's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

Driving by and saw the sign. Stopped in, saw alligator, snake, lizards, rabbits etc. Quiet, peaceful. Great hidden area.

5 Thank WesleyMCPA