“First class...all the way!”

Inn & Club at Harbour Town - Sea Pines Resort
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Carolina
“First class...all the way!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I took my husband here to celebrate his 40th birthday. We met in Harbour Town and love golf so it seemed like the perfect place! From start to finish, we were treated like royalty. We were greeted by name when we arrived, given a glass of champagne and a tour of the Inn. Guillermo was our first impression of the resort and he was wonderful. He explained everything, confirmed our golf and restaurant reservations and arranged transportation for us to each restaurant we were visiting for the three nights we were there.

Our room was on the third floor overlooking the #1 tee box, which we loved as we could watch people teeing off. The new clubhouse is undergoing a major renovation right now and there is construction around the clock. It did not bother us one bit. Since we are familiar with the old clubhouse, we were excited to see all the changes being made. The noise was not bad at all, we could not even hear it inside our room. Make sure to ask for a golf view room, otherwise you will be looking at parking lot.

The pool at the Inn is great! It is kind of a boutique infinity pool. It is on the smaller sixe but it meant for relaxing. There is a bigger more boisterous pool across from the Inn which would be better for kids. They serve food and drinks poolside which was a plus as it was really hot when we were there. Again, top notch service.

There is a small bar inside the Inn, but the great bartenders make it so much fun. We visited them quite often, I am sure they were sick of us by end of trip. :) The bar is open until 11pm which was more than fine for us. They have great range of beer, wine and spirits.

Turn down service was every night. The first night, my husbands actual birthday, we received a hand written card and a bottle of champagne wishing my husband best wishes and thanks for choosing to celebrate there. I knew I had made right decision! Rest of night we had chocolates and a card telling us weather for next day. Again all top notch little details that made you feel special.

The room was great too. The bathroom was awesome, big tub, roomy shower. All Molton Brown toiletries, very nice. Bed was super comfy, tv easy to use, balcony great to sit out and enjoy the beautiful Harbour Town links!

The entire staff was great the whole time we were there. They call you by name and want to help in any way possible. Many are interns from other countries and are excited to be in Hilton Head and it shows! We enjoyed everyone we came into contact with.

We ate at CQ's for my husbands birthday dinner, and Live Oak the night after. Both were amazing. And, the Inn provided transportation both ways, so no worried about having that extra cocktail, haha. Seriously though, it was a great option to have.

Would I come here again? Absolutely. My husband is still raving about this trip and we have been to Hilton Head over 50 times and stayed many places. We look forward to our return. Thank you so much for making my husbands birthday a success! He now says 40 is not so bad!

Room Tip: Ask for golf view room. Third floor is best!
3 Thank ktbride2b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had only a few days off together as a family before we headed off to various work and college locations. This was the perfect spot and this hotel was beyond all expectations. Beautiful views, great rooms, comfortable beds and truly exceptional service. The staff anticipated our every need and were tremendously accommodating, courteous and professional. Probably the best service we have ever seen. The hotel is conveniently located close to Harbour Town and the beach and we thoroughly enjoyed the bike riding through Sea Pines. Thanks for a great few days!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Allypjc
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at the Inn and wish we could have stayed longer. From the moment we arrived, the staff was absolutely wonderful. Throughout our stay they welcomed us back to the Inn by name, and continuously made themselves available in case we needed anything. On only one occasion did I actually have a request, and they responded to it (literally) within a minute. It's easy to forget that you're not the only guests there because they certainly make an effort to treat you as though you are.

The rooms are spacious, elegantly decorated and ours was spotlessly clean. While the bed was a little on the firm side for my normal taste, I still found it to be extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are huge and extras like the nightly turndown chocolates, complimentary bottled water, Molton Brown products, and an in-room Nespresso machine with flavored creamers added to the first-rate feel of the space.

There was construction happening next door (our room was the closest to it) and we never heard any noise until we actually stepped outside. The site itself wasn't attractive, but it was easy to block out and overlook when you took in the surrounding landscape. Additionally, the Inn is less than a five minute walk from Harbour Town, and free bike rentals provide even easier access to all the golf, shopping, and restaurants Sea Pines has to offer.

If you're debating on whether to stay here, a few things you should know are:
-The pool is peaceful and clean but small and quiet. I would not personally recommend taking small children here for good-natured, rowdy play time (although there is a larger resort pool right outside the Inn that would be more accommodating for family fun).
-This hotel is not situated on the beach. It's close- about a five minute drive or Trolley ride- but if you require a beach view you won't find it at the Inn!
-There aren't any "restaurants" on site, but they do offer a dining room, room and poolside service with a limited menu.
-There isn't a spa on site (again- it's a small, intimate place) but there is at least one (Le Spa) close by in Sea Pines if you enjoy being pampered on your vacation!

Overall we were extremely pleased with our experience and look forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a view of the golf course! It's well worth it for the beautiful view!
5 Thank CC_Riggs
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Inn at Harbour Town certainly knows how to do it... from the personal named welcome by the valet to the "welcome to Harbour Town" glass of champagne... the staff really aims to please.

The resort is a bit hampered by construction of the new clubhouse next door and when it opens in 2015 I'm sure the experience at the Inn will be even better.

The rooms are very clean and spacious... free internet.. extra towels... ice delivered to your door in the afternoon.. etc. We travelled as a family of four with two rooms.. we were unable to secure connecting rooms for our two night stay.. but that may have been a timing issue. Luckily my children are in their late teens and able to stay in an unconnected room with no concerns.. but if you absolutely need them connecting then you should ask ahead...

A couple of informational notes -- there is no "restaurant" on site.. it is truly a Inn. They have breakfast in the morning but it is ordered from a menu and served by a waiter vs. some kind of buffet.. so if you want to eat before an early tee time you'll need to plan for that. About 5-10 minutes walking distance is the main sea pines sets of limited restaurants... but there are many choices elsewhere as well although you'll probably want a car (or bike) to get there. I believe that the clubhouse when finished will have dining options as well and that will be very convenient.

The golf is impeccable... highly recommended by my husband and teenage son who have played many fine courses in the past.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank katredd
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the inn at harbour town for the first leg of our honeymoon and were left disappointed. We would strongly advocate anyone thinking of visiting to cancel until after the building works have been finished in April 2015 (read below to understand why) and even then I think there are better value places to stay in this price range.

For full disclaimer - I did complain to the hotel about our experience and while they did make some gestures of their own accord acknowledging the shortfalls their failure to be fairer about compensating us in the context of what we spent relative to what we experienced galvanised me into writing this - I don't usually complain but felt so aggrieved in this instance that I was stung into action. While cathartic to have the rant I hope someone else is spared the same disappointment through reading this so some good may come of it!

The main issue that made this such a poor experience rather than simply average was that they are refurbishing the golf centre - while they notified us this might be a slight eye sore in the distance at booking, they failed to mention the incessant noise starting 7am each day running 7 days a week. They also certainly didn't mention the possibility of the all night concrete pouring we endured during one of our nights - a note pushed under our door warned us of this on the same morning! Coming from London I'm used it city noises but this was like living on a building site - lights, reversing lorries and shouting from 9pm through to 5am. If they can do that to us I guess they can do it to you! For the rest of the time the constant noise limited our enjoyment of the balcony and of the pool. To be fair to the staff they did offer us a room on the back side of the hotel for this one night which probably would have been quieter had we realised quite how noisy the concrete pour was going to be...though decided against taking them up on this as my wife was not feeling well and so didn't want the hassle of repacking even though the hotel would have helped. Also we would have been overlooking the parking lot and the tennis court so was not convinced it was that much better. I did complain about this to the hotel management and to their credit they did give me a c 5% rebate although personally I thought they should have rebated the full concrete night as well as a more significant % on the rest of our nights. Their argument was nobody else complained - it's the first time I have heard that as a justification from anyone working in customer service and for me simply confirmed that this is not as high a quality establishment as the marketing material claim.

Staff: 7/10
The staff are lovely - they use interns for a large number of roles who by in large do an excellent job. Occasionally you feel like a Guinea pig where they can test run which feels a bit odd when you are paying the rates they charge but they are charming and try hard. The manager Mirna is charming and made an effort in the circumstances.

Food: 7/10
The food in the resort on the whole is average and often limited to processed and unhealthy food (chips, pizza, greasy processed meats etc). You have to eat at the inn or the live oak to get better quality food or fresh veg and even they are underwhelming - eg it's unusual in my experience to stay somewhere in this price bracket and not be able to get freshly squeezed orange juice at breakfast. There is a nice beach restaurant which has been recently built though hard to get a table unless you get there early- location is better than food!

Accommodation: 8/10
I thought the rooms were good (linen, mattresses, bathrooms etc) although we were in a room that could be joined with the one next door so we could hear noisy neighbours on a few occasions. You would not want to be on the non golf course side as you are literally looking onto a parking lot!

Tennis / golf: 7/10
I'm a 4.5/5.0 tennis player and been to a number of other tennis camps in the us on the east coast (saddlebrook, bollitieri etc) and thought this compared unfavourably - I had to book 1-1 tennis lessons each day because there was such little else going on as part of the main program. If you are a serious tennis player you are better off going elsewhere though I had a great coach called josh for my one on ones. Even as a casual player I think you would do better elsewhere as it all lacked real energy. I don't know about the golf. Next time I would be inclined to try kiawah island which has an excellent reputation and not far away.

Overall: 7/10
For the price they charge 7/10 strikes me as distinctly average with a lack of attention to detail eg petrol blower cleaning the pool outside bedrooms in the morning disturbing sleep! Given the price I was expecting something higher end. I don't know the Forbes 4* system but either they are ruining their brand on this one or I wouldn't want to stay in similar properties, certainly not for stays longer than a couple of days.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Oliver C
SPRMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Inn & Club at Harbour Town - Sea Pines Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
While we are sorry to hear that this guest did not enjoy their stay, we would be remiss if we did not clarify or correct some of the more misleading points made in this review.

We were more than forthcoming about development taking place at the nearby Harbour Town Golf Links clubhouse, both during booking and check-in. When we were notified that there would be increased activity due to a concrete pour, our general manager reached out to guests immediately and offered any assistance that might be needed.

We spoke with this guest in person and on the phone, doing everything in our power to ensure their satisfaction. As the guest mentioned, he refused our offer of a different room, and at the end of our exchange we were left with the impression that we had reached an amicable agreement.
We were obviously mistaken, as they soon sent a letter requesting 50 percent off of their stay. This was after he had already been generously compensated for his inconvenience. At that point, the guest implied that if we did not comply with his request, he would write a negative review on TripAdvisor. Which, obviously, he did.

The fact of the matter is that of more than 100 guests at the inn that night, with the general manager on-site, the reviewer was the only guest who was unhappy. We are proud that our staff was able to anticipate potential problems and believe this is reflective of our commitment to the finest in hospitality. Our track record of flawless reviews on this and other sites reflects this as well.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Nice welcome from staff with a glass of champagne on arrival and a full tour of the property and the room features. Whilst the exterior of the hotel is looking a bit dated, the rooms are large and nicely decorated. The surplus for a golf view room seemed like good decision, our room overlooked the first tee (rather then the parking lot) which made the balcony more useful. Beware the adjacent golf clubhouse has been pulled down, due to reopen in May 15. We didn't know this before booking but were informed well in advance of arriving. Harbour Town is a 5 minute walk and has a few eating and drinking options, with a few more elsewhere on the Sea Pines property. Be aware it takes 15 mins+ to go "outside the resort" for other choices. Breakfast was a la carte off a reasonably restricted menu, but was well executed. Overall a good stay, with the eager young (almost all hotel management students) staff leaving a good impression.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KGM77
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

From the moment you arrive at the Inn one is overcome with a real sense of calm and relaxation . The valet takes care of your car,check in is a breeze and with an ice cold glass of champagne you are briefed on the features of the Inn and before you know it you are comfortably settled in your room.Beds are extremely comfortable and the bathrooms large and luxurious. In room coffee is certainly nice to have. We enjoyed the use of the bicycles to get around bit there are several restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. The staff are helpful and very responsive and the grounds beautifully maintained. The free shuttle service to the beech is just a few steps away from the hotel. We enjoyed a relaxing stay and would recommend it to friends

2 Thank 239sdc